1997 Rear Bumper Removal at Junkyard - advice needed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Rear Bumper Removal at Junkyard - advice needed

Did you try craigslist or ebay? May find something someone has locally already off, or junkers for parts.
When I lived in NYC I know there were several junk yards in the Perth Amboy NJ area. I got many Bronco2 front spindle nuts & a bumper way back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It looks like your in Brooklyn. There's a guy in greenwood lake, NY parting out a '96 on Craigslist. That should be just over an hour away from you.

snoranger - emailed 3 different people on craigslist.. thanks

IMG_20190113_192337.jpg
Sucks your not near Oklahoma. I found 3 pristine ones in the yard and got it off fairly easy.

Maybe call the junkyard and ask them if they will soak that bolt down with PB blaster for ya and offer to throw them a $20 bill?

Maybe call the junkyard and ask them if they will soak that bolt down with PB blaster for ya and offer to throw them a $20 bill?
It never hurts to throw money at the guy working in a junkyard... It only cost me $10 for the loader operator to flip a Ranger on its roof, so I didn't have to crawl under it to pull the trans. Bring them a cold drink on a hot day, they'll pull any part you want and carry it to your truck for you.

96eb96 - my brother suggested an angle grinder. has to be a battery operated in this junkyard. also bolt is 7/8 so lots of metal to cut through. others supporting angle grinder idea?

Yeah I use an angle grinder all the time to destroy fasteners that don't shear off, but first I try a 1/2" breaker bar, with a beefy 6 point impact socket on it, and a cheater bar [piece of (1-5/8"?) metal pipe fence post on it] for more leverage.

"Usually" the breaker bar and fence post combo will either shear the bolt or strip the head, unless there's no clearance for them, then either way it's time to get out the angle grinder.

Back