2020 Explorer | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer

Has anyone seen if or what the 18in wheels/tire size is?

If I buy it will be a trim that only comes with the silly 20+ wheels which are more or less soccer mom tires. I wonder if a dealer would swap wheels ie upgrade a base model so O can tires on my Limited or platinum that will survive our pothole roads and summer camping trips?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think they will be bigger than that. A 21" wheel will generally clear a 17" or 432 mm rotor. Why would they put on special and expensive 21" wheels and tires unless they needed them for brake clearance? The performance and handling improvement will be negligible over a 20" setup so why do it unless they need the clearance. Lets face it, 99% of the ST's will end up being driven by soccer moms anyway and they won't need or notice the slight increase in handling from the 21" wheel and tire package. Most likely the track pack brakes will be around a 380 mm or 15" for the front. My mustang has 15" front brakes with a 19" wheel from the factory.

Has anyone seen if or what the 18in wheels/tire size is?

If I buy it will be a trim that only comes with the silly 20+ wheels which are more or less soccer mom tires. I wonder if a dealer would swap wheels ie upgrade a base model so O can tires on my Limited or platinum that will survive our pothole roads and summer camping trips?
I would imagine the 18" would be the same as the current one. 245/60R18. The Limited, ST (without street/track packs) and Platinum will have the 255/50R20 tires.
The 275/45R21 are part of the ST packs and are an option on the Platinum. I doubt a dealer would swap wheels ( I think that is what you were asking as the next few words didn't make much sense) since they could get stuck with them but you could always ask. 18" wheels will fit on those with 20" since I use 18" Winter wheels on my Platinum.

Peter

245/60R18 Isn’t too bad. My Sequoia is on 265 60 18’s Which always seemed decent but looked kinda small. And I’m no monster tire guy. LoL

But these 20+ inch wheels with thin side wall tires on a heavy Family hauler makes me want to whack the Marketing dept in the back of the head.

245/60R18 Isn’t too bad. My Sequoia is on 265 60 18’s Which always seemed decent but looked kinda small. And I’m no monster tire guy. LoL

But these 20+ inch wheels with thin side wall tires on a heavy Family hauler makes me want to whack the Marketing dept in the back of the head.
I guess you are not in marketing because 20's+ are on everything these days and most buyers want them that way.

I guess you are not in marketing because 20's+ are on everything these days and most buyers want them that way.

Yeah I get it everyone wants to roll on 20’s except they are all city slickers rolling bald junk tires. Some of us actually need tires that don’t burst from potholes or go flat after a gravel road. LoL

Yeah I get it everyone wants to roll on 20’s except they are all city slickers rolling bald junk tires. Some of us actually need tires that don’t burst from potholes or go flat after a gravel road. LoL
The rim diameter and aspect ratio don't make a tire "bald" nor does it really affect its ability to hold up on a gravel road. Tread depth is what us important there. Also these are not rubber band 20 and 30 series, the new standard on the limited is a 255/55R20 vs 255/65R18, which is only 1 in difference in sidewall height. The ST has 275/45R21 which is a 1.6 in shorter sidewall vs the XLT. The ST tires still have a 4.9" sidewall. I have driven plenty of miles on unmaintained gravel roads, mountain roads, and crappy city roads in my '12 Limited with 255/50R20's and have never had a single issue other than nails/screws which affects everyone unless you have big tread A/T tires like my truck.

I'll take practicality over aesthetics (which I don't necessarily agree with) any day. I'd rather have a smoother ride, cheaper replacement tires, and less damage to rims over theoretical better handling that I don't think I've ever needed on my 180k miles 2002 Explorer. Wouldn't mind switching out for some 18" on a new Platinum.

I'll take practicality over aesthetics (which I don't necessarily agree with) any day. I'd rather have a smoother ride, cheaper replacement tires, and less damage to rims over theoretical better handling that I don't think I've ever needed on my 180k miles 2002 Explorer. Wouldn't mind switching out for some 18" on a new Platinum.
Ability to drop air pressure on the 18’s vs not so much on the 20-21’s is also a big advantage when actually doing SUV like stuff vs Sport wagon use

Sports wagon?:dunno:

Ability to drop air pressure on the 18’s vs not so much on the 20-21’s is also a big advantage when actually doing SUV like stuff vs Sport wagon use
Sounds like what you really want is a body on frame SUV, like a last gen Bronco. A unibody 7 pax SUV you probably shouldn't be dropping air pressure to do rugged 4x4 stuff anyway. Not saying it isn't capable, just probably not the best choice.

