Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only) | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

I am looking to buy a key and the place I found sells the 5 button key for the explorer and not the 4 button (they sell that for the F-150). My question is will the 5 button one work for the remote start if I don't have a remote tailgate lift and the remote has it or should it get the F-150 key? Or will either work?
Also, if I already have 4 keys programmed in the car, can I add a new one and it will delete one of the old.ones using the owners manual instructions? Or do I need to get all codes erased and then the dealer program 2 keys first? My wife has lost a couple keys and luckily I always had 3 so I still had 2 keys.

If you've got at least 2 keys, the 2 you actually use in the programming sequence will be the ones enabled with the new remote start one or two keys you also program. I'm pretty sure it dumps any keys that were previously programmed, but were not part of the most recent key programming sequence (i might be wrong here). There are plenty of US locksmiths selling blank used or new 4 and 5 button IKT and IAK keys on Ebay, ready to be cut. Search these terms filled-in as they apply to you: (OEM) (Ford) (# of buttons) (IKT, or IAK) (Used or New). If you're unsure about an Ebay purchase, just use Paypal to pay as extra insurance and return it promptly if there's a problem, and check the descriptions twice. I got 2 used (can't tell at all, looks brand new) 5-button IKTs for less than $50 each. These keys were compatible with 189 different vehicles according to the Ebay listing and OEM Ford with new blades. The local independent locksmith down the street cut both for $3.00 total in about a minute. I programmed these 2 with the manual instructions and the 2 master keys I had in about a minute and enabled remote start with forscan and bluetooth obd link mx ($55.00) in another minute. Bing bang boom.

Well I had the "dealer" enable the remote start today & cut the keys, overall it was a pretty smooth operation, money wise this has cost a fair bit of coin. I guess over the next few weeks, I will see if going with the "factory" option was the best? & most cost effective? A quick observation is that the range (300ft) is quite poor, it's about a 1/4 of that, or less. The actual activation seems clumsy and slow, meaning you have to activate the FOB buttons several times to get the vehicle to start. I also lost the activation of the lights flashing to let me know the vehicle is locked? kinda of a PIA , since you have to lock the vehicle before you attempt to start it?

All said, about $150, can easily start the car from inside a restaurant with line of sight, even across a 5 lane street. If you're having distance or clumsy slowness issues, replace the round battery inside with a new one and check your car battery is fine and charged as voltage drops can prevent the RS from working I believe I've read here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All said, about $150, can easily start the car from inside a restaurant with line of sight, even across a 5 lane street. If you're having distance or clumsy slowness issues, replace the round battery inside with a new one and check your car battery is fine and charged as voltage drops can prevent the RS from working I believe I've read here

Thanks all good points, would/could the battery be an issue? even if the FOB's are new? I also just replaced my car battery, so I think I'm OK there.

If you have things plugged into the USB ports remove them. They are known to cause interference even with the vehicle off.

Hey troops, I'm trying to "troubleshoot" the poor range of my remote starter, I have the Ford factory FOB(s)
I don't have anything plugged in as suggested, and the FOB's are new so I'm not going to change the battery right away. Let me know what you think?
Cheers

Hey troops, I'm trying to "troubleshoot" the poor range of my remote starter, I have the Ford factory FOB(s)
I don't have anything plugged in as suggested, and the FOB's are new so I'm not going to change the battery right away. Let me know what you think?
Cheers
The standard range for the OEM fobs for the retail Explorer is around 300'. Not sure about the PIU.

Peter

I'm not even getting a 1/4 of the 300" .

Change Your Remote Batteries!!! It's pennies on the dollar and five seconds of your time to do this battery swap. No one here knows the current status of your remote battery, so whether its new or not, there's no point in reporting again that your remote distance is low without swapping a new battery in.

If you lost the flashing lights on locking remotely, that sounds like the dealer changed some settings somehow while programming the vehicle. If you paid for the keys and RS activation, I would take the receipt and complain that they changed the locking lights behavior and get it fixed or get your money back for altering the vehicle's settings without informing you.

