Tracking down vibration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tracking down vibration

Reaction score
City, State
`Caneyville kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLS
My 2002 Explorer has a vibration that starts at 60 mph and smooths out at around 70mph. I can’t tell if it’s coming from the front or rear. Wife says rear. I’ve replaced all wheel bearings. It’s been doing this for about two years now and doesn’t seem to be getting any worse. I have noticed the front tires are starting to cup slightly on the insides. I’ve always thought it felt like a bent rim but tire rotation doesn’t make it feel like it’s changed to a different location. I was thinking I could jack it up and put the frame on blocks and put it under power and check it for noise or vibration but with it being 4x4 auto would I be able to do this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

-wheel balance
-ball joints
-tie rods

Had a bad vibration in another vehicle with fairly new tires above 50mph. Right before Christmas road trip took it in and each tire was 1.5 ounces off. After that it was wonderfully smooth.

Cupping on front tires, shocks and or alignment is typical.

Shake in the seat is rear, if felt in the steering wheel, then front.

also...if shake is felt thru the steering wheel.....check p/s fluid level as well.....racks tend to shudder if not kept topped up...

It's not really felt in either the steering wheel nor the seat. It's pretty much the entire vehicle. I've been trying to track this down for two years now, I haven't tried putting it up on blocks and putting it in drive yet but it sounds like a good way to find it to me. I've done this on other vehicles but none with 4x4 auto. If I put it in 4x4 high it should be ok to check it this way, shouldn't it?

should be fine....done that many...MANY times

Back