• Register Today It's free!

Which tire pressure ?

Augustin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer v8 5.0
Good morning,

I have bridgestone DUELER A/T 001 3PMSF M+S 255/70 R16 111 S for my explorer V8
On my car, i have this inscription (see the file) : i think the pression is kPa/30..is it true ?
And in France the pressure is in Bar. How can i change kPa in bar ? Is it 3 bars ?
Are my tirs can endure 3 bars ?
At this time, i have 2 bars but i think it's not enough.

Thanks for answers
Thomas

IMG_1087 - copie.jpg

IMG_1091 - copie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

30 PSI is 2.0 Bar/Kpa
36 PSI is 2.5 Bar/Kpa

What do you run in your Gen 2 Explorer?

I find the answer...sorry !!!!!
It's 207 KPA = 30 PSI !!
I made an error : i thought it was kpa 30 on the tag..sorry

Run them between 30-36 psi.

Good morning,

I have bridgestone DUELER A/T 001 3PMSF M+S 255/70 R16 111 S for my explorer V8
On my car, i have this inscription (see the file) : i think the pression is kPa/30..is it true ?
And in France the pressure is in Bar. How can i change kPa in bar ? Is it 3 bars ?
Are my tirs can endure 3 bars ?
At this time, i have 2 bars but i think it's not enough.

Thanks for answers
Thomas

View attachment 167315

View attachment 167316
Put it into my made motorhome tirepressure calculator and gave front 21 psi and rear 25 psi.
In this I add 5% to the front gawr of 2850lbs, and 18% to the rear gawr of 3000 lbs.
Then calculates pressure with extra safe formula( so gives higher pressure then the official european formula that is since 2006 also used in America for P-tires.

So if your tires are onroad tires with normal profile blocks, this is a safe pressure upto 99mh.
In the Ford/Firestone- affaire ofroadlooking tires where used with profileblocks that covered part of the sidewall, wich gave more heatproduction at the same deflection( so same pressure for the load on tire) .
To my conclusions, this was the real cource of the blowing rear tires that lead to rollover-accidents.
Advice pressures in this time for the Explorer was 26 psi , and later highened up to 30 psi.

SO IF YOU HAVE THAT OFFROADLOOKING TIRES STILL, MY ADVICE IS TO LOW.
For that I lowered the loadindex 111 by 8 steps to 103 wich is 20% lower and this gives advice of front 29 psi and rear 32 psi.
Then you have a deflection that gives lesser heatproduction, but comfort and gripp is less.

The 18% adding to gawr rear I do for motorhomes, to cover overloading and unequal loading R/L , and this is also not bad for your car.
See on picture its from 1998 so probably the plate has been chanched in a callbach action. Original plate then gave 26 psi.

“Off-road looking tires”?

You can’t just use a calculator to factor the idea pressure for tires, especially using appearances.

Number of belts, tire load range, treadwear rating are all factors. I’ve ran tires from 30-50 pounds.

Best bet is to start with a known, safe realistic pressure, and check the treadwear in 5k. If you’re wearing evenly but more in the center, you should probably drop a few PSI. Raise it if the center is wearing more.

You can also chalk test them to try and set your initial pressure.

32-35 PSI should be pretty much the optimal tire pressure for on-road use. You could go higher (I don't recommend exceeding the tire manufacturer's MAX PSI printed on the side of the tire) but running higher than 35 PSI will give a harsher ride. I like to run around 32 PSI and find my tire wear, ride comfort and MPG very satisfactory. Don't forget to adjust pressure up or down with changing seasons and to at least visually check your tires at each fuel refill and check them with a tire gauge once a month.

Like most things automotive (and in life) everything is a compromise. Just because someone tells you they run 40 PSI in their tires doesn't mean that's the best pressure for you.

Back