2020 Explorer - Is It a Real 4x4 ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer - Is It a Real 4x4 ?

JacobZ06

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Platinum
I am wondering if the new platform with RWD will revert back to a conventional driveline, with transfer case and 2H, 4Hi & 4Lo operating modes. Or will it be another AWD design where you have no ability to select 4WD when required ?

Jacob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know, the answer to your questions are NO to the former and YES to the latter.

Peter

There is no 2wd/4wd button. Just the drive modes. It will be rwd with awd automatically kicking in when it detects slippage.

I'm not sure what you mean by "no ability to select 4wd when needed". It will automatically go to all 4 wheels faster then you will even know that it was/is needed.

He means 50/50 lockup like a traditional four wheel drive, not a permanent electric controlled AWD.

He means 50/50 lockup like a traditional four wheel drive, not a permanent electric controlled AWD.

Isn't that already achievable in the 5th gens with mud mode standing in for 4 Lo and sand mode for 4 Hi?

Or 50/50 lockup you mean a locking differential?

Isn't that already achievable in the 5th gens with mud mode standing in for 4 Lo and sand mode for 4 Hi?

Or 50/50 lockup you mean a locking differential?

There is no 4 low in the 5th gen... there is no multi speed transfer case.

50/50 lockup means both axles are locked together. “1” is not low.

I read somewhere they will have a true front axle disconnect. The last Explorer to have that is my 1996!

Why would it have an axle disconnect if it’s AWD?

It's the new intelligent AWD system. SO no transfer case like a truck, and no selectable buttons. But there are selectable modes. so similar idea.

Viscous coupled system allows it to run with the front "free wheeling" most of the time and RWD until there is any indication of wheel slip. It can then apply the front axle as needed and in variable form. Think 20/80; or 32/68 etc front to rear split as needed up to 50/50. Not really sure it will go beyond that. In the mean time Stability assist (advanc trac) is keeping the car on it's intended back regardless of the AWD split.

The sport model is most likely tuned a little differently in that it probably migrates to 50/50 quicker and for more of the time. but that's a guess on my part since it has so much more torque. But I believe the bigger thing here is that all the driveline hardware is the same between AWD standard, the Sport and presumably the PIU.

Back