1997 "blue" 4.0 SOHC Intake Gaskets R&R Review | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 "blue" 4.0 SOHC Intake Gaskets R&R Review

allmyEXes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
I rarely have a chance to work on our '97 that we refer to as "Flo". My Wife is driving it close to 500 miles a week. This is the same Explorer that is the test vehicle for the adjustable manual tensioner for the RH timing chain. Aug 2017 I had to remove the upper intake to replace the thermostat housing and I used the cheap $18 one complete with new sensors and it is still hanging in there. However I did not replace the Intake gaskets.
Since that time whenever it is cold it would start up and jump up to nearly 2000 RPMs. It was really scary when the 180K rear tensioner was not pumped up. The adjustable tensioner took care of that.
THE CEL has been coming on and staying on with a p0174 I think.
Saturday afternoon when the rain stopped for about two hours , I was able to remove both upper and lower intake parts. It took 50 minutes to do this.
Tools required:
-8mm/5/16" tool to undo the negative battery terminal
-very small flat blade/tip screw driver -for wiring harness clips and two vacuum line clips
-7 mm 1/4" drive socket for the appearance cover and throttle/cruise control cable (don't remove the CC cable clip or you'll loose the calibration)
-T-30 hand driver or 1/4" drive-For the 8 upper plenum fasteners-(I only had 3/8" drive and you can not remove the hidden 8th fastener with 3/8)
-8mm socket for the 12 lower intake fasteners and the IAC
-3/8" ratchet and extensions
-1/4" ratchet,extension and swivel
-T-20 driver for that thing in the top of the upper plenum that is blocking at least 1 fastener
-Pliers for the hose clamp on the brake booster hose (either end)
-10mm socket for the PCM connector
-11mm/7/16" socket for the PCM harness on the firewall
-Inch pounds torque wrench

OPOI (other points of interest):
-The fact that FoMoCo designed the grooves deep enough that you don't have to worry that the new gaskets will fall out during reassembly. Not with FELPRO gaskets, that is. I recommend them and others that have done this task recommend them too.
-The poster that suggested having a vacuum cleaner nearby to clean off the mouse nest on top of the engine under the fuel injector harness was right. Looks like a cozy place to birth some baby mice.
-If the EGR valve & bracket that bolts up to the cylinder head behind the AC/PS bracket was two pieces and you could unbolt the EGR valve from the bracket it would come off with the intake.
-That plastic tube that plugs in to the big rubber hose (forgive me folks, I can't remember the name of parts right now) that connects the Mass air sensor to the throttle body and the other end to the thing on top of the upper plenum, For some reason runs the length of the intake and then capped on the back end WTF? OK, one of you FoMoCo Engineers tell me why?
A picture of that part below:
I will add a picture soon
Anyway I was going to put a picture here of that part and found something interesting wrong with it. The rubber "Y" has a 1/2" crack in it making a big vacuum leak. I looked on RA Parts and couldn't find one. Well that is that part that I was telling you about that one end ran to nowhere. I borrowed one off of my other '97 4.0 SOHC powered truck for now. However I don't see why a piece of hose couldn't be used to hook directly to the black plastic tube to the "big rubber hose"
I started reassembling at 2:40 this afternoon and was finished by 4:20. I had stopped 2 or 3 times to go in to wash greasy hands (that helps to thaw them out) and I checked out a video from a guy that did this task to get the torque specs.
I had 2 hours and 20 minutes in the job. I could see a Shop charging 2.5 to 3.0 hours plus parts, but I have not found a labor time on it (410fortune enlighten me).
Here is a link to the part 1 and part 2 videos that I referred to

When I finished I hooked the battery back up. Started it up and it idled at about 1200 RPMs then when it warmed up in park 800. In gear about 650.
Now don't let these little engines fool you. They have a bad reputation because of the secondary timing chains.Mainly that the RH chain is only accessible by removing the engine or transmission. When you first start it up you will hear a rush of air going through the plastic intake. These 4.0 245 cubic inch engines are moving quite a bit air CFM. You may think that this is a vacuum leak. Unplug a vacuum line for a few seconds and you will hear the difference and it will run rough too.
4.0 SOHC Engine Specifications
I just went out for 5 minutes to crank it up and came back inside at 7 p.m. It's been sitting cold for 2 hours @26 degrees F, feels like 18 F. I started it and idled at 1200. I'm very happy with the results.
Link to post with picture of the '97 in it
My Wife's 1997 V-6 4.0 SOHC 4DR 2WD Explorer

-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: At 3:50 Central Time this morning it was 20 degrees F with a "feels like" temp of 10 degrees. I primed it two times and it started on the 2nd try. It immediately ran at 1300 RPMs without the RPMs jumping up to 2200 plus. The intake gaskets were probably 21 years old however the cracked rubber piece had to affect it too. The Wife is on her way to work in it, a 40 mile trip. She has to clock in at 5 a.m. The company that she works for makes weatherstripping for ,Tesla, Mercedes, Audi, and Freightliner to name a few. The Tesla people are coming today. Word is they are trying to put together a lot of vehicles in a hurry. They better hurry because FoMoCo and VW teaimng up will no doubt have an influence on the Electric Car Industry.
:dpchug:

Added:Tuesday Jan 22nd Update-Engine is performing well and CEL has not come on. It's doing well on the near extreme cold temps that we are having. I know some of you are having a lot colder weather than we do down here. I've moved as far north as I ever will.

Great write-up! I have done the job a couple times... you have done a nice job of articulating the various intricacies.

