Time for tires | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes. The speedo may be a little off now (~1.5%=Speedo says 60 I am probably going 61) but as long as they fit and can handle the GVWR then all is good.

Mine are gloss black instead of the gunmetal gray. FYI, the gloss black ones have been disco'd. They scrounged to find me a set. Note that mine are the 46mm offset instead of these which are showing 0 for the offset. 45mm offset is the stock offset.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/american-racing-vn215-classic-torq-thrust-ii-1-pc/p/56374

https://images.iconfigurators.com/i...achined-Lip_18850_5482_420_960_20.00_5482.png
Apparently you can adjust the tire size using Forscan to select predetermined sizes. This was mentioned some time ago by jmr061 I believe. That will allow the other OEM programmed modules, such as ABS, to get the correct info for their operation.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apparently you can adjust the tire size using Forscan to select predetermined sizes. This was mentioned some time ago by jmr061 I believe. That will allow the other OEM programmed modules, such as ABS, to get the correct info for their operation.

Peter

Good to know. Seeing as it is still new and under warranty, I don't want to get creative and risk bricking something. Now, once the warranty expires...

Next time I am feeling particularly masochistic (I really hate going to the the dealers) and decide to take it in, I'll have them set it. The tire size I used is an OEM stock size so there should be a preset for them.

My 2017 Explorer Limited is close to 30.000 miles and my tread is down to 4/32. So I have to change probably tires next year.

Can someone recommend a better alternative to the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2? Which tire is best in class for a large SUV? I also just bought Blizzarks for the winter. So snow/cold weather performance is secondary for me.

Picked up a set of Defenders during the 1/1 Costco online deal. 25% off!

Cooper Discoverer SRX tires Question

Has anyone tried the newer Cooper Discoverer SRX tires on the 5th gen Explorer?

I've got 2 tires near now on wear bars and I had put Michelin Premier LTX tires on it last time. Only got 40K out of these 2 - I didn't rotate frequently enough.

Anyway shopping for the new ones - thinking about sticking with the michelin's but also looking at pirelli scorpion verde. And looking into the new coopers since they are now made in America

I see a number of reviews that are slightly negative and a number of comments on noise. I found the hankooks noisy so I'm curious.

Thank you

Bump - so nobody on this forum has tired these tires? They've been out for a while now

Stick with Michelin, but this time get the Defender LTX M/S tires. They are quiet, grip very well in wet weather and have much better tread life than the Premier LTX tires.

Stick with Michelin, but this time get the Defender LTX M/S tires. They are quiet, grip very well in wet weather and have much better tread life than the Premier LTX tires.
These are the ones I have on my Ex. Been through a few snow and ice storms since December and they performed very well.

I have another model Coopers on another SUV and I am extremely pleased with them. Very good traction and wear. I was looking at the SRX as well for their V-speed rating. Michelins are overpriced marketing hoopla in my opinion--a good tire, but not worth the $$$ they ask. Unfortunately, we are kinda stuck with an oddball size unless you want to go up or down a couple of sizes. 275/45R20 becomes much cheaper tires as they are also used on F-150s.

ANY TIRE, when not rotated and kept properly inflated, will wear out more quickly on a large heavy "FWD-biased" vehicle.

The Michelin Defenders are about $21 more per tire for the 20" size than the Coopers. I'd say for $84 more total go with the Michelins. They are more of a truck tire so i think they'll have similar tread life to the LTX M/S2 tires that everyone seems to rave about. I have the Defenders and they're quiet and provide a comfortable ride, though steering response is a little muted compared to the Hankooks.

Has anyone tried the newer Cooper Discoverer SRX tires on the 5th gen Explorer?

I've got 2 tires near now on wear bars and I had put Michelin Premier LTX tires on it last time. Only got 40K out of these 2 - I didn't rotate frequently enough.

Anyway shopping for the new ones - thinking about sticking with the michelin's but also looking at pirelli scorpion verde. And looking into the new coopers since they are now made in America

I see a number of reviews that are slightly negative and a number of comments on noise. I found the hankooks noisy so I'm curious.

