Aftermarket Sport Exhaust Thread | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Sport Exhaust Thread

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone. I purchased a 2013 XLT. 3.5NA about 6 months ago. Love it. No complaints at all. However, I'm wanting to replace the exhaust with something that has a little noise to it. Any suggestions for kits or even replacement mufflers that will give it a real nice sound?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one as identified above.

Peter

Been waiting almost 8 months for a cat back system to be developed for this vehicle. Borla finally comes out with one a couple of weeks ago with a price tag of almost $2 grand. Too rich for me. Thinking about having my local shop work something up for less than half. What do all of y'all think about Flowmaster mufflers and an X pipe after the cat? Could go with quad tips like OEM. Looking for some recommendations on mufflers, not too loud, but letting you know something's there. Thanks for any help.

I recently had my exhaust shop put a couple magnaflows on it with 3" tips but they deleted the resonator. It had too much drone for me so I put a magnaflow resonator on it. Drone is virtually gone. I love the sound. It sounds great at idle.

2015 Limited 3.5L NA

Welcome to the Forum Adrian.:wave:

Peter

Been waiting almost 8 months for a cat back system to be developed for this vehicle. Borla finally comes out with one a couple of weeks ago with a price tag of almost $2 grand. Too rich for me. Thinking about having my local shop work something up for less than half. What do all of y'all think about Flowmaster mufflers and an X pipe after the cat? Could go with quad tips like OEM. Looking for some recommendations on mufflers, not too loud, but letting you know something's there. Thanks for any help.

Flowmasters would probably drone like **** and drive you nuts.

Yeah the Borla kit is over the top price wise when you consider what the actual performance gains might be.

Yeah the Borla kit is over the top price wise when you consider what the actual performance gains might be.

You do get gains, but not a lot unless you get DP too.

However, with this system, the Corsa/Livernois now becomes more attractive (price wise) for me even though I'd have to buy new tips.

Magnaflow has a cat-back under development but cant confirm when it will be ready or an estimated price. I was happy to see Borla released a version for '18-'19 but from their video (the only one available) it doesn't sound as aggressive as the previous model and its twice the price. (fyi: I'm interested in sound not performance)

That said, I'm pretty tired of waiting and might just pull the trigger on the Borla once I get my Nittos and am itching to spend some more money.

Magnaflow has a cat-back under development but cant confirm when it will be ready or an estimated price. I was happy to see Borla released a version for '18-'19 but from their video (the only one available) it doesn't sound as aggressive as the previous model and its twice the price. (fyi: I'm interested in sound not performance)

That said, I'm pretty tired of waiting and might just pull the trigger on the Borla once I get my Nittos and am itching to spend some more money.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Is it worth doing an X pipe if just changing out the mufflers?

Livernois Catback Installed

I finally got my Livernois/Corsa catback exhaust installed. It took me a while to decide which exhaust system to go with but ultimately I chose the Livernois/Corsa kit because it bolts up to the downpipe flanges rather than requiring cutting the pipes behind the secondary cat like the others. Also, you can get it with black tips which I wanted for the Sport.

It came nicely packaged.
ZERJBSj.jpg

Here it is next to the OEM exhaust.
Th3Hs8L.jpg

dNiMVzH.jpg

Here's how those black tips look installed. I think it looks great and goes good with the black theme of the Sport along with the de-chroming I have done with the badging.
G3XJglg.jpg

s6oyREy.jpg

t0aaL42.jpg

Ery1QKq.jpg

Now for the sound. I bought this knowing it might be a little too loud or have drone at lower RPM due to what others have said. While it sounds excellent at idle and while accelerating, if you do any driving at low RPM (1000-2000 RPM) with the engine under load, the drone is almost unbearable. Especially in the rear seats.
I decided to weld up some quarter-wave resonators. My math said they should be 36.75" long. The place that had the room was near the X-pipe, so I bought some 2" 304 SS elbows, straight pipe, and flat plate and welded them onto the X-pipe section.
8WewMip.jpg

Here it is all done and installed. It is a night and day difference! It is almost as quiet as OEM at low RPM unless you really put it under load, at which point you do get some growl but it's not headache inducing. The idle is deep and the acceleration sound is amazing, both of which sound similar to before the quarter-wave resonators.
qax2aEj.jpg

Back