Max Tire Size

121x

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hi All,

New member and first time poster here. My wife is driving a '13 Limited with the 20" wheels. I was all set to replace the OEM Hankook Optimo's with a set of Michelin XLT M/S2 only to find that Michelin does not make that tire in the factory size of the Explorer with 20" package.

That said, I would still like to go with that tire given past experience (I am looking for an excellent all season tire that excels in the snow, which the LTX M/S2 does for being an all season).

Anyone know what the max size we can put on the explorer without rubbing? It appears the Michelin comes in a 275/55 r20. I am thinking that is going to rub or look possibly look out of place? The Explorer could do with slightly more rubber to fill the wheel well, but not sure if this is too large...

Any advice is welcomed and very much appreciated! I was set on ordering today when I realized they do not make an LTX M/S2 in a size that is native to the Explorer :-(

I am open to other comparable tires as well...

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All,

New member and first time poster here. My wife is driving a '13 Limited with the 20" wheels. I was all set to replace the OEM Hankook Optimo's with a set of Michelin XLT M/S2 only to find that Michelin does not make that tire in the factory size of the Explorer with 20" package.

That said, I would still like to go with that tire given past experience (I am looking for an excellent all season tire that excels in the snow, which the LTX M/S2 does for being an all season).

Anyone know what the max size we can put on the explorer without rubbing? It appears the Michelin comes in a 275/55 r20. I am thinking that is going to rub or look possibly look out of place? The Explorer could do with slightly more rubber to fill the wheel well, but not sure if this is too large...

Any advice is welcomed and very much appreciated! I was set on ordering today when I realized they do not make an LTX M/S2 in a size that is native to the Explorer :-(

I am open to other comparable tires as well...

Thanks guys!
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I don't see the tire you are referring to on www.1010tires.com. They do list an LTX Winter tire bit it's snow rating is the lowest of all it's other ratings. The tire is rated a 3.2 out of 5. Snow traction is only a small part of a tires ability. The true test of a Winter tire is it's ability to handle cold bare pavement by not becoming stiff like so called all season tires. A 275/55R20 is not a suitable replacement for a 255/50R20. The acceptable maximum diameter variance is 3% and that tire is 6.23%. I suggest that you use the tire size calculator on the site I mentioned. It is under Tools & Tech and is very handy. A 245/50R20 would work if they have that size. Variance is 1.31%
You may want to check out the thread on Winter Wheels and Tires; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372353&highlight=winter+tires.

Peter

I have used the LTX M/S2 on my 2010 Explorer that had 16" wheels. While a good all season tire, it's a lousy winter tire, especially when there is ice. I quit running them in the winter and got dedicated winter tires which made a whole world of difference.

And Peter is right, you can't replace it with a 275/55 r20

2011 limited 265/50r20

content://media/external/file/48847

looking to see if I can put 275 / 55 20 on my 20 in wheels on my 2012 Explorer

Just curious where that 3% number originated and if it is actually still relevant. Not trying to pick a fight or anything, but I can't seem to find anything to support that claim. The only reference I have ever seen to tire diameter changes related to the affect on indicated speed and apparent fuel consumption. The Government requires(?) auto manufacturers to under-report/indicate the vehicle speed so the manufacturers have historically chosen a 3% error as a safe amount to ensure meeting the guideline.requirement.
Example:
Speed Limit 70 mph
Actual speed on stock tires/wheels: 67.9 mph Indicated speed = 70 mph --- you are actually under the limit by 2.1 mph
Actual speed on 6.2% larger circumference tires (275/55r20 vs 255/55r20): 67.9 x 1.062 = 72.1 mph so you are EXCEEDING the speed limit even though the car shows you are going 70 mph.

Is there more to it than that?

The 3% warning comes up when I use the tire size calculator on 1010tires.com with a warning that exceeding it may lead to brake failure. Tire Rack also refers to "Plus Sizing" with the notation that "large changes in overall tire diameter can alter the accuracy of the speedometer as well as the effectiveness of anti-lock braking system (ABS), traction control and vehicle stability system."
It also goes on to say "the maximum Plus Size applications for pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles result in wheel and tire combinations that are significantly heavier than the vehicle's Original Equipment (O.E.) tires and wheels. This increase in weight can lead to longer stopping distances, as well as increased suspension and brake wear."
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=25
The 2016 actually has different safe tire sizes that can be selected in one of its modules which will adjust for different systems like ABS.

Peter

Thanks for that info.
The ABS issue was one that I had not considered. With everything being electronic now, can the dealership recalibrate the speedo, abs, etc. or are they strictly hands-off because of liability?
One of the car mags, Car & Driver?, did a test at some point on handling changes caused by tire/wheel size changes. I found it interesting that without suspension changes, going to a wider wheel/tire actually decreased lateral grip. I've always chuckled at people altering cars like a BMW 3-series for "better" handling without any proof.

Maybe the next Federal stimulus will be a massive overhaul of Michigan roads. Until that happens, I would love to have some 65 sidewalls!

I'm currently running 275/50/20's on my 2011 Limited. Michelin Premier LTX's. Great tire but $$$$.

So as I shop around for an alternative, there's a lot more options with 275/55 r20 than they are with 275/50.
Also I wouldn't mind a little more cushion as the stock suspension on my truck isn't the best, but that's another conversation.

Anyone here run 275/55/20's on your truck or know if I should be concerned about fitment? Any issues besides the speedo?