Well I had the "dealer" enable the remote start today & cut the keys, overall it was a pretty smooth operation, money wise this has cost a fair bit of coin. I guess over the next few weeks, I will see if going with the "factory" option was the best? & most cost effective? A quick observation is that the range (300ft) is quite poor, it's about a 1/4 of that, or less. The actual activation seems clumsy and slow, meaning you have to activate the FOB buttons several times to get the vehicle to start. I also lost the activation of the lights flashing to let me know the vehicle is locked? kinda of a PIA , since you have to lock the vehicle before you attempt to start it?

Thanks all good points, would/could the battery be an issue? even if the FOB's are new? I also just replaced my car battery, so I think I'm OK there.

Cheers

I'm not even getting a 1/4 of the 300" .

Well I changed the battery, range is still only maybe 20ft? I'm wondering if Ford installed EMP protection or a "Faraday" cage, LOL
Back to the drawing board. Cheers

I believe the antenna is under the front of the console. Would you have anything in that area that might be affecting the receiving signal? I know that you indicated that you didn't have anything plugged in.

Peter.

Nothing in the area, there is a steel "base" for the console to be installed on? , the distance seems to be "hit & miss" I tried it several car lengths away, in my parking lot, and this morning there we no cars parked beside me, and it started?, however from work, I parked across from my exit and in plain sight from the lunch room and nothing, in this case the distances was maybe 30ft.

Does Ford make a RF antenna? that's modestly priced? this may be the answer I'm looking for?
Thanks, Cheers

I had the same issue with really poor range - no electronics or anything in the console that would interfere, new batteries, etc. I tried the antenna add on that didn't seem to help much. I ended up installing an Avital aftermaket, which was easy as there is no transponder bypass needed for the Police Utility that I have. Otherwise you would need to upgrade to the better ford remote start package.

I had the same issue with really poor range - no electronics or anything in the console that would interfere, new batteries, etc. I tried the antenna add on that didn't seem to help much. I ended up installing an Avital aftermaket, which was easy as there is no transponder bypass needed for the Police Utility that I have. Otherwise you would need to upgrade to the better ford remote start package.

Thanks, at least I'm not the only one, LOL, I don't know if I'm ready to invest more money? however if you have a link to your unit, I certainly would like to read up on it? Cheers

BTW did the "add on" antenna add any significant range at all? I'm just looking for about 100ft.

I don't think we noticed any substantial difference with the antenna, but didn't do a before/after test. I installed the Avital 4115L from Amazon (~$50 ), and followed the guide for which wires to use from "the12volt" (https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=136978 ), although since I have the Police Utility there was no need for a transponder bypass, and the wiring was a little different as there was no trailer harness. Also had to run a new wire for a new hood switch (couldn't use the Ford hood switch as it is opposite signal as the Avital.). Really if you have a soldering iron, utility knife, and can checks some wires it wasn't difficult, but I have installed a remote start before.

my Explorer from 2014 has no RFA. But i activate the remote start with UCDS and puchased a new key. If i try to start the Explorer, the cabin light and the parking light goes on, but the engine will not start. Batterie is full, fuel also. What can be the reason? Maybe the missing RFA?

my Explorer from 2014 has no RFA. But i activate the remote start with UCDS and puchased a new key. If i try to start the Explorer, the cabin light and the parking light goes on, but the engine will not start. Batterie is full, fuel also. What can be the reason? Maybe the missing RFA?

Did you install the hood switch? Remote start requires the hood switch.

I don't know what is the issue, sorry not being able to help.

Rereading your post, you state the interior lights also come on? I don't believe that is supposed to happen with remote start. Make sure you start it by pressing the "Lock button" once then the "Start button (2X)" twice.

yes, checked extra a second time. Parking lights and interior light are one after press 1x lock and 2x run. Furthermore i can hear a click of a relais in engine compartment

I tried mine with the hood open - it gives out a short honk, so not what you are experiencing. Perhaps you have some codes or check engine light that would prevent a start? or parking brake on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Range Test Completed on the basic remote start: On a 2013 Police Utility with 4 button key fob/key, parked on the street, no obstacles in the way, vehicle facing away from me. Extra antenna would be the antenna from I think an Edge that plugs into the TPMS in the center console.
With Extra Antenna installed: 50'
Without Extra Antenna: 55' (seemed to reach just a little further steps than the extra antenna)
With Avital aftermarket remote start: 350'

Back