[5R55S] No Reverse | Can't Take Off In 'D' | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

[5R55S] No Reverse | Can't Take Off In 'D'

OfficialSmudge

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT
I have a 2007 Ford Explorer RWD 4.0L v6. This problem started very suddenly. Here's the description of my problems right now...
I cannot use reverse. Shifting in to 'R' will jerk the vehicle back just slightly. It feels like it just barely catches if I really rev it up, but hardly enough to move.
The same thing happens if I try to take off in 'D'. However, I can shift in to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd to take off (and they all work correctly). Once the vehicle is moving fast enough for 4th gear, I can shift it in to 'D' but O/D must be OFF. Once it's moving faster yet, I can turn O/D ON. If I slow down too much (say <25mph) it will come out of gear, and I must manually select a lower gear again.
The problems started very subtly and intermittent at first, but over the course of over a month, it had come to this state.

I tried putting in Lucas Oil Transmission Fix with no luck. No engine codes, unless I really let it slip, but then it only throws P1700 (I think that's right), I guess indicating that the input speed and output speed are mismatched given the targeted gear.

I've heard of this exact problem from another user (describing it as "no reverse or auto function"), but they didn't really mention what exactly was broken. I know I'll probably have to get this rebuilt by a professional, but I thirst for knowledge. I understand this transmission somewhat well, but I don't know what could cause this. It absolutely boggles me that it will go into 1st perfectly if I shift manually, but it will not move if I try to take off in D. I originally though that was an electrical issue because the problem got much worse the day a lot of ice melted under the truck. Please let me know what you think, I'd love to know what wrong with this thing. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

needs to come out,, it's done,, broken band in the trans

look around wrecking yards for another,,
find one that was in a crash , but not bad enough to break the trans,, that way you know it was being driven before it came to the yard,,

needs to come out,, it's done,, broken band in the trans

look around wrecking yards for another,,
find one that was in a crash , but not bad enough to break the trans,, that way you know it was being driven before it came to the yard,,
Would that explain why it goes in to the lower gears manually, but not automatically? The reverse problem was intermittent at first, but now seems permanent. Would the reverse band break in such a way that it would cause intermittent problems to begin with? Thanks for the response!

I finally found some information on this exact problem. It's the overdrive sprag. According to JK080 (Transmission Moderator) on another post:
This is more likely the overdrive sprag.

The sprag must hold for all engagements both forward and reverse, the reason why the transmission engages in manual low and manual second is the coast clutch is applied. When the coast clutch is applied it holds the same part that the overdrive sprag drives (overdrive planet). The overdrive sprag is not needed for overdrive because the overdrive band hold the drum and the sprag overrides.
Might attempt this one myself.

I finally found some information on this exact problem. It's the overdrive sprag. According to JK080 (Transmission Moderator) on another post:

Might attempt this one myself.

I was about to post about the sprag failure but looks like you found it already. Its most likely what you are dealing with also.

Would that explain why it goes in to the lower gears manually, but not automatically? The reverse problem was intermittent at first, but now seems permanent. Would the reverse band break in such a way that it would cause intermittent problems to begin with? Thanks for the response!
How much will this issue cost to repair? I’m not good with complex auto issues, so wouldn’t want to attempt this. At a shop, about how much to fix the spray? Mine is doing exact same. A 99 explorer, it’s a great vehicle, but out of no where this started

How much will this issue cost to repair? I’m not good with complex auto issues, so wouldn’t want to attempt this. At a shop, about how much to fix the spray? Mine is doing exact same. A 99 explorer, it’s a great vehicle, but out of no where this started

Hi Jgoode5674, the cost will be up to the shop that does the repair.

They will want to rebuild the whole thing rather than just fixing the sprag assembly. I would expect the 5R55E somewhere between 2k to 2.5k to do it right and have a decent warranty.

This is exactly what happen to my 02 ranger when the trans let go, moved slighty if revved in R nothing in D, and moved in 1 and 2, and we limped it to the garage in 2nd that way, and changed the trans.

Hi Jgoode5674, the cost will be up to the shop that does the repair.

They will want to rebuild the whole thing rather than just fixing the sprag assembly. I would expect the 5R55E somewhere between 2k to 2.5k to do it right and have a decent warranty.

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer RWD 4.0L v6. This problem started very suddenly. Here's the description of my problems right now...
I cannot use reverse. Shifting in to 'R' will jerk the vehicle back just slightly. It feels like it just barely catches if I really rev it up, but hardly enough to move.
The same thing happens if I try to take off in 'D'. However, I can shift in to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd to take off (and they all work correctly). Once the vehicle is moving fast enough for 4th gear, I can shift it in to 'D' but O/D must be OFF. Once it's moving faster yet, I can turn O/D ON. If I slow down too much (say <25mph) it will come out of gear, and I must manually select a lower gear again.
The problems started very subtly and intermittent at first, but over the course of over a month, it had come to this state.

I tried putting in Lucas Oil Transmission Fix with no luck. No engine codes, unless I really let it slip, but then it only throws P1700 (I think that's right), I guess indicating that the input speed and output speed are mismatched given the targeted gear.

I've heard of this exact problem from another user (describing it as "no reverse or auto function"), but they didn't really mention what exactly was broken. I know I'll probably have to get this rebuilt by a professional, but I thirst for knowledge. I understand this transmission somewhat well, but I don't know what could cause this. It absolutely boggles me that it will go into 1st perfectly if I shift manually, but it will not move if I try to take off in D. I originally though that was an electrical issue because the problem got much worse the day a lot of ice melted under the truck. Please let me know what you think, I'd love to know what wrong with this thing. Thanks!
I have found the cause of this problem, I made a video about the same thing that happened on my S197 Mustang, they have the same 5R55S transmission.. It is the over drive sprag.. Hopefully This video will help someone out that are having the same problem.. the transmission is the same in ford rangers, ford mustangs, and ford explorers..

I have the exact same problem.

Back