Thanks in advance...my first post, by the way.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was moved to this one. See the discussions above.
The generally accepted guideline is that a tire should not exceed the maximum diameter variance of 3% compared to the OEM size. The ones you are running now are 2.6%. The 275/55/20 tires will exceed the OEM size by 6.2% or twice the accepted maximum. Larger tires mean more weight which in turn puts extra strain on braking and suspension components as well as possibly more rolling resistance and the effectiveness of anti-lock braking system (ABS), traction control and vehicle stability system. All these system were spec'd with the factory tire size in mind.
255/50-R20 vs 275/55-R20 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World

Peter

I'm currently running 275/50/20's on my 2011 Limited. Michelin Premier LTX's. Great tire but $$$$.

So as I shop around for an alternative, there's a lot more options with 275/55 r20 than they are with 275/50.
Also I wouldn't mind a little more cushion as the stock suspension on my truck isn't the best, but that's another conversation.

Anyone here run 275/55/20's on your truck or know if I should be concerned about fitment? Any issues besides the speedo?

Thanks in advance...my first post, by the way.

You'll tear your car up with those, and most reputable tire shops won't install them. Maybe Walmart?

Really?
You'll tear your car up with those, and most reputable tire shops won't install them. Maybe Walmart?
Really! The dealer just told me they'll fit with minor speedo issues. I wouldn't be surprised if they were wrong though.
For context...here's my truck with 275/50 R20's again...was just curious if I could increase the height a little to 55.

As I pointed out in my post #12, they (255/55) are way over the accepted diameter variance and could lead to the issues laid out. I don't think it would be a wise choice.

Peter

2015 w/ 275/55r20 Tires

New member here, first post. Just had the 255/50r20 tires on my 2015 EX XLT changed out for 275/55r20s. I was worried at first about the front rubbing, but they actually clear nicely. My question is: is anyone else on here running this size on a 2011-2019? Or anything comparable? Have you had any issues. Yes, I know I'm over the 3% difference in radius and that my scrub radius is -9% now (which actually has its advantages in braking and control). The additional weight doesn't bother me as the braking still feels great. So, how about it? Anyone else out there? Or any opinions about what to watch for with these?

Thanks and Semper Fi.

Tires Tire 1 (255/50 R20) VERSUS Tire 2 (275/55 R20)
Section Width 10 ¹⁄₁₆" 10 ²⁷⁄₃₂"↑ 8%
Sidewall 5 ¹⁄₃₂" 5 ³¹⁄₃₂"↑ 19%
Overall Diameter 30 ¹⁄₁₆" 31 ¹⁵⁄₁₆"↑ 6%
Circumference 94 ³⁄₈" 100 ¹⁄₄"↑ 6%
Revs per mile 671 632↓ 6%
Speedometer Assuming that this is OE tire and speedometer readings are correct When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 63.7 km/h
Typical Weight 17 kg 20.1 kg↑ 18%
Rim + Tire Weight 32.8 kg 35.9 kg↑ 10%

There you have it. I went DOWN to 18" rims, but proper (same diameter) for my Blizzaks for snow tires.

Tires Tire 1 (255/50 R20) VERSUS Tire 2 (275/55 R20)
Section Width 10 ¹⁄₁₆" 10 ²⁷⁄₃₂"↑ 8%
Sidewall 5 ¹⁄₃₂" 5 ³¹⁄₃₂"↑ 19%
Overall Diameter 30 ¹⁄₁₆" 31 ¹⁵⁄₁₆"↑ 6%
Circumference 94 ³⁄₈" 100 ¹⁄₄"↑ 6%
Revs per mile 671 632↓ 6%
Speedometer Assuming that this is OE tire and speedometer readings are correct When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 63.7 km/h
Typical Weight 17 kg 20.1 kg↑ 18%
Rim + Tire Weight 32.8 kg 35.9 kg↑ 10%

There you have it. I went DOWN to 18" rims, but proper (same diameter) for my Blizzaks for snow tires.

I calculated most of this myself already. Nothing is too serious as far as Ford Service is concerned, so I don't understand what you're trying to tell me?? But thanks for the info.

New member here, first post. Just had the 255/50r20 tires on my 2015 EX XLT changed out for 275/55r20s. I was worried at first about the front rubbing, but they actually clear nicely. My question is: is anyone else on here running this size on a 2011-2019? Or anything comparable? Have you had any issues. Yes, I know I'm over the 3% difference in radius and that my scrub radius is -9% now (which actually has its advantages in braking and control). The additional weight doesn't bother me as the braking still feels great. So, how about it? Anyone else out there? Or any opinions about what to watch for with these?

Thanks and Semper Fi.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this existing one on the same discussion.
Your diameter difference is 6.2% or twice the accepted maximum. That will put extra strain on both the brake, suspension and ABS systems due to the extra weight. It should NOT improve braking nor handling as the vehicle suspension was 'tuned/setup' for the OEM specs.

Larger wheels and tires are heavier. That means more rotating mass that has to be brought to a halt, and a compromise in braking performance, with more brake wear and longer stopping distances. On a truck, in particular, those big wheels tend to be much heavier can mean premature wear on suspension, steering and drivetrain parts. Premature wear on steering parts, in particular, will make wheel alignment difficult.
Oversize Wheel and Tires – A Good Idea? at chabillstire.com

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...It should NOT improve braking nor handling as the vehicle suspension was 'tuned/setup' for the OEM specs...

So just as a side note here, this size tire will give a more negative scrub radius ("the distance at the road surface between the tire center line and the SAI line extended downward through the steering axis").

"An advantage of a negative scrub radius is that the geometry naturally compensates for split µ braking, or failure in one of the brake circuits."

This may not "improve" braking, but will be a benefit.

"It also provides center point steering in the event of a tire deflation, which provides greater stability and steering control in this emergency."

"Older cars tended to have very close to zero scrub radius but often on the positive side, while newer cars with ABS tend to have a negative scrub radius."

(Wikipedia, Scrub Radius)

Back