2020 Explorer | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hope the new 2020 does not come out with those ugly chrome handles. I will be getting the ST so I shouldn't worry.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! ;)

Peter

Ok lets talk about this panoramic roof trend. I haul canoes, kayaks, a sail boat and often mountain bikes on the roof especially when towing our small camp trailer. Pedals, strap clips and other stuff often makes contact with the roof. The panoramic roof on my SUV would be destroyed within 4 weeks of buying it...........
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Unless the weight restrictions have changed on the 2020, the maximum weight on the Explorer with a moonroof is 45 lbs and 100 lbs without one.

Peter

Does anyone know the GVWR of the 2020 Explorer?

Does anyone know the GVWR of the 2020 Explorer?
For some reason, the 'Specs' sheet only shows Base Curb Weight. 4345 lbs. for Base, XLT and Limited and 4727 lbs. for the Platinum.

Peter

Unless the weight restrictions have changed on the 2020, the maximum weight on the Explorer with a moonroof is 45 lbs and 100 lbs without one.

Peter
So the roof rack on the current models is only 100lb limit? Or is this actual weight on the roof panel its self? That seems really low given most Thule and Yakima racks are rated for 150lbs. My only ford right now is a Fusion Energi. My SUVs for the past 20 yrs have been Toyotas and Subarus. I’m not impressed with our current Subaru with cvt and this new Explorer appears to fix all the things I didn’t like about the prior generation. Plus it has a real transmission:thumbsup:

For some reason, the 'Specs' sheet only shows Base Curb Weight. 4345 lbs. for Base, XLT and Limited and 4727 lbs. for the Platinum.

Peter

Thanks. Sounds like it will still be above 6,000 lbs GVWR then. Important for those business owners looking to use Section 179 to purchase.

So the roof rack on the current models is only 100lb limit? Or is this actual weight on the roof panel its self? That seems really low given most Thule and Yakima racks are rated for 150lbs. My only ford right now is a Fusion Energi. My SUVs for the past 20 yrs have been Toyotas and Subarus. I’m not impressed with our current Subaru with cvt and this new Explorer appears to fix all the things I didn’t like about the prior generation. Plus it has a real transmission:thumbsup:
Those weight figures are for carrying weight on the racks. The Manual says not to carry anything directly on the roof itself. I believe the restrictions have to do with vehicle stability rather than the actual supportability of the roof itself. Again this was for the pre 2020 Explorers. The 2020 has a 6" longer wheel base so that may change the restrictions.:dunno:

Peter

Those weight figures are for carrying weight on the racks. The Manual says not to carry anything directly on the roof itself. I believe the restrictions have to do with vehicle stability rather than the actual supportability of the roof itself. Again this was for the pre 2020 Explorers. The 2020 has a 6" longer wheel base so that may change the restrictions.:dunno:

Peter
Interesting. My Subaru is 200lbs max when moving and 700lbs static ie like a roof top tent etc. My largest sailboat that gets car topped is 135lbs.

45lbs for the panoramic is terrible. Thats hardly two carbon fiber road bikes with the rack trays. Lol

Looks like the Flex was also listed with the same load numbers. Which case I doubt the new Explorer will be any different. That makes me think its a conservative liability rating vs physical structure limitation.

No doubt stability in extreme situations is heavily impacted by the CG being higher.

The Edge has the same 100lb rating. This pretty much has Ford liability Written all over it when all their Wagon style vehicles get the same load ratings. The Transit Connect likely due to being sold as a commercial van gets a 132lb limit with panoramic roof and 165lb with standard tin roof. With a multi bracket rack system there are limits in the 220lb range.

So I think its a very fair bet the generic 100lb limit on all their “passenger” vehicles is more of a Liability thing than a actual physical structure limitation.

Peter
My 2012 owners manual just says "The maximum recommended load is 100 lb (45 kg), evenly distributed on the crossbars." It makes no distinction if you have the dual panel moon roof or not.

My 2012 owners manual just says "The maximum recommended load is 100 lb (45 kg), evenly distributed on the crossbars." It makes no distinction if you have the dual panel moon roof or not.
You are correct. It changed with the 2016+ Explorer. I'll have to try and remember that going forward. Thanks.

Peter

Here's a "first impressions" video of the 2020 ST:

One thing I'm not sure about in the looks department is the front view, particularly the sides where the headlights are.
The hood seems narrow and the headlights and fenders keep going wider.
I'm also not sure about going back to the "standard" hood. The wrap around hood had a clean look to it from the front(profile view wasn't great though).
Guess I'll have to see one in person.

Here's a "first impressions" video of the 2020 ST:

Good review! It does further convince me though that I need a 2nd row bench. He indicates the 3rd row is less usable than the current generation because of the change to RWD. We often travel with three on the bench - that would mean one adult/teen would need to use a 3rd row seat. Hoping Ford sees the light and allows the 2nd row bench on the ST and Limited!

Good review! It does further convince me though that I need a 2nd row bench. He indicates the 3rd row is less usable than the current generation because of the change to RWD. We often travel with three on the bench - that would mean one adult/teen would need to use a 3rd row seat. Hoping Ford sees the light and allows the 2nd row bench on the ST and Limited!
Same here. The seating configuration limitations with Captains Chairs is simply a no go for me. My Subaru Outback offers more cargo vs seating configuration than this CC trend in the Mid sized SUV/wagons hitting the market today

Although I can somewhat understand the no bench seat on the ST, I don't see why the bench isn't an option on the Limited.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone know if the bench seat will be an option on the Platinum?

TB

Back