BootyDo

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited V8
Hi All,
I know this is silly but need to post this once and for all:

Has anyone else had a difficult time checking their oil level on the 4.6L from the 4th Generation? I know it takes 6 quarts when draining and swapping the filter, but even after letting everything drain for 20 minutes or so, (on a warm engine), I consistently pull my dipstick and it reads as too high. Like always.

Does this happen to anyone else? Just a weird quirk that's bothered me over the years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure you have the correct dipstick? This has happened to other members in the past. I’d change the oil, and then remark the stick where you know it’s the correct 6 quart level.

Got an 07 4.6. I've changed my oil many times. Dipstick always reads correctly. I'd explore what MBrooks mentioned.

Thanks guys! I've never had my truck into a mechanic for an oil change, but I also didn't buy this thing new. For the price, I think it's worth just buying a new one and going from there. Always makes me feel uneasy.

Thanks!

Nope, mine reads correctly every time. Very easy to see the effect of adding 1/2 qt or so.

Back