Anyone tried 1 inch body lift and 2 inch front coil spacers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone tried 1 inch body lift and 2 inch front coil spacers?

Yellow Jacket

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT V8
Just curious how much clearance a conservative approach to lifting our Explorers would generate. Like for example a 1 inch body lift and a 2 inch front coil spacers? Then I guess the back spacers would need to go up what about 1 inch?

I'm going to lift my vehicle but don't want to create maintenance or reliability issues. From what I can tell, a few problems have been created by going to high with coil spacers.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been wanting to do a 2" body lift and a 1" coil spacer lift on the front but so far have only found a 1.5" billet spacer
1point5lb.jpg

picture of Gen 1 front with 1.5" spacer

I have been wanting to do a 2" body lift and a 1" coil spacer lift on the front but so far have only found a 1.5" billet spacer
View attachment 162169
Since your truck is not a Gen3 the suspension is completely different, and the resulting issues with a suspension lift are not the same.

That is true. Once I took a lot of parts off of a Gen 3 but I can't remember how it was configured. I hope that my Gen 1 suspension picture doesn't confuse anyone. I could edit to avoid misleading anyone.
I apologize for posting in the wrong section...

Here is my truck after a 3" body lift, still with the stock 29" tires. This would be close to having a 1" body lift & 2" spacer lift:

Here is the truck with the 3" body lift, a 2" spacer lift and 32" tires (265/75/16):

Here is my truck after a 3" body lift, still with the stock 29" tires. This would be close to having a 1" body lift & 2" spacer lift:

Here is the truck with the 3" body lift, a 2" spacer lift and 32" tires (265/75/16):

Is yours a 2wd or 4x4

Thanks, but I'm not interested in a 3 inch body lift or even how it looks. I'm concerned about functionality and reliability.
I only posted to show you how 3” of lift would look like with stock wheels. If you don’t like how that looks, I doubt you’ll like how a 2” spacer lift with a 1” body lift (3” of lift) will look. Besides, you never mentioned that ‘looks’ were important.

As far as reliability, a 2” spacer lift will put extra stress on your upper and lower ball joints as well as the CV joints due to the increased angle of the control arms. Depending on how you drive and maintain the vehicle, there could be reliability issues down the road. I used all Moog greaseable ball joints due to their rigid construction and zerk fitting. The pro to a spacer lift is the increased ground clearance under the chassis.

As far as functionality, a spacer lift ‘shifts’ the suspension travel towards the lower extreme. Sure, you will have 2” more upward travel, but the downward travel will be 2” closer to bottoming out. A body lift leaves your suspension geometry unchanged.

Do you plan to increase tire size and/or change backspacing/wheel offset?

I only posted to show you how 3” of lift would look like with stock wheels. If you don’t like how that looks, I doubt you’ll like how a 2” spacer lift with a 1” body lift (3” of lift) will look. Besides, you never mentioned that ‘looks’ were important.

As far as reliability, a 2” spacer lift will put extra stress on your upper and lower ball joints as well as the CV joints due to the increased angle of the control arms. Depending on how you drive and maintain the vehicle, there could be reliability issues down the road. I used all Moog greaseable ball joints due to their rigid construction and zerk fitting. The pro to a spacer lift is the increased ground clearance under the chassis.

As far as functionality, a spacer lift ‘shifts’ the suspension travel towards the lower extreme. Sure, you will have 2” more upward travel, but the downward travel will be 2” closer to bottoming out. A body lift leaves your suspension geometry unchanged.

Do you plan to increase tire size and/or change backspacing/wheel offset?

Thanks for the input.

I just bought a new set Cooper At3f 265/75r16s but haven't mounted them up yet, but when I do it'll be on the stock rims as I've read that's the biggest tire that'll fit in the spare tire location and the biggest tire you can use without any lift (sometimes).

After having read page after page of lift threads, I had come to the conclusion that a 2" spacer lift up front was conservative enough to not cause a lot of problems. I see clearly where 2.5" and bigger spacers cause issues with upper swing arms, but thought I had the thing figured out until reading your post.

I will be scouting for deer and will need the extra ground clearance, which is why I'm not interested in the body lift. I'll also be mounting a hitch receiver on the front with tow hooks and getting a winch because where I'm going, I don't want to get stuck and have to rely on someone to get me out.

Again, thanks for the input.

Just keep an eye on your ball joints for excessive wear if you go with a spacer lift. My OEM uppers were shot, changed them both while I was in there, they were cheap enough. This fall I think I’ll do the lowers, I noticed a small tear in one of the boots.

The 265’s should fit, watch for rubbing at the extremes. I have -6 offset rims and the tires are still close to the fender liner.

Just keep an eye on your ball joints for excessive wear if you go with a spacer lift. My OEM uppers were shot, changed them both while I was in there, they were cheap enough. This fall I think I’ll do the lowers, I noticed a small tear in one of the boots.

The 265’s should fit, watch for rubbing at the extremes. I have -6 offset rims and the tires are still close to the fender liner.

Okay, will do. My Explorer has almost 103k miles on it and all original parts, so I anticipate something wearing out pretty soon anyway. When parts need to be changed, I'll keep Moog in mind.

Again, thanks for the info...and I like your Explorer, it looks pretty cool!

i have an 05 mountaineer i just put a set of those same cooper tires on it, there is a thread 1.5 inch body lift for 50 bucks, so that's what i did, it was about $70 for the stuff needed to do the lift. i bought all new bolts and one extra spacer..for those tires to work you will need 2" Hubcentric Wheel spacers

Back