Difference between 99-2000?

RandomNerd2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 5.0, 01 4.0.
So question, upon a weird discovery. Are 1999 and 2000 Explorers, both 5.0 V8 AWD identical, same towing capacity etc?

Reason for asking is I had to do the rear brake pads on my 2000 today, and I discovered they're bigger than the 99 rear brake pads it had on it. They matched the originals but not the 99 ones I had on it, which has me curious. Did anything change from 99 to 2000 on 5.0 V8s?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RandomNerd2000, for what it is worth, I checked on Rock Auto.com and on NapaProlink.com. Both list the same part numbers for rear disc brake pads for 1999 & 2000 Explorer 5.0L.
Post photos of the brake pads you took off, please.

So upon checking, the 99 pads matched my parts truck Mountaineer and my 2001 Eddie Bauer. So I took the part number off the box, sure enough that's the proper pad box. The 99 pads were the right pads, and the box the pads came in were ALSO the right pads, so then I got curious of what kind of pads did he sell me?

Turns out since they're Carquest/Advance Auto pads, with the numbers on the pads themselves, I just googled the number. They're the pads for a 2006/2010 Explorer, in the box for a 95-01 Explorer. Interestingly enough they clear the rotor, despite being bigger, they fit the bracket just fine and they stop better than ever before. I can stand up on the brake pedal now and it doesn't nose dive anywhere near as bad and it stops GREAT.

I'm gonna be keeping this setup unless someone has a blatantly obvious objection, it seems better than stock, and has no visible harmful effects

very interesting I will be sure to look into fitting the 2006 pads onto our calipers..
We are talking about front pads correct?

To answer your question there are no differences between a 1999 and 2000 5.0L truck as far as the brakes (or anything else) go

@410Fortune These are the rear pads I've just replaced, they fit the brackets and rotors perfectly fine, just like they're made for it, just bigger than stock. Considering I occasionally tow with this truck, the bigger rear brake pads are a welcome addition, I never understood why Ford kept the pad so narrow and left a fair portion of rotor untouched.

^ Possibly that rear brakes don't work as hard in everyday driving so a smaller pad keeps more front-rear balance?

Well I found, might be a product of worn pads on the back vs good front ones, worn shocks etc that if you got on the brakes very hard it would really nose dive, but now it's a lot more level under a harder stop. Could've been a difference in pad material from front to back too but I'm not sure. It's been long enough since I drove a different truck I can't tell you.

Back