Police Interceptor Utility Photo Thread | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Police Interceptor Utility Photo Thread

What motor do you have? Reason I’m asking is I have a 3.7 and have been looking for a cold air intake but can’t find anything that will work.

The one for the NA 3.5 won't work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Added LED foglamps.

1111.jpg

22222.jpg

I read some comments on Ford titling the cars and selling at auction.... I bought my 2013 Taurus Police Interceptor at auction it was used by the MN State Patrol and it had never been titled, it came with Certificate of Origin only. I was the first person to title the car in 2018. My current 2015 Interceptor was titled to a fleet sales company, which got it at auction.

I think it's probably governed by state laws and could vary in different areas.

Awesome! How difficult was the install? I've been thinking about doing this myself.

I haven't done the fog lights, but added grill lights... the bumper removal is super frustrating. There are bolts where the cover meets the fender that are VERY high up from the bottom and nearly impossible to get to from the top. If you could remove the headlight, it would be a breeze...but you have to remove the bumper to get the headlight out!

A 10mm socket on a long 1/4" extension, thru the slotted opening above the bolts makes short work of them.

I read some comments on Ford titling the cars and selling at auction.... I bought my 2013 Taurus Police Interceptor at auction it was used by the MN State Patrol and it had never been titled, it came with Certificate of Origin only. I was the first person to title the car in 2018. My current 2015 Interceptor was titled to a fleet sales company, which got it at auction.

I think it's probably governed by state laws and could vary in different areas.

Indeed. In some states (MN is one) emergency vehicles are not required to be registered (at all), hence no title until later.

I haven't done the fog lights, but added grill lights... the bumper removal is super frustrating. There are bolts where the cover meets the fender that are VERY high up from the bottom and nearly impossible to get to from the top. If you could remove the headlight, it would be a breeze...but you have to remove the bumper to get the headlight out!

This latest trend of making it so the bumper has to come off for a headlight to come out is, indeed, puzzling. This is also the case with my wife's 328i. On my Focus, by contrast, a headlight can be removed in approximately 90 seconds, if one hurries.

This latest trend of making it so the bumper has to come off for a headlight to come out is, indeed, puzzling. This is also the case with my wife's 328i. On my Focus, by contrast, a headlight can be removed in approximately 90 seconds, if one hurries.
Not sure if it is a "latest trend" or not. I forget what year it was in, perhaps the 50's, where you had to remove the rear bumper on a Cadillac in order to change a taillight bulb.

Peter

My PIU got a buddy!

Jacky Jones Ford finally (after a good three years of trying) got some of my money. Kind got tired of my Focus (I had three in a row), was thinking about a replacement, considered various options from an F250 to a Mustang, especially since my commute recently went from 250 miles each way once a week to barely 60 miles each way, so gas mileage became less of an issue. Wasn't necessarily considering another Interceptor, but while perusing ebay, ran into what has to be the strangest-configured PIS I've ever come across. The car was ordered by Ford for internal use of some kind (O/T M), possibly to be driven by one of their bigwigs, but it looks like either said bigwig got fired or didn't like the car, because it went from Chicago Assembly Plant right to World Headquarters Garage in Dearborn where in the next 2 years it accumulated barely over 200 miles before being unceremoniously shipped off to the auction earlier this year, where Jacky Jones snapped it up. I saw it on ebay and figured where there's one Interceptor, there are two. Vermillion Red is a VSO color, and I've never seen another PIS thus painted, and have only seen a few Fire Chief PIUs in Vermillion. So, between that and the Interior Upgrade Package, the Alloys, BLIS, Reverse Sensing, the deal was sealed. Paid an exorbitant of money for it, but what the hey?! Here it is.

PIS1.jpg

Added LED foglamps.

1111.jpg

22222.jpg

Oooh you didn't have fog lights at all before? I have a few questions

Sourcing:
Assys?
LEDs?
Wiring harnesses?

Programming:
I assume Forscan was used? Was it a particular pain in the backside or fairly straightforward?

Just joined the club. Ecoboost 3.5L :)

OasNSkR.jpg
Looks cool. New or used? Where'd you get it from? Not a lot of ebs compared to 3.7s. What did you pay for it?

Looks cool. New or used? Where'd you get it from? Not a lot of ebs compared to 3.7s. What did you pay for it?

Used 2016, 89k on clock. Got it from a small dealer who bought it off of auction after it was in a no frame damage/no air bag accident. They replaced some big parts with the police version (hood with interceptor logo, even one of the headlights that came in at close to $900), but all replacements are factory parts (with receipt) from my local dealership. Absolutely love it.

I paid 12.5k.

I got lucky on the deal. It was reversed into at an angle by a lifted truck during a traffic stop. So couldn't have been going very fast. The lifted truck missed the bumper bar, and the headlight, hood and radiator took the brunt of the hit. They didn't pursue after due to a civilian ride along injury, so major damage was limited to that pretty much.

Bonus features:
Came with Sync1 with aux and USB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back