Sounds like what you really want is a body on frame SUV, like a last gen Bronco. A unibody 7 pax SUV you probably shouldn't be dropping air pressure to do rugged 4x4 stuff anyway. Not saying it isn't capable, just probably not the best choice.

Yeah ok guess 300,000 miles of Subarus and airing down for various terrain was all wrong. I’m sure the Explorer is far far more capable than my Subarus. I have a 1st gen Sequoia had a Landcruiser here’s the catch not once in 25yrs have I needed the full 4x4 capability of those rigs and they sucked on those long 1000+ mile highway National Park trips. There is a big reason the wagon/suv rigs are popular especially the ones with decent road manners.

I'll let you know as soon as Livernois puts mine on the dyno.. :laugh:
We are real excited on these new explorer ST's. We are excited to get one on the dyno and see what she does and what she can do. I will keep everyone posted when first one goes on the dyno. Thanks

We are real excited on these new explorer ST's. We are excited to get one on the dyno and see what she does and what she can do. I will keep everyone posted when first one goes on the dyno. Thanks
Would like to see an Aviator on there as well, both standard and GT, especially if you can get the electric only, gas only, and combined numbers.

Yes we also are excited for the lincoln line as well.

Wow. MSRP of the ST and the Invoice price is only 2K difference? I have never seen this. Last time I was able to negotiate my 16 sport at around Invoice price which was 4.5K off from MSRP. That 4.5K was deducted and even the finance guy at the end said, we are not making any money. I told them, yes you are. Ford is still giving you additional rebate of 500 or so. Customers don't know this. He then tricked me into getting a tire and wheel protection for over 1K and i negotiated to 800 but I never used it as wheels and tires are in a decent condition. (some peeling from front tires was noticeable on my 16).

This will probably mean that those who want to by Ford ST with Track pack but not the package with the ugly screen can save around 2K and 1K off for putting a normal display screen. 3K off from MSRP price which will still be 50K. If anyone knows how I can save more bucks please let me know. I don't want to order ST until I get a good deal.

Wow. MSRP of the ST and the Invoice price is only 2K difference? I have never seen this. Last time I was able to negotiate my 16 sport at around Invoice price which was 4.5K off from MSRP. That 4.5K was deducted and even the finance guy at the end said, we are not making any money. I told them, yes you are. Ford is still giving you additional rebate of 500 or so. Customers don't know this. He then tricked me into getting a tire and wheel protection for over 1K and i negotiated to 800 but I never used it as wheels and tires are in a decent condition. (some peeling from front tires was noticeable on my 16).

This will probably mean that those who want to by Ford ST with Track pack but not the package with the ugly screen can save around 2K and 1K off for putting a normal display screen. 3K off from MSRP price which will still be 50K. If anyone knows how I can save more bucks please let me know. I don't want to order ST until I get a good deal.

Ford shrunk the difference between MSRP and Invoice several years ago. You are only talking about 6% off MSRP to get to Invoice pricing.

Can't look up 2016 pricing but 2017 Sport Base price $46,300 and invoice, $44,260. Invoice pricing was not $4,500 off MSRP on your 16. You may be thinking of rebates on top of your normal discount. Infact, when I just priced out a loaded 17, the options are only about 5% difference between MSRP and Invoice.

Ford shrunk the difference between MSRP and Invoice several years ago. You are only talking about 6% off MSRP to get to Invoice pricing.

Can't look up 2016 pricing but 2017 Sport Base price $46,300 and invoice, $44,260. Invoice pricing was not $4,500 off MSRP on your 16. You may be thinking of rebates on top of your normal discount. Infact, when I just priced out a loaded 17, the options are only about 5% difference between MSRP and Invoice.

Yeah, but even 6 percent from 50K car is 3K. For a fully loaded 54K ST truck it should be even more the 3K off. Maybe we will see Costco or Xplan or Truecar rebates that will help people make a good deal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, but even 6 percent from 50K car is 3K. For a fully loaded 54K ST truck it should be even more the 3K off. Maybe we will see Costco or Xplan or Truecar rebates that will help people make a good deal.

Xplan is more than invoice. Xplan doesn't get you under invoice pricing until you hit $65k MSRP. But it does save you on ridiculous fees.

Example of my build
MSRP $60,315
Invoice $57899.32
Xplan $57,942.72
D plan $55,757.32

A/Z plan $55,657.32

To clarify, base price of vehicle there is only 4% different between MSRP and Invoice but all the package add ons are priced at 6% different.

Back