Project Vehicle - 1998 Explorer Limited | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Vehicle - 1998 Explorer Limited

Mine today swiped pry 99% as it should...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ARRRGHHHHHHHH!!!!! My new work hours are killing me and I'm not getting anything done around the house; including checking out my rear window wiper issue.

Unrelated-
My new-to-me 2014 Dodge Charger police car has developed a really loud top end tick in the past couple of days. This happened after I waffled a deer at 55mph. I'm sure they're unrelated but I'm left shaking my head at my luck with this car. In three weeks I've experienced:

-DAY 1- dead battery day
-DAY 2- flat tire
-DAY 2- flat spare
-DAY 9- hit dead dog at 55mph
-DAY 11- hit dear at 55mph
-DAY 12- ABS and body module communication errors
-DAY 13- LOUD valve-train tick

But on the subject of Ford Explorers...
Would it be ridiculous to source the AWD bits and swap them onto my V8 Limited?

No, it would not.
I love my AWD!

Bits!! Lol, good one.

That means a trans swap, tcase, and all the front end parts, not too mention both drive shafts.

Might as well put in the 4406 4wd case for true 4wd and low range. Better traction, mpg with 2wd, and well, just better.

Not ridiculous at all, just a lot of work, time, and money. Others have done the conversion, and there are threads here to help on it.

ARRRGHHHHHHHH!!!!! My new work hours are killing me and I'm not getting anything done around the house; including checking out my rear window wiper issue.

Unrelated-
My new-to-me 2014 Dodge Charger police car has developed a really loud top end tick in the past couple of days. This happened after I waffled a deer at 55mph. I'm sure they're unrelated but I'm left shaking my head at my luck with this car. In three weeks I've experienced:

-DAY 1- dead battery day
-DAY 2- flat tire
-DAY 2- flat spare

Bad luck there, yes, but I believe in the law of averages. It will be better ongoing, I'd expect some good luck now.

The AWD is not electric in any way, so swapping the AWD stuff is basic bolt on steps. The transmission has to come out, and the 4WD version put in, which can be just swapping the output shaft and tail housing(if you like yours or rebuild that). I've considered buying a 2WD for a low cost flip, but the parts and labor will still be quite a bit. So only do it if you need it yourself for a good long while. I don't think it's a good idea for a flip deal, or short term.

AWD or 4406 = good idea if you plan to keep it
You can buy the entire donor, take the parts you need and recycle the rest (sell the 5.0 engine, sell the rear axle, sell the seats, wheels tires, etc. Recycle the battery, cat converters and crush the steel

The police cruiser....well it is a Dodge they are not exactly stellar, which is why we are here, driving old Fords......

Unrelated-

-DAY 1- dead battery day
-DAY 2- flat tire
-DAY 2- flat spare

Not at all, if you need a AWD Transfer, I have one that can be yours for free!

@GLOCKer said "Would it be ridiculous to source the AWD bits and swap them onto my V8 Limited?"

Dude, I think you have now officially gone down the rabbit hole.

Sure the conversion to AWD it can be done (a 4406 would make more sense to me) but do you really want to invest this kind of time and money into what I believe you have referred to as "the turd"? Have you thought about all the stuff you're going to need to change? Have you considered that the used parts you'll need will likely have 200,000 miles on them already? Do you have the time to do this with your new job? Plus, is you wife going to leave you if you go down this road?

If you must have an AWD my advice would be to sell the 2WD and find yourself a nice clean AWD Expl. They're still out there and don't bring a premium in GA.

Here's a local 2001 example with an $1800 asking price. If it wasn't AWD I might snag it for a spare.
01414_b5LWrbS8Xd9_600x450.jpg

For Sale 2001 Ford Explorer

I've been at working stewing on this for the past couple of days. Yes, I know I could probably swap into another Explorer for about the same price (and less headache) than making mine a 4x4. That's the other thing; after poking around I would do the 4406 transfer case. :) My wife; well she'd be less than happy. LOL

I am a bit attached to my "Turd". It was a pretty nasty turd when I got it. She's actually a pretty decent truck now; well minus the fact its RWD and has been buried up to it's axle in mud twice now.

I'd need a 4R70W 4x4/AWD transmission, 3.73 front diff., 4406 transfer case (and selector lever), front bearings, front shafts, calipers, driveshafts and...

What else? Computer?

Not at all, if you need a AWD Transfer, I have one that can be yours for free!
Thanks!
I'm actually leaning towards the 4406!

Well if your going to do it fill me in so I can do it to the exploder I have sitting too

Well if your going to do it fill me in so I can do it to the exploder I have sitting too
We'll see! For sure though; if I do attempt this, it'll be with help and fully documented here!

Oh yeah, just to add...