Update Wed Jan 23rd 6:25 p.m.
The '97 has been running well however this evening my Wife told me that the CEL came on this morning and stayed on. I went out to the vehicle and only one DTC was present. P0446. I cleared it and started it up and ran it for about 2 minutes, revved it lightly and the CEL didn't come back on. I didn't drive it down the road though.
I have read a little about P0446 and I'm wondering if I disturbed something during the intake gasket fix or now that I fixed it and the vacuum leaks fixed, now the engine vacuum is way more stable, so other little things are going to pop up.
I'll give it another day and let her drive it another 80 mile round trip. In the mean time I can study about P0446 and related codes more.

You know that little unit on the passenger side of the upper intake manifold, I would check that and make sure it is plugged in properly. It's towards the firewall and hard to get to. The EVAP system on that model has about three mechanical control points (valves or solenoids). One at canister, one under the battery, and the one I mentioned above. Just a thought.

Yes, and that looks like the RA part that popped up in a search. I removed the 2 bracket screws from the intake instead of unplugging the vacuum line and small wiring harness. I will check that in the morning and hopefully the flood will be past by then. it's headed east, y'alls way.

Thursday morning update: This morning I started the Blue '97 V-6 for my Wife at 5:45 a.m. The CEL did not come on and then She drove 40 miles and it still did not come on. I'm keeping an eye and ear on it.
The link below is to a PCM question that I had last night.
1997 4.0 SOHC PCM Swap

Sounds like you are good. MIL takes two run cycles to set a code. Good job.

You know that little unit on the passenger side of the upper intake manifold, I would check that and make sure it is plugged in properly. It's towards the firewall and hard to get to. The EVAP system on that model has about three mechanical control points (valves or solenoids). One at canister, one under the battery, and the one I mentioned above. Just a thought...
Update: Friday 2-15-19. The truck has been running well and late yesterday I was able to swap the EVAP system part that drdoom was referring to from the white '97 to the blue one. I don't know what you call it exactly and for some reason I can't find it on RA or EBAY. It's not the Vacuum cannister purge valve or the EGR Control Valve Solenoid. Mine has two pair of vacuum lines that plug onto it and two twin electrical connectors, however it seems to be fixed for now and I have the other underhood part that I can use if P0446 comes back. I know that it sounds partially like a parts swapping diagnosis but "it is what it is".
ADDED- If the EGR control valve solenoid is the part bolted to the intake manifold on the RH side, this is not the problem...

Is the Vacuum cannister purge valve located under the battery tray?

I am thinking it is on the charcoal canister above the spare tire, but I could be wrong, it has been a long time since I was in there. I had a code and checked the solenoid under the battery, but it was fine. The problem ended up being filthy mice had chewed all the wires off the canister purge valve. I would look there first.

What is the 2nd solenoid on the bracket on the RH side of the manifold? It also has a double vacuum line and a two pin electrical connector

I am thinking it is on the charcoal canister above the spare tire, but I could be wrong, it has been a long time since I was in there. I had a code and checked the solenoid under the battery, but it was fine. The problem ended up being filthy mice had chewed all the wires off the canister purge valve. I would look there first.
I looked it up in my manual, and I believe what I posted above is backwards...according to the schematic the canister purge valve is under the battery, and the canister vent solenoid is on the charcoal canister.

I'm going to swap the valve under the battery with the one off of the white truck but what I think it might be is the one at the rear of the vehicle may need to be cleaned. It could be full of road dirt.

Check your fuel cap first.

Update: P0174. A few months ago I was working on this condition at the same time I was working on the chains and intake etc removal on the white '97. I borrowed a solenoid of off the white one to put on the blue one. For some reason Think there was a phillips screwdriver involved and many of you may remember I had lost a screwdriver and the tensioner off of the white '97. I found the screwdriver and I dont know how many times I have had the hood open on the blue one. But Thursday I found it under the hood of the blue one when We used it to jump start the Mountaineer.
Sunday we had the hatch of the Mountaineer open during yard work and ran the battery down. All windows are down.
Early Monday morning before sun up I was up coughing/choking with allergy bronchitis, I'm highly allergic.Coughing the worst of the spring season.
I noticed the right side of my face felt numb, I thought maybe a spider bite. also right fingers tingling, I thought I had a pinched nerve in my shoulder from a recent shoulder injury.
Day break I got up with my wife. She was loading the coffee pot and talking to me and I couldn't talk back. She asked "what is wrong with you?" I mumbled "I don't know" then she said "We are going to the hospital right now"
We got down to Huntsville Hospital ER pulled up told them I may be having a stroke. They got me in there quick. A stroke team jumped on me quick. I went for a CT scan, an MRI a CT with contrast, a lung xray later for the Bronchitis No pneumonia thank God. My speech is real messed up but I can walk and use my arms and hands. My left carotid artery is totally blocked. Right 60 %. Memory good. Aware of what is going. Extremely concerned about the future. Wife is doing everything she can for me. I'm wondering what work is going to be like. I am a self employed Antique Automobile Restorer. Very hot sometimes where I work. One day at a time right now.....

:(

@allmyEXes - Very sorry to hear of your misfortune. Do they plan to do anything (like a stint or balloon) to get your artery opened up? I hope you can return to full functionality, but it must be very scary not knowing what to expect.

I'm in my 70's now and have some health problems. I worry about having a stroke, but I figure none of us is promised tomorrow. Live for today. I've already outlived many of my friends and coworkers.

Get well soon.

They may never be anything that they can do with the left carotid. Dr said the risk of making something else come loose and moving is very high. But I go to se him in 3 mos for a visit and probably ultrasound of both left and right and discus wat to do with or to it. apparently
I have some compensating blood flow going on. I've been trying to read a little about it however don't wont to dwell on it too much. I have a small "drug store" going on, on the shelf in the kitchen. Then trying to figure out what I can eat. It turns out most of everything can be bad for humans. Now I'm concerned about our outdoor dog who eats most of the old leftovers.:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back