• Register Today It's free!

trouble code 214

stephen93Eddie

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford explorer sport
After getting my sport the check engine came on the other day, and it seems I have the memory code 214, Is it just a good idea to replace the camshaft position sensor? It seems that is the fix for most, any other possible ideas? also what are the consequences of driving it with this code?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Code 214 is cylinder ID out of range. I think if it were me I would clear the codes (disconnect battery overnight) and see if it returns.

Is the truck running poorly? If it is missing, or out of time, you should be able to tell. Are the plugs and wires ok? Firing order ok at the coil?

Code 214 is cylinder ID out of range. I think if it were me I would clear the codes (disconnect battery overnight) and see if it returns.

Is the truck running poorly? If it is missing, or out of time, you should be able to tell. Are the plugs and wires ok? Firing order ok at the coil?
I disconnected the battery for like 20 mins and the light came right back on. The truck isn't running poorly it drives and runs great, starts perfect. That's why I am so confused.

I thought that the Camshaft Position Sensor was a 1994 only item when they introduced sequential fire injectors? Before that was batch fire and just an oil pump drive assy.

Maybe stephen93Eddie can stick a cell phone down the back of the engine on the left of centerline and see if any pics show the sensor.

I thought that the Camshaft Position Sensor was a 1994 only item when they introduced sequential fire injectors? Before that was batch fire and just an oil pump drive assy.

Maybe stephen93Eddie can stick a cell phone down the back of the engine on the left of centerline and see if any pics show the sensor.
There is a sensor I have already looked. And the car in question is the 94 sport I picked up this month so yes it is a 94.

Yeah, that's a camshaft synchronizer on your 94 then. You are not getting any noise from it? When mine started wearing out, it chirped like a bird only in cold weather. During warm weather, it was perfectly quiet, and the truck always ran great. I ran it like that for several years.

But I never got a 214 code from that. Are you sure your plugs and wires and coil are doing their job? Are there any exposed wires leading out of the cam synchronizer? Any chafing on any spark plug wire?

Yeah, that's a camshaft synchronizer on your 94 then. You are not getting any noise from it? When mine started wearing out, it chirped like a bird only in cold weather. During warm weather, it was perfectly quiet, and the truck always ran great. I ran it like that for several years.

But I never got a 214 code from that. Are you sure your plugs and wires and coil are doing their job? Are there any exposed wires leading out of the cam synchronizer? Any chafing on any spark plug wire?
I couldnt't find anything wrong with the plugs and wires, no burn marks or exposed wire, all the harnesses look good. but when I checked my codes my OBD1 scanner only picked up 4 cylinders. so im not sure what that means. but here are some pictures of my coil pack and the cam sensor also unplugged the cam sensor and the truck ran perfect as usual. So im not sure whats going on, but It probably needs the plugs and wires and the coil done, so ill change those, and the IAC is supper gritty, tried to clean it but its still gritty. Oh and also cleaned the MAF.

fWVFMCU.jpg

q8NKiDk.jpg
0vJcIrx.jpg
hg6quF4.jpg

I am pretty sure ( 98% sure) the cam sensor and crank sensor signals get "converged" . Intermittent faults in either could trigger this code.
I would replace the crank sensor for the cylinder ID fault. The problem could very well be in the camshaft position sensor however the crankshaft sensor has more reported issues associated with it, is less $ and easier to replace. It provides the cylinder ID for ignition.

I am pretty sure ( 98% sure) the cam sensor and crank sensor signals get "converged" . Intermittent faults in either could trigger this code.
I would replace the crank sensor for the cylinder ID fault. The problem could very well be in the camshaft position sensor however the crankshaft sensor has more reported issues associated with it, is less $ and easier to replace. It provides the cylinder ID for ignition.[/QU

Okay, ill look into it. I'm not sure if this helps but the light comes on after idle drops when i start it. then stays on until its turned off. but for that first little bit the light is off.

I would replace the crank sensor for the cylinder ID fault. The problem could very well be in the camshaft position sensor however the crankshaft sensor has more reported issues associated with it, is less $ and easier to replace. It provides the cylinder ID for ignition.
Crankshaft sensor will be here tomorrow. I'll install it and relay the results tomorrow

Sorry, I looked at your name box and at the bottom saw your 1993 Ford explorer Eddie and thought it was the vehicle being discussed.

When I was having a 214 code it resulted in an intermittent slight rough running and an intermittent check engine light. Replacing the sensor with a later model one cured the problem.

Replaced crank sensor today still showing code, any other options? Or should I order the cam sensor and upper intake gasket

Did you reset the computer (leave neg cable on the batt unhooked for a couple of hours)? Then see if the code re-appears.

Did you change the plugs and wires. That's pretty easy to do. Cam synchronizer should be a last resort, because it's difficult to change.

Did you reset the computer (leave neg cable on the batt unhooked for a couple of hours)? Then see if the code re-appears.

Did you change the plugs and wires. That's pretty easy to do. Cam synchronizer should be a last resort, because it's difficult to change.
Had the battery disconnected for like the 15mins it took to change the sensor, wouldn’t I be feeling some misfiring if the plugs or wires were the problem

Changing plugs and wires is easy. Changing the camshaft synchronizer is a lot of work.
i'd even be inclined to change the coil before messing with the cam synch.

Changing plugs and wires is easy. Changing the camshaft synchronizer is a lot of work.
i'd even be inclined to change the coil before messing with the cam synch.
I'm almost positive its the sensor now that i have gotten the bird like squeak, haven't changed the sensor yet been busy but ill update this once its installed.

funny to think i still have the code and still haven't changed the sensor, should've done it when I had the tranny out but was unsure of the installation.

Back