Separate wheels/tpms, definitive edition for 2016+ explorers. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Separate wheels/tpms, definitive edition for 2016+ explorers.

Thanks for the information @peterk9 . All my reading is confirming what you are telling me that I need new sensors.

I have Forscan, I may try that route.

I have a hard time believing that the car will automatically retrain the system/senors. I've been driving around for about a week and the display never changed when I switched to my winter wheels. However, when I went on a longer trip away from home, the TPMS warning light went on and a warning indicated a TPMS fault after about 30-40kms drive. When I got home 6 days later, the fault went away and is showing the same values. I am convinced that the tires in my garage are communicating back to the vehicle. The crazy part is that they are 30 feet away. Since my drive to work is fairly short (15 mins/10kms), I doubt I'll see the warning come back on until I go away on another long trip.

Therefore, I believe that the "relearn" may be actually mistaken as the car picking up the other tires nearby. What I don't understand is why the sensors are different. Apparently even in the 2014s, the individual tire pressures were available via Forscan. However, the sensors do appear to look different based on what RockAuto shows.

Do you have any links referring to using Forscan to retrain older sensors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks @peterk9

I have been seeing conflicting reports as to the frequency I require. I'm 99% sure it is 315MHz, but how can I confirm? I tried using that ETIS link that you posted on another thread, but I'm not sure it works anymore, since I can't find anywhere to list the components in my vehicle.

Thanks @peterk9

I have been seeing conflicting reports as to the frequency I require. I'm 99% sure it is 315MHz, but how can I confirm? I tried using that ETIS link that you posted on another thread, but I'm not sure it works anymore, since I can't find anywhere to list the components in my vehicle.
The site was changed. I was told that you now have to sign up/register to see the details. I looked into doing that but to do so I would have had to enter incorrect/false info. 315MHz is correct from what I recall.

Peter

I've confirmed that it is 315MHz. I found what appear to be genuine OE sensors on eBay (here in Canada) and have ordered a few. Will see what I end up getting :)

I found a YouTube video showing how to DIY change them, so I'll give that a try!

Hi nccmra, we just upgraded from a 16 Escape SE to a 18 Explorer Limited.. looking to have some 18" rims with snow tires next year, were you able to find working TPMS sensors? I do have the 315mhz, and believe the part number is F2GZ-1A189-A.

What was all needed to program the Explorer? You mentioned a youtube video, can you provide the link or name of the video?

thanks

Welcome to the Forum Steve.:wave:
That looks like the correct part as per this site; Tire Pressure Monitor Components for 2018 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear La The strange thing is that when I just did a search on just the part number without specifying a vehicle that site comes up with different vehicles; Tire Pressure Sensor - Ford (F2GZ-1A189-A) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear La
Unless you plan to put the Winter tires on the 18" wheels yourself, why not just have the dealer or whichever shop you go to, do the installation and programming for you?
I switch from OEM 20" to 18" Winters every year and the dealer does the programming as part of the job. Takes no time at all.

Peter

TPMS Tire rotation

I'm sure this has been covered, and I apologize for inquiring again but couldn't find anything on the search. I recently rotated my tires and the tire pressure readings are in the wrong locations. How long does it take for the car to pick up the change of positions. I'm sure it does this in some way. I couldn't find any learn feature so I know that it must do it automatically. TIA.

Hi nccmra, we just upgraded from a 16 Escape SE to a 18 Explorer Limited.. looking to have some 18" rims with snow tires next year, were you able to find working TPMS sensors? I do have the 315mhz, and believe the part number is F2GZ-1A189-A.

What was all needed to program the Explorer? You mentioned a youtube video, can you provide the link or name of the video?

thanks

Check out this thread where I posted the sensors that I got. The YouTube video that I was referring to showed how to install the TPMS sensor by taking the tire off of one side of the rim, but I ended up just taking the eBay sensors that I bought to the dealer and having them install them for $100. During the process, they programmed them (ie: the car to recognize them) also. I bought a cheap $25 TPMS programmer from Amazon that I may try to use in the spring when I go back to my summer tires, but from the sounds of it, I may not even need to do that.

EDIT: sorry, forgot the link:

HELP! New TPMS training on 2016 Explorer

Here is the link to the eBay listing (it will likely expire eventually):
FORD OE F2GT-1A180-AB TPMS TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM NEW NEVER USED | eBay

TPMS Tire rotation

I'm sure this has been covered, and I apologize for inquiring again but couldn't find anything on the search. I recently rotated my tires and the tire pressure readings are in the wrong locations. How long does it take for the car to pick up the change of positions. I'm sure it does this in some way. I couldn't find any learn feature so I know that it must do it automatically. TIA.
Hi Ted. I merged your thread with this one that should answer your question. I've never tried the 'self learn' method as my dealer swaps my wheels and programs the system at the same time. BTW, there are several threads on this.

Peter

I rotated my tires in Sept again, the vehicle never re-learned. After a week or more I went out and did the routine of pressing the 4 way flasher button on and off 3 times to get to re-learn mode and then let air out out of each tire as instructed by the system. Worked then , not sure if these tires can re-learn on their own based on this experience. I have a 2016.

I just swapped out my winters (which I had installed new TPMS sensors on) for my summers . After about a 5 minute drive, I could literally see the display update with the new tire pressures for the summer tires one by one. I knew this was the case because my winter tires had higher pressures. Therefore I can confirm that the 2018 Explorer Sport will automatically update its TPMS sensor/locations on its own.

Yup, I use forscan to see all 4 pressures when I am inflating. I just watch it on my phone and inflate till I get to the correct pressure. Pretty stupid Ford doesn't activate this for us in the display but it is there.
I realize this is an old post but wondered if you can point me to how to see ( and where ) to see that on forscan. Thanks.. anything you would be able to point me to would be appreciated.

I realize this is an old post but wondered if you can point me to how to see ( and where ) to see that on forscan. Thanks.. anything you would be able to point me to would be appreciated.

I'll try to do it tonight and post under which module it is. Cant do it off memory.

I wouldn't go by what the tire sensors are telling you is the PSI in the tires but pick up a actual gauge to check the PSI.

I have one sensor that reads 5lbs below what the actual tire pressure is.

Hi Everyone. I am a proud new owner of a 2018 Explorer. I purchased a new set of 20" OEM rims and tires for it. I will use the 18's it came with for winter driving. I put the new set on yesterday, took it for a drive (about 20 km's) and then got the Tire Sensor Fault message. From this I am assuming that it will not automatically learn the new sensors as I was told it would. I went home and did the hazard light thing and got it into retrain mode and tried the drivers front tire. I could not get the horn to honk after almost deflating the whole tire. Was tired so I gave up on it. Drove it to work this morning and did not get any warning however on the way home I got the same Tire Sensor Fault message. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? Thank-you for any replies.

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are you sure the correct sensors were installed? Do you have a part number?

Peter

Hey. I stopped by Kal-Tire on the way home and they relearned my sensors for me free of charge. Everything seems to be working for the moment. Weird that I could not get them to work.

What is the proper pressure for the 20" rims and tires? Do you stick with the factory recommended 35 psi for the 18's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey. I stopped by Kal-Tire on the way home and they relearned my sensors for me free of charge. Everything seems to be working for the moment. Weird that I could not get them to work.

What is the proper pressure for the 20" rims and tires? Do you stick with the factory recommended 35 psi for the 18's?
The recommended pressure is 35 psi. If you really want to get into a discussion on it you can go here; What tire pressure are you running?

Peter

Back