• Register Today It's free!

Fair price for 2008 V8 Limited

naiku

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
What are you guys seeing as pricing for a 2008 Limited in your areas? The time has come to sell ours, would like to keep it, but financially it doesn't make sense right now.

I have had it listed on Craigslist, Cars.com for a couple weeks at what I believe is a fair price but have gotten literally zero interest. Not even scammers. While I realize in some ways 2 weeks before Christmas is not a great time to sell, it being winter is a good time to sell. Curious what sort of pricing is out there, wondering if I am wide of the mark or if it really is a tough time to sell.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you have it priced at? What mileage are we talking about? I see it has a V8 so that's a plus. Understand that the next gens have been out since 2011 so there are plenty of used ones out there that are newer than yours. Outside of this forum, most people just see it as a 2008 and an old body style to boot. If they are looking for something that old, they are looking for cheap.

I have it listed at $8,000 OBO with 138k miles on it, in this area there are some cheaper and some more expensive, just not sure how things are nationally. There are so many newer generation Explorers here you'd think Ford are giving them away, funny really since if I remember correctly, this generation is far more capable.

I have it listed at $8,000 OBO with 138k miles on it, in this area there are some cheaper and some more expensive, just not sure how things are nationally. There are so many newer generation Explorers here you'd think Ford are giving them away, funny really since if I remember correctly, this generation is far more capable.

I had been searching US wide for a V8 4WD Limited for the past few months and $6K-$8K I would say is right in line with what I was seeing depending on options and condition of car.

Cool, so it sounds like while I'm closer to the top of the range, I'm not way outside. Mine is pretty much fully loaded and on great shape so will leave price where it is which had my built in negotiation room.

Did you find one GodStang or still looking?

Cool, so it sounds like while I'm closer to the top of the range, I'm not way outside. Mine is pretty much fully loaded and on great shape so will leave price where it is which had my built in negotiation room.

Did you find one GodStang or still looking?

Found a 2010 Limited V8 4x4. Just got it last week.

Nice, congratulations!

I dunno. I had my 2010 V6 4x4 XLT listed at $7500 and got zero interest. Lowerd to $7K, still nothing.

I think one issue is that you are going to have a hard time getting a bank to loan on a 10 year old car with over 100k miles on it, and thats higher than most people would be able to get a personal (no collateral) loan for, so that leave cash buyers, which are probably not looking for a 10 year old car with 130K+ miles on it, especially with the bad reputation explorers have.
Literally every person I told that I bought an explorer back when I got mine was like "are you crazy? why would you buy one of those?" Not that they were wrong.... We ended up keeping it and putting our 2003 jeep up for sale instead, there was no way I was going lower on the price seeing as how in the two years I have owned the explorer I have had the tranny rebuilt, replaced all the brakes and rotors, replaced the A/C system, replaced both front hubs (worst.job.ever.) my front driver side wont blow cold air unless the rear air is on, and now my gas gauge is acting up....

Buy hey, I'm not bitter, good luck selling yours. I'm guessing at 5-6K you will start to get some people interested....

While you make some good points, I don't know that a V6 XLT compares to a V8 Limited as they are complete opposite ends of the trim levels available for the 4th gen. No offense meant by that, just I don't think they really compare. I do realize a 2010 is 2 years newer than mine though.

Interestingly, if you take cars.com deal indicator as any value at all, mine would be considered a "Great Deal" at $8,000. For example, there is another listed, exact same color but with almost 11,000 more miles and it showing "Great Deal" listed at $8,500. Another 2008 with 132k miles, still shows "Good Deal" with a price of $10,875. There are a couple in the $7,600 - $8,000 range with between 120k-132k that are all listed as "Great Deal" as well. So, it does not look like my pricing is out of line with similar vehicles, although I do agree with you on cash buyers being the main market with a vehicle of this age.

Additionally, I am fully aware that a listed price does not equal a sold price. Still, I may come down a little to get it moved but at $5-6K it starts to get a little ridiculous for the amount of vehicle it is. The only V8 Limited currently at $5,495 does not have navigation, electric 3rd row seating, looks like no rear DVD either, looks the same with one listed at $6,485 with virtually identical mileage to mine. Cheapest comparable with similar options appears to be one for $7,500 which realistically is where I would happily sell mine.

Oh well, really it's just a case of wait and hope someone picks it up!!

While you make some good points, I don't know that a V6 XLT compares to a V8 Limited as they are complete opposite ends of the trim levels available for the 4th gen. No offense meant by that, just I don't think they really compare. I do realize a 2010 is 2 years newer than mine though.

Interestingly, if you take cars.com deal indicator as any value at all, mine would be considered a "Great Deal" at $8,000. For example, there is another listed, exact same color but with almost 11,000 more miles and it showing "Great Deal" listed at $8,500. Another 2008 with 132k miles, still shows "Good Deal" with a price of $10,875. There are a couple in the $7,600 - $8,000 range with between 120k-132k that are all listed as "Great Deal" as well. So, it does not look like my pricing is out of line with similar vehicles, although I do agree with you on cash buyers being the main market with a vehicle of this age.

Additionally, I am fully aware that a listed price does not equal a sold price. Still, I may come down a little to get it moved but at $5-6K it starts to get a little ridiculous for the amount of vehicle it is. The only V8 Limited currently at $5,495 does not have navigation, electric 3rd row seating, looks like no rear DVD either, looks the same with one listed at $6,485 with virtually identical mileage to mine. Cheapest comparable with similar options appears to be one for $7,500 which realistically is where I would happily sell mine.

