Looking to Upgrade a 4th Gen Head Unit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to Upgrade a 4th Gen Head Unit

BootyDo

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited V8
Hi All,

I've searched the forums a bit here for "Android" and surprised there aren't that many threads about a cheap Android swap. So figure I'll ask as the models available are growing each day.

First, regardless of Head Unit, what size is the 4th Generation? I'm using Crutchfield as a guide and selecting some of the DVD and Navigation units, they're still including a mounting for Double DIN. Is our HU an odd size? Just looking to keep flush and I know I've seen mainstream HU on the forums with an almost factory fit.

Secondly, if looking to keep steering wheel controls, (and factory sub?), is this my only option:
PAC RP4-FD11 Wiring Interface

Finally, onto the actual Head Units themselves, I was looking at a cheap Android mostly for the ability to run Torque and use Waze. My original HU has navigation. If I swapped, does all that stuff just link to the phone via bluetooth, (depending on the HU I suppose), or is there a way navigation can still be retained if I didn't carry my phone with me?

Sorry if this is so scattered. But any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

It's a double-DIN sized unit. I replaced mine with a single-DIN and the small cubby storage shelf underneath since I don't need navigation or video or touch screen. Get the latest unit you can, some of them may have Bluetooth implementations that are 2 years old and although it says your phone may work with it, if it's a newer phone it may be wonky. Make sure it is updateable.

Booty do.
Did you ever purchase one? I'm looking at changing out my head unit also. i have the same questions on navigation without the phone.

Back