2019 EF Moab run May 13-19 Discussion thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2019 EF Moab run May 13-19 Discussion thread

Albino 94LTD

Recovering from Moab 2016
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
White 94 Limited
Callsign
KG7PKQ
Hello everybody!

I mentioned the date to Rick a while back and he said none had been set yet so,,,,.

This date works for one of the NW guys that has to put in his vacation a whole year in advance so that's what we picked.

We will be leaving the Puget Sound area on the 11th arriving the evening of the 12th. We will run trails all week culminating with the 'official' EF run the weekend of the 17th-19th.

Post up and lets get this party started!!

Going from the PNW;
JrGaylor - Joe
Diff Whack Daddy - Kevin
Me
Dwight (white jeep guy)
Setinu - Jim Carey
Jeff Panek - (4Runner)

From other parts of the country;
Rick Horwitz

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you plan on staying in Moab better get your reservations quick because as it is Kevin and Myself had to get space at 2 different RV parks.

I just made my reservations for May 16 - 20 :chug: Our reservations are at the KOA.

I am a maybe i will make my reservations tomorrow. That is the same week that rally on the rocks is. Guessing probably going to be a lot of side by sides there for that.

Summer classes begin May 13th for me, however, I will keep a keen eye on this thread and see if things work out for the best :)

I hope you didn't book at Slickrock Campground - that place is a disaster. Low water pressure, showers that would run cold at random, low hanging branches, and electrical brownouts was our experience last September.

edit: Looks like I may be in town after all! Nothing but big plans for the rig this summer hopefully I can make it to one of these meets!

I wish I would have been checking the forums more often this winter. I fly back home March 20th and will miss this by a couple days. I should have booked a week earlier :( Nothing but big plans for the rig this summer hopefully I can make it to one of these meets!
If you get back in March, you have almost 2 months before the run. It's in May (or was that a typo?)

If you get back in March, you have almost 2 months before the run. It's in May (or was that a typo?)
I was surfing the forum on my phone. Disregard looks like I will be around after all.

Do you have a list of trails that you are going to run? Just curious how difficult and if I can even run with you all.

In years past there were enough participants to have several groups running wide variety of trails

Do you have a list of trails that you are going to run? Just curious how difficult and if I can even run with you all.

If my Exploder isn't up to par I may just drive my Galaxie which would put me on lighter trails (Chicken Corner - Shafer - Onion Creek, etc..)

I will be putting in for 16th to the 19th off and am all for some of the more moderate trails and camping. My rig is my daily driver so I have to be able to drive back to work on Monday :laugh:

It has been forever since Ive done Moab am looking forward to being on the driver side of things for once.

It would be cool to see some kind of rough agenda or route we can shoot for for the "Official" days at least.

The trails and agenda are usually set either at dinner the night before or at the market in the morning.

I like to start with 7 Mile Rim as a warm up but that would be Monday.

Others to consider;
Top of the World
Elephant Hill this is a National Park so NO DOGS, even IN the rig :-(
Strike Ravine
Kane Creek (Hamburger HIll is or can be pretty tough)
Of course no Moab Trip in complete without playing in the Hells Revenge/Fins and Things area
Metal Masher (love that trail)
Steel bender
Moab Rim (the Z turn is the toughest part of this trail)
Possible is the trifecta of Poison Spider Measa/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim and the Golden Crack. This is a VERY long day.
Cliff Hanger

I did run Bull Canyon one year and that was really mild but an interesting view (or maybe it was Hey Joe Canyon)

Considering I need to drive mine home 1100 miles, I need to keep reminding my self that while on the trails. No questionable driving like my avitar

I would be interested in this event, never been to moab or to any EF event before. Any recommendations as to were to get a place to stay? Also would hope my xlt is good enough for some trails, currently on 35" 4.56 with just a rear lsd

Wonder if @Brian1 is going, maybe hell be able to give me some advise

IIRC, the first time I went to Moab, I was LS in the back and open in the front on 33's and we ran 7 Mile Rim, Top of the World, Metal Masher, Steel Bender and Cliff Hanger so I'm sure you will be OK (as long as the LS is tight and in good working order)

I hope @Brian1 will be there!!!

I would be interested in this event, never been to moab or to any EF event before. Any recommendations as to were to get a place to stay? Also would hope my xlt is good enough for some trails, currently on 35" 4.56 with just a rear lsd

Wonder if @Brian1 is going, maybe hell be able to give me some advise

Your first time I would definitely recommend Top of the World. Fins N Things, Hells Revenge and the big 3 are all good options too. I'm sure the guys going will have good suggestions on which trails you would be able to run when you meet each morning.

I hope @Brian1 will be there!!!

Same weekend as Overland Expo in Flagstaff :( Not sure what I'm doing yet but probably will be at the Expo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will have a much better time with us!!

Can you really afford any Overland stuff????

Back