Noisy Tires 26k miles | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noisy Tires 26k miles

I had the Hankook H426 Optimo(not the same as the newer versions) on my 14 Sport and my biggest(and really only) complaint was snow traction. They felt greasy in the snow from the beginning, but I didn’t realize how bad they were until I replaced them with Premier LTX’s. The Michelins are much better in the snow. I went with the Premiers over the Defenders because I was a little worried about the latter feeling more “floaty” due to the deeper tread depth.

As for other aspects, I was satisfied with the Hankooks. I ran them to about 65k miles and could have gotten another summer of them, but I didn’t trust them in the winter and had them replaced in November 2017. Dry traction was good, wet wasn’t great but not terrible. I never had them balanced, I rotated them every 1-2 oil changes(so 8-16k miles) and they were quiet for their full life as well. I actually think the Michelins were louder when new than the Hankooks were @ end of life.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have the names and specific models of all my tires. But, I took delivery of my '16 Ex LTD in Oct 15 and I know I had to replace whatever was on it a lot sooner than I expected. Now, I'm due to replace my Michelin's (second set of tires on this vehicle) with only 67k on the car itself. My local dealership is submitting to Michelin for prorate since they are still pretty far out from the guaranteed mileage rating. I travel 99.999999% on highway and drive this vehicle 90% of the time to work 100 miles round trip daily. Ha- I probably only leave the street to pull into the lawn to wash the car.
I was wondering if there's something going on with the '16 Ex. But, I'm not seeing too much of a trend in this thread of owners not getting life out of anything other than maybe the original set.

^^ I'm quite sure your Limited had the tires identified in the link in post #3.

Peter

I just replaced my Hankooks with Defender LTX @ 76K miles. The Defender LTX are the noisiest tires I have ever had. I had LTX M&S (previous generation) on my 98 Explorer, 2 sets and got 100K out of each, but these are by far noisier. I am going to bring them back (30 day guarantee at Town Fair Tire) and maybe swap them for Premier. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I am driving a Limited and I should'nt have to listen to the noise.

I just replaced my Hankooks with Defender LTX @ 76K miles. The Defender LTX are the noisiest tires I have ever had. I had LTX M&S (previous generation) on my 98 Explorer, 2 sets and got 100K out of each, but these are by far noisier. I am going to bring them back (30 day guarantee at Town Fair Tire) and maybe swap them for Premier. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I am driving a Limited and I should'nt have to listen to the noise.
Look at tread if it’s big chunky it makes a lot of noise
If it looks smooth like a minivan tire quiet
Best is to get a testing agency report for noise tire wear weight traction etc
Not easy getting clarity
Looking at the Michelin defender they must be defective to make any kind of noise, they are plain Jane ugly boring minivan tires
Reality is BFG did a great job with the OEM tire that is no longer available and the replacement is noisier and a whole lot more money

Well to my surprise the local Ford dealer says it is a rear wheel bearing making the noise. Sure sounded like a tire to me. Just got a call from the dealer here in Florida (we are down for the winter) and he claimed they used a stethoscope to be sure and it is the left side rear. I had isolated the noise to the left side rear given but it didn't sound harsh enough, grindy enough to be a bearing, just figured better safe than sorry and ask them to look at. So they will replace it under the power train warranty. Really surprises me to have a vehicle with 27k miles have a wheel bearing go. The left rear tire on the back has a very visible 3-4" wide mark on it on the inside, almost like a big scar on a human, I thought it might be related to the noise given the reports on the Hankooks falling apart around this mileage.

Will still be looking for new tires , don't think the Hankooks have more than 5k miles treadware left on them. Appreciate all the input here , gives me some info to work from looking for those new tires.

Back