• Register Today It's free!

Nasty Oil Fill Cap

leadfootdriver

Reaction score
City, State
Westland, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.0
I changed the oil with Pennzoil Platinum in march 16'. I put about 5K on it so far. I haven't touched it other than checking the oil. Finally today I went to add a little, and the Cap was really hard to remove. When I got it off, it looked like this..

I assume that it's condensation from constant short trips as everything I need is close by. I have a company vehicle, so I only use my own for errands.. It doesn't look like the mess is any further than the Filler Neck, and there was never any hint of water in the Oil when I check the Dipstick.

What do you think?
45991185194_5660f74fd1_b.jpg

46663303102_9ffdedae6d_b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. I guess I shouldn't wait a year and 8 months to crack my Fill Cap when my trips are so short!

moisture from temp changes,, no biggie , clean it up, go on with life,, :)

Even Fordtechmakuloco has a you tube video on this topic to tell people it’s typical if you do short trips more than drive at highway speeds for distance. Some people will try to scare you and say this a sign of bad engine problems but not so.

Thanks for that video. I think I'll go for a drive on the highway to get things warmed up a bit. I'll probably change this oil by March for sure.

Back