• Register Today It's free!

First time 4WD use this morning

digifoss

Reaction score
City, State
Grants, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Explorer XLT
After owning this Explorer for two months now and having not had a chance to try out the 4WD, this morning brought 6 inches of snow, single digit temperatures and extreme icy roads - a great morning to get a feel for the Explorers 4WD. It couldn't have worked any better. I have a steep drive way, exiting is all uphill and it was all nice and slick this morning so I used the 4Low out of my place and down to the first stop at about 20mph, then switched to 4Hi to run my errands, all worked great. I notice a little single thump when going in or out of 4Low. while stopped, in neutral with the brake pedal pressed. It sounds like something normal, hope it is but it works great. 4Hi is really all thats necessary so I don't see 4Low getting used much. Going in or out of 4Hi while moving is undetectable except for the "4x4" LED that lights up or goes off in the dash panel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd use 4HI, and stay in 4 Auto. 4LO is for really bad conditions and strains the drive train.
In 12 years I have had mine, I use 4Lo just few times.

I finally used 4 low for the first time after 12 years of ownership this past October

Even if you don’t use it, I’d exercise the shift motor at least twice a year.

All useful answers, thanks for the replies. My 95 Suburban also has 4Hi and 4Lo. I have used the 4Lo once that I can remember in 12 years. As for the Explorer, having 4Lo is a nice option if there was ever any need for it. I only used it yesterday because I wanted to know whether it worked or not. Going forward, the only use 4Lo will probably get is to engage it once in a while to keep it in working order as Mr Brooks said.

One thing that I have noticed living in Alaska is that 4lo is great for super snowy situations where traction or passability is extremely limited, but it seems to take a real strain on the entire system even if used sparingly.
We use 4lo 3-4 times a year during the winter and the drivetrain and especially front wheel setups always seem extra stressed from 4lo.

If there is plenty of slip 4 Low shouldn’t really cause any real stress over 4wd HIGH. It’s also much easier on the transmission.

If there is plenty of slip 4 Low shouldn’t really cause any real stress over 4wd HIGH. It’s also much easier on the transmission.

4Lo is less stressful on the engine and trans, it multiplies the torque by what, 2.5 times. It's also a good way to test the rev limiter if the trans will shift that high. Make a good video too wouldn't it, show the tach climb really quick, do it on ice and the speed would too.

I hope I haven't given anyone any bad ideas.:eek:

Back