• Register Today It's free!

Engine has miss

Fulwal

Reaction score
City, State
Atmore
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer limited
I have a 2014 explorer with 74k miles. When I get it up to 20 mph it has a miss and it continues until 40 mph. Then it stops and runs fine after that. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the limited information my first guess would be weak spark.

I have a 2014 explorer with 74k miles. When I get it up to 20 mph it has a miss and it continues until 40 mph. Then it stops and runs fine after that. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I had a 14 ex that did the same thing at about 55 and 60 only in 6th. Ran great below 55 and over 60. at 80 k, Replaced the plugs and coil packs and then flushed the tranny. Nothing fixed it. Last week I replaced the ex. Problem solved!

If it is a miss there likely will be a code even if it does not result in a check engine light. If you don't have a code reader take it to an auto parts store to have them scan it.

If it is a miss there likely will be a code even if it does not result in a check engine light. If you don't have a code reader take it to an auto parts store to have them scan it.
I had it checked several times and there was never a code set. I took the technician and the reader for a ride and they could feel it but no codes. I first noticed it a few months after the PTU was replaced. I had got stuck in wet grass and discovered that the rear wheels were not helping. I took it to a local garage that does the service on the county interceptors, and they told me the PTU was a common problem and had several replaced. It was replaced under warranty with under 1 K miles left on warranty.
Sooo, I got the 100K extended warranty on the 18.

Welcome to the Forum Fulwal and Don.:wave:
Long time to your first post Don.;)

Throttle body?

Doesn't always set a code, but you should be able to read the number of misfires in aggregate or per cylinder. If there aren't any, then it may not actually be a miss.

Doesn't always set a code, but you should be able to read the number of misfires in aggregate or per cylinder. If there aren't any, then it may not actually be a miss.

I ran into this with my wife's CX9. It would buck under lower rpm and heavier load (like going up a hill on a freeway).
No codes(active or pending) ever set even after multiple occurrences in a short length of time.

I got an OBD2 reader and Torque app. I let the code scan continue to run over and over as I drove around.
I saw the misfire count increase for 1 or 2 of the cylinders every time that bucking happened. I don't know what the threshold is to set a code, but it wasn't reaching it.
I replaced plugs and bucking went away.

Back