This morning when I went to bed (yes; got home from work at 6am and slept to 4pm!) I had a nightmare about my Explorer. I dreamed I ran out to the truck to drive somewhere during a torrential downpour and found the sun-roof had been left open about 6". The amount of water pouring into this thing in my dream was absolutely horrible. Why is the Turd appearing in my dreams? LOL

Off the top of my head here are the parts you'll need to swap:
- steering knuckles with hubs
- add the front diff assembly w/matching gear ratio
- install CV axles
- change over to 4x4/AWD front brake rotors
- likely need to install torsion bars for the added weight
- either need to swap trans, output shaft and housing or swap entire transmission
- add t-case (AWD or 4406) cut hole in floor for 4406 shift lever
- add t-case support bracket(s) skid plates
- install front driveshaft
- change rear driveshaft

Other than the AWD/4406 t-case I believe many/all parts needed could come from a V6 4x4 or AWD Explorer as they appear to be the same, though I would think you'd need V8 AWD front t-bars.

Consider how many used parts you would want to replace/rebuild during the swap for reliability.

Edit:
Don't think that just because you'd have 4WD/AWD you're not going to get stuck in GA mud. Even with more aggressive tires there are few things more slippery than wet GA red clay (black ice maybe).

There is no wiring or computer work involved the 5.0L trucks have no idea if they are RWD, AWD or if you convert them to 4wd

Your current torsion bars will be just fine, if the truck sags you can level it out with a TT, no need to mess with the t bars unless you get an entire donor for your 4x4 conversion
You can use parts from a V6 truck as long as the front diff is 3.73 (make sure your rear axle is 3.73, 99.9% of 5.0L trucks are 3.73)

Something to keep in mind, you will need the correct front driveshaft. If you are going AWD, you will need the drive shaft from a 5.0L/AWD Explorer. If you are going 4406, you will need whatever drive shaft is called for by the conversion guides.
The V-6/4WD front drive shafts are the wrong length and will not work.

Good Luck!

I meant all the front end parts in my last post, you can use front end parts from a V6 Explorer (96-01) or Ranger (98-11) donor, the new front differential must have 3.73 gears (to match your existing rear axle).

The 4r70w trans MUST come from a 5.0L explorer awd to get the correct output shaft and tailhousing
This one has 95K miles and is under $500:
1996 1997 FORD EXPLORER MOUNTAINEER 5.0L 4R70W 4X4 AUTO TRANSMISSION TESTED 95K | eBay
This trans is from a 96-97 so to fit into your 98 it would need your current DTRS and the solenoids (and wiring pigtails from your 98 unit/new)
99 with 137K:
1999 FORD EXPLORER AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY 137,000 MILES 5.0 4R70W | eBay

The 4406 t case and linkage comes from 4.2L v6 and 4.6L F150 trucks, 98-04 These trucks use the 4r70w transmission (Anything with the 5.4 or larger use the 4r100 and larger 4407 t case)
You want the front driveshaft from the same 4.6L truck
You want the rear driveshaft from a 97+ 4.6L expedition
The rest is covered in 4406 conversion threads

To go through this trouble for AWD you must really want AWD
MOST 5.0L explorers/Rangers we build use the 4406m case. It gives you more torque to the rear wheels, it lightens up the front steering and wear and tear on ball joints, wheel bearings and most importantly tires. The 5.0L AWD trucks are a little "doggy", when getting on the highway or trying to pass somebody, when the trans kicks down into 3 it leaves something to be desired. With the 4x4 conversion in 2wd this mod brings you "passing power" and better overall MPG (pays for itself in gas and mostly tires).
The true 4x4 50/50 2wd, 4hi, 4low 4406 in a Gen II explorer is awesome.
It turns your Explorer into a real truck

My 1988 Bronco II Eddie Bauer has over 300K miles on it. It has a retail value of about $300 LMAO
Over the last 20+ years I have easily put 30K into this truck, but I have also driven it daily the whole time.
30000 / 20 = 1500 a year. Cheap right? No payments, no interest, lots of cussing and learning. Parts and insurance are cheap, labor is expensive. So I am the labor. Sometimes I put $5000 into it in a month, then there are years where she just gets gas and oil (pretty much since 2005 when I went V8).

Well 4 engines and 6-7 transmissions later (learning curve/test mule/weekend warrior)
she now has 90K on the 280-290hp 5.0, about 5000 miles on the fresh 4r70w, 2500 miles on my current 94 explorer 1354m t case, 35" duratracs, 4.10 yukon gears, dual ARB lockers, custom long travel suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, heated leather seats, Autometer gauges, etc etc etc Duff front and rear bumpers, custom front to back, interior, exterior...........As far as Bronco II's go this one is worth its weight.
I plan to keep it forever unless I get a wild hair and transfer all these parts to something else.
My point is, it's not always about "retail value"
Driving a Bronco daily for 20 years and having something completely custom on the cheap....any wife can see the logic in that :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you do make it a 4WD or AWD, when you buy the spindles, get those from a later model that has the 12" rotors. The only change needed to get the 1" larger rotor, is that spindle, and the rotor. Those began in the 2001 Sport and Sport Trac, never in the 2nd gen 4dr. The Rangers have them too, I forgot when that began, but until 2011. The 2001-2003 Sport, and 2001-2005 Sport Trac have them. The brakes are the same between 2WD and AWD/4WD 2nd gens, that later rotor version uses a different caliper which is not needed, not special at all. So keep your calipers in any case, replace the hoses for new.

The only difference in those spindles is the caliper bolt hole locations, they are outboard 1/2" farther.

SportTracRotor01.JPG

Cryo rotors 2001+ .JPG

Back