Oh well, really it's just a case of wait and hope someone picks it up!!

Remember this is one of the hardest times to sell. Most people are using any money they have for Christmas gift. If you are able to wait till spring and ride the tax returns you should be able to get hits for $8K-$10K on the Explorer you have listed.

If you are able to wait till spring and ride the tax returns you should be able to get hits for $8K-$10K on the Explorer you have listed.

Well, here's to hoping you are right with tax return season on the horizon!! I have dropped the price to $7,300 and have had zero actual responses other than scammers..... decided to mess with one who sent me a copy of his driving license, then told me my price was reasonable when I said I would take $15,000 and no less. Now if only he would have offered to pay me in cash instead of a cashiers check!! haha

We bought our 07 XLT with 90k miles for $7000 last month right before Christmas and I am real happy with the price I paid, and also happy with the Explorer too of-course. Don't lower your price any more, you just need to wait till the right person comes along. Did the scammer also want you to ship it to Indonesia for him as well ? I hate scammers.

I still have my 2002 Mountaineer v8 with 275000 on it now. plus my mustang,
But last week just purchased after looking at tons of them I wanted to spend no more than $5000.00
So I found a 2010 Explorer XLT with high miles but high miles have never discouraged me because it depends on how it was taken care of. And so we settled on a price of $4700.00 and it has enough options for me to be satisfied since the mountaineer has everything... I looked at a 2010 Explorer for $4100 but that one didn't even have heated seats, which is a requirement here in New England. Of course I've only driven it a couple of times since I have the remote start being installed Wednesday and now I am spoiled with it.
I looked at a few limited but i cant justify another thousand for a few options I would never use.
So now I need to draw straws to which one i drive...

Based on local pricing here, and a private party sale, you are at least a grand too high, if not more.

If you are comparing to pricing on dealer lots, and expecting to get that on a private sale, that is also likely expecting too much.

My experience with selling cars on craigslist has been if I get no inquiries (serious ones anyways) within a day or two of posting the ad, I'm priced too high for the market. It is often a very fine line - only a couple of hundred bucks sometimes.

Hate to say it, but this generation of Explorer is not in demand except for those who still specifically looking for a body on frame SUV.

I bought my 07 xlt back in November 2014 with 109k for 9,500 from a used car dealer as options go its pretty low on the list 4wd v6 cloth manual 3rd row basic radio no power pedals or heated seats .... blue book claims 6,600 for private sale

and yeah! banks are picky when it comes to financing a used automobile and they told me use 7 years as a rule of thumb for a cutoff if you need a 60 month loan

You might get 5k if you have all the required inspections already done and it could be put on the road by the buyer on the same day. Maybe 2500 to 3k for an as is sale.

Did the scammer also want you to ship it to Indonesia for him as well ? I hate scammers.

Who knows, at this point I have had all manner of scams. So annoying and such a waste of time dealing with them.

My experience with selling cars on craigslist has been if I get no inquiries (serious ones anyways) within a day or two of posting the ad, I'm priced too high for the market. It is often a very fine line - only a couple of hundred bucks sometimes.

Hate to say it, but this generation of Explorer is not in demand except for those who still specifically looking for a body on frame SUV.

Agreed here, funnily enough the last vehicle I sold on CL I had zero scammers and it sold within days. Base spec Nissan Murano, was surprised how fast it sold.

I bought my 07 xlt back in November 2014 with 109k for 9,500 from a used car dealer as options go its pretty low on the list 4wd v6 cloth manual 3rd row basic radio no power pedals or heated seats .... blue book claims 6,600 for private sale

I forget what blue book is for mine, might have to look again. But, see $6,600 private sale on your 07 XLT makes me think that an 08 Limited with pretty much all the options, that my price is good. Funnily enough I have seen 2 same generation Explorers locally with temporary tags on them, so people in this area are looking at least.

You might get 5k if you have all the required inspections already done and it could be put on the road by the buyer on the same day. Maybe 2500 to 3k for an as is sale.

$2,500 - $3,000 for an as is sale, sorry, but that's ridiculous. Look at the earlier replies as well, for the most part my pricing is right in line with what it should be. I suspect it is just a crappy time of year to be trying to sell. $3k I will run the thing into the ground and never sell it.

There are now newer ones available for less money. When I just bought my 2010 Ford explorer I thought about an Eddie bBaue but I'm the only person ever in my car so why would I need rest entertainment center. Plus not wanting the touch screen with out of date navigation maps when everyone now uses Waze.

Now, you know, regional differences play a big factor in pricing.

I bought my 2006 Eddie Bauer V8 last October for $4500, with 112,000 miles on it. However, I did buy it knowing that it needed a fair bit of service. I had to do a rear wheel bearing, both rear struts and springs, a passenger side mirror, a driver's side outer tie rod end, and a set of tires.

I have watched for another car, similarly optioned, similarly clean body and interior wise, with similar miles, and it seems all of the V8 4wd Eddie Bauers are hovering around 7-9K for a 2006-2007 model, a bit higher for newer. Here in the Southern Plains, these tend to fetch a bit more money, people out here like having a real 4wd vehicle, and will pay for nicer older cars.

Ask most of the folks out here, and they regard the newer Explorer as a jacked up Taurus wagon, hahaha.

Of course, also here in the Southern Plains, cars don't rust out quite as quickly here, and if you go to Oklahoma for one, you can usually score a pretty good deal on a pretty clean ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back