Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3 | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3

None, I'm afraid. I'm not a Forscan person.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first recommendation would be to pay someone to do your APIM programming. Its only $75 and everything will work. Otherwise you can send me your current programming and I can see if I can find problems with it.

I just hope his product is better than his spelling.;)

Peter

LOL!

This is probably the source (or similar) from where all these sites are selling their retrofits. So we'll see!

I just hope his product is better than his spelling.;)

Peter

So I've installed the radio and...SUCCESS!!! Partially, but still success

Here's some pictures
IMG-3881_zps8glanf8c.jpg

IMG-3884_zpspfvvkftl.jpg

IMG-3883_zpsne64x6f2.jpg

IMG-3892_zpsogjuqvrb.jpg

The install was very easy, and since the unit came pre-programmed with my VIN, I didn't have to worry about it.

Now, one question I do have. To be able to use the Apple CarPlay, I upgraded the USB plug, which eliminated my SD Card reader for the NAV, giving me a NAV fault error. How do I give the Sync 3 maps if there is no SD reader?

The install was very easy, and since the unit came pre-programmed with my VIN, I didn't have to worry about it.

Now, one question I do have. To be able to use the Apple CarPlay, I upgraded the USB plug, which eliminated my SD Card reader for the NAV, giving me a NAV fault error. How do I give the Sync 3 maps if there is no SD reader?

Congratulations!! Sync 3 maps are loaded in the unit's internal hard drive, SD card is not required for Sync 3 maps. What is the error you are getting? probably it is not related to SD card

............. I upgraded the USB plug, which eliminated my SD Card reader for the NAV, giving me a NAV fault error. How do I give the Sync 3 maps if there is no SD reader?
As mentioned Sync 3 does not use the S/D card for updates. I believe the only way to update the navigation currently is with a USB drive that is linked to your VIN and is dealer installed at a price. I'm not sure if it will eventually be available using WiFi and again I'd think that it would be VIN specific with a fee.

Peter

Congratulations!! Sync 3 maps are loaded in the unit's internal hard drive, SD card is not required for Sync 3 maps. What is the error you are getting? probably it is not related to SD card

It only says:

“Navigation Fault
Navigation is not functioning properly”
I’ve contacted the seller and he’ll be sending some “tools” my way. Whatever that means. Lol

Gps antenna works fine as compass was wacky at first and now its working normal.

Honestly I use the Apple CarPlay and google maps much more than what I use the OEM navi, but having that little exclamation mark pisses off my ADD lol

As mentioned Sync 3 does not use the S/D card for updates. I believe the only way to update the navigation currently is with a USB drive that is linked to your VIN and is dealer installed at a price. I'm not sure if it will eventually be available using WiFi and again I'd think that it would be VIN specific with a fee.

Peter

Gotcha, unit came with 3.2 software so I know it’s got one of the latest, i think.

NAV FAULT. I just got that message today. I know it is not aftermarket related, but weird. I could not reset until I stopped the engine. When I got to my next stopping point and re started engine message went away.

Hello .I need an upgrade to my ford explorer 2014 xlt without Navigaon to sync 2 or 3 with navigation but I need a technician who do fix this for me in Dallas, Tx. I read about it using APIM Modell and OBS to fix the navigation.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Peter

the seller sent me an apim tool, which once connected by USB on the laptop he was able to reset the module. All is working fine now!

I have been reading many threads on the sync 3 swap, and this is where I am at a loss: I have a salvaged 2018 APIM and screen (with nav), GPS antenna and new usb hub and cable from 4dtech, my as built data, donor vehicle (2018 platinum) as built data, donor vehicle adaptive cruise sensor and associated wiring and distance warning dash bezel. Is the adaptive cruise control just plug in and program with FORSCAN, or is there more to it? Another question, which I haven't seen any answers for, is the built in modem. Where is it located, what part number, what wiring package do I need, and if any programming needed. I have the FORSCAN spreadsheet, the OBDII interface, and FORSCAN installed on my laptop. I don't seeing spending another 30 to 40 thousand on a new vehicle when mine is paid for, and when I have all the parts (minus the modem) for under $1000 Any help would be greatly appreciated, and MOD if I have posted incorrectly, please move or delete as appropriate.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one on the same subject. Good luck.

Peter

In my first post, I mentioned the on board modem. Since I already have remote start, will the RMU DL3Z-19A390-B work for the Ford Pass APP remote start, or would I have to get the Security Kit FS7Z-19A361-A for it to work with SYNC 3? Or, since sync 3 is so much different, will any of these solutions work?

In my first post, I mentioned the on board modem. Since I already have remote start, will the RMU DL3Z-19A390-B work for the Ford Pass APP remote start, or would I have to get the Security Kit FS7Z-19A361-A for it to work with SYNC 3? Or, since sync 3 is so much different, will any of these solutions work?

I have the RMU and security on my 16 sport. It has nothing to do with sync 3. It’ll work. If you have the built in modem you could try putting in the vin to see if it gives you the options in the ford pass app.

HELP!!!!! I just majorly scored a Sync 3 (non nav) unit in a salvage yard. I did this upgrade. Now I need to download Sync 3 version 2.2 or later. Also need to get my heated steering wheel and seats working. I added them to the home screen with ForScan but did not do an as built fix. Wife is going to be UPSET like tiny 5 foot maybe Nicaraguan Latina UPSET if she doesn't have her heated steering wheel and seats. Where can I get updates? Sync my ride owner.ford.com says I am up to date because I updated her MFT but that is no longer the case. Do I need to go BACK to the salvage hard and put that VIN in to owner.ford.com and say it is mine and try to download? I did auto updates via wifi the last one was 2 days ago it says but it says it is on version 1.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Latest Sync3 version is 3.0 I believe. I've never been able to download via WiFi, always had to use a USB to update version. What trim level was the APIM from?

Peter

Back