What is this?

TerryY

Reaction score
City, State
Woodland Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
It is probably obvious but.... 2018 Sport
It has lit up/flickered to life twice now but I have no clue why and can't relate it to anything yet.
20190202_165857.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is your advance collision warning lights. It will light up if it detects you are about to hit something.

Thanks I think I was stopped both times so I wouldn't have related that on my own. Even with a clue it is difficult to connect that light strip with its function in the owners manual.
It has almost 300 miles on it now!! Sure different from my 98 ex v8. But in many respects quite similar to my 2013 PI Sedan w/ecoboost.

You can adjust the sensitivity of the warning system in the driver assist settings using the screen to the left of the speedometer.

I've had more only false indicators than anything else. I guess when it might actually work as intended, it might be worth the nuisance.

I tell you that the Dealership ( salesman) should have walked you through all the stuff the car has. Shame on him...

I tell you that the Dealership ( salesman) should have walked you through all the stuff the car has. Shame on him...

Yeah, although not too surprising. Especially if it was bought used.

But I urge the OP to sit down inside the car, uninterrupted, and just play with all the buttons and settings. If they weren't sure about a physical feature right in front of them, then they are going to be amazed at everything else this vehicle is capable of.

Yeah, although not too surprising. Especially if it was bought used.

But I urge the OP to sit down inside the car, uninterrupted, and just play with all the buttons and settings. If they weren't sure about a physical feature right in front of them, then they are going to be amazed at everything else this vehicle is capable of.
......and read the Manual all the way through. It's a 2018 Sport so I'm guessing it is new.

Peter

It is probably obvious but.... 2018 Sport
It has lit up/flickered to life twice now but I have no clue why and can't relate it to anything yet.
See page 233 of your Owner's Manual, PRE-COLLISION ASSIST (If Equipped). There should also be a tone (alarm) available with that. If you are getting false indications then it could be an issue with the sensor or sensitivity setting. I haven't had any false alarms with this system on the vehicles I've had with the feature.

Peter

Ah there it is on the top of pq 239 of the 2018 owners manual!!! I must be getting old and slow.
Unfortunately the rendering in the printed manual is pretty much undeserving of praise because of the darkness of the printing. I makes more sense in the electronic version of the manual that I downloaded and read two days Before I bought the car. And I have worn a path to it playing with all the buttons and switches.
It has way more toys then my 2013 ecoboost PI sedan does but drives about the same. I do miss the low speed turbo whine though and am not sure if the V8 sounds the Sport makes under heavy load make up for it.
I do believe I am going to enjoy the experience for a very long time! I still have my 98 v8 XLT for the dirty stuff though.

Ah there it is on the top of pq 239 of the 2018 owners manual!!! I must be getting old and slow.
Unfortunately the rendering in the printed manual is pretty much undeserving of praise because of the darkness of the printing. I makes more sense in the electronic version of the manual that I downloaded............
I have all 9 model year manuals downloaded and it's much easier to locate things using the "Find" command.

Peter

Upon further review--What I saw was the startup self test and not an actual alert. Apparently I have been looking down at all oh the "OH SHINY!!!" flashing lights instead of looking at the windshield when I have started it up till now. That and playing with Ford Pass so it is warmed up when I get there.
Salesman went thru a whole lot of explanations of the magic but that bit either he or I missed. Car had 64 miles when I bought it and still under 300 miles.

I have all 9 model year manuals downloaded and it's much easier to locate things using the "Find" command.

Peter

The thing I always forget when referring people to Search functions in all the forums I play in is that you need to know what to search for before search/find is useful. At the start of this thread if I searched on "LED strip on dash" or any variants there of I would still know far less than I do now. So thanks to everybody for their answers and reminders of other tools to use.

See page 233 of your Owner's Manual, PRE-COLLISION ASSIST (If Equipped). There should also be a tone (alarm) available with that. If you are getting false indications then it could be an issue with the sensor or sensitivity setting. I haven't had any false alarms with this system on the vehicles I've had with the feature.

Peter
Maybe false alarm was the wrong term I used. I run across it with relatively sharp curves on streets where, if I continued straight, I would have jumped the curve and hit a tree or post or tall grass or ... Maybe not exactly false but not really correct given the street.

I have this feature on my '15 as well. From what I remember, it has three sensitivity settings. I keep mine on the highest setting. While I do get what I call "false positives," (mostly from vehicles turning into a driveway of a shopping center off the main road, as their vehicle is still in the view of the front camera) I would rather have the heads up warning sooner then later. It has helped me avoid an accident twice now because it. For me, I can put up the occasionally false warning. I just pat her on the dash and tell her it's okay, daddy saw it.... LOL!

I have this feature on my '15 as well. From what I remember, it has three sensitivity settings. I keep mine on the highest setting. While I do get what I call "false positives," (mostly from vehicles turning into a driveway of a shopping center off the main road, as their vehicle is still in the view of the front camera) I would rather have the heads up warning sooner then later. I has helped me avoid an accident twice now because it. For me, I can put up the occasionally false warning. I just pat her on the dash and tell her it's okay, daddy saw it.... LOL!
That situation seems to be the most common cause of the alarm. Had that happen too.

Peter

Back