Thank you

I currently have the Coopers on my 2015 Limited. They are noisy. The tread is fine and I've rotated every 5000

Just got my explorer sport last August so sill on stock tires but when I need tires I plan on getting BFGoorich Advantage TA Sport Lt tires, I had them on my 2011 GMC Sierra with 20" wheels and they were the best all season tires in snow that I have had yet.

I was giving that a think. I like the way the premier's handle though. and Supposedly I'd get another 20K out of them if I could get rotating them more often.

I read an article recently that had the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 rated as the best Winter tire, even compared against the Michelin.

You can read some of the customer reviews here; https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Cooper&tireModel=Discoverer+SRX
Another member asked the same question in the "Time for Tires" thread and did not receive a reply.

Peter

I did read them but some are vague and many are for different vehicles - so I wanted to see what other explorer owners are on now.

I have another model Coopers on another SUV and I am extremely pleased with them. Very good traction and wear. I was looking at the SRX as well for their V-speed rating. Michelins are overpriced marketing hoopla in my opinion--a good tire, but not worth the $$$ they ask. Unfortunately, we are kinda stuck with an oddball size unless you want to go up or down a couple of sizes. 275/45R20 becomes much cheaper tires as they are also used on F-150s.

ANY TIRE, when not rotated and kept properly inflated, will wear out more quickly on a large heavy "FWD-biased" vehicle.

OH I blame myself mostly. Meanwhile I will say that often the michelin tire does perform well if not better and often has a quite presence. But I always shop around. I don't run them on my daily driver pontiac - because for the cost I can get that performance out of another cheaper tire.

ALso I notice more and more of the new SUV/CUV uses this size tire - it's the tire size on the new jag and landrovers for example.

Just got my explorer sport last August so sill on stock tires but when I need tires I plan on getting BFGoorich Advantage TA Sport Lt tires, I had them on my 2011 GMC Sierra with 20" wheels and they were the best all season tires in snow that I have had yet.

I'll look that up too thank you.

Sooo I usually only mess with the electronics of vehicles and dont know much of anything on mechanical type stuff. Its time for new tires and I never was happy with the OEM tires I have with how I drove and the surfaces I drive on. I am looking for more of a off road type tire that will handle better with some mud but also decent with pavement. Nothing too major but something beefier. Any suggestions would be great!! I have a 2015 explorer base model 4wd. I cant think of the tire size at the moment but will add that when I can get to the vehicle.

Sooo I usually only mess with the electronics of vehicles and dont know much of anything on mechanical type stuff. Its time for new tires and I never was happy with the OEM tires I have with how I drove and the surfaces I drive on. I am looking for more of a off road type tire that will handle better with some mud but also decent with pavement. Nothing too major but something beefier. Any suggestions would be great!! I have a 2015 explorer base model 4wd. I cant think of the tire size at the moment but will add that when I can get to the vehicle.
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature. You may also be interested in; All Terrain Tires
I'm guessing your tires are 245/60R18.

Peter

FIgured I'd update this.

So today I finally melted the plastic for new tires. If you would have told me 10 years ago I'd pay over 1000 dollars for 4 tires I'd have thought you were crazy.

anyway - Went with MIchelin Defender LTX this time - over the Premiers. SInce I didn't get good wear out of the premiers and the Defenders get better ratings. under 7 miles with them and I can say they are a touch louder- I will check again when they get some wear on them as it's not a fair test.

But I do have a decibel meter. when I say a touch louder I mean 1.5-1.9 Db louder. Not much in the scheme of things - I bet I'll be the only one that notices.

When I get some wear on them I'll report back. SO far though steering is a touch more sluggish than the Premier I sort of expected that with the tread - and I bet I take a light MPG hit. Again though until I put say 50 miles on them I don't think it's a fair test case. Need to get a bit of wear off the top before you are really on the tires.

At least for most common car tires.

More importantly - Discount tire 227 per - with 2 rebates. Now they claim I might not get them both. But 10% from discount tire and 70 dollars from michelin. so we will see. that's 177 dollars back supposedly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

......But I do have a decibel meter. when I say a touch louder I mean 1.5-1.9 Db louder. Not much in the scheme of things - I bet I'll be the only one that notices.
I believe several members have noted that.

Peter

Back