• Register Today It's free!

Towing with V8 versus V6

stuckonrangers

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘11 Ranger Sport 4.0
I have a 2011 Ranger 4dr SuperCab 4.0L with Class III Facktory Tow Package. Auto trans with trans cooler. Current 82,000 miles in perfect running condition. Bought 12/17 with 59,000 - was sold 2x previously as Ford Certified Used - all maintenance by the book. Last trans fluid and filter change at 80,000 - filter was not heavy, pan was remarkably clean, fluid still bright red, very little tiny metal on the magnet. I’m inclined to believe it was just changed before I bought it. I tow a 2017 GulfStream 18’ TT - dry weight 2600 lbs. most trips are to Florida and east Texas. On flat road truck pulls it fine. My concern is sustained RPM on long distance trips. We do Orlando once a year and I have OD off and don’t exceed 60 MPH to keep RPM’s around 2500. Considering an Explorer Sport Trac with a V8 so I can tow with less effort and maybe go a little faster. Also will need to upgrade due to growing 9 year old that doesn’t fit as easily in the middle anymore. This is my 4th Ranger, LOVE them. The 4.0L has been a trouble free engine on this one and my 2005 STX SprCab which I sold with 214k on it to upgrade to a 2011. Love the 4 wheel disc brakes on the ‘11.
I don’t see many V8’s on the market, would prefer the ‘07-‘10 years due to age of all systems.
What improvement would I see in towing based on all I described?

4104E379-EEE7-45CC-A41C-F858315FBF33.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Biggest towing problem with the sport trac is the IRS so the biggest killer is weight. The ranger still has a solid back axle. 2600lbs would town fine behind a v8 though. The six speed transmission and increase in torque and power would probably be a bit more friendly towing. I pull a bit heavier hybrid (around 3500lbs) with the V6 and keep my speed ball park the same as you. The main thing that sucks is the square footage of my trailer front is like a giant wind sock. any head wind at all and you sure feel it with a little truck.

Thanks for the reply. Based on what you are telling me about the IRS on 2007+ Sport Tracs, going from a 4.0L Ranger with Class III to a 4.0L Sport Trac may be a downgrade due to handling and curb weight of the sport trac. I haven’t checked it, but I’m assuming it’s hevier that the Ranger.
I wonder what mods I could do to squeeze a few more hp out of the 4.0L? Nothing elaborate like a supercharger.

I think the weight between the two wouldn’t be a huge leap. I think the V8 would pull better, and if your trailer is set up right towing with IRS isn’t a problem, especially with the weight you’d have.

F150 sounds perfect for you, have you considered it?

The 4.0l is pretty much maxed. I mean, they already squeezed more power out of the OHV by moving the cams, and putting peak power at higher RPM. I think the extra power and the extra gear of the V8 would make a difference on the wind resistance, that's the biggest killer. The aerodynamics of towing a giant brick down the highway with another giant brick. On a side note, a load leveler makes a night and day difference when towing with mine. First thing I bought when I bought the trailer.

FYI, when shopping, know that 2009-2010 V8 Sport Trac's didn't come with the V8 emblem on the fender.

V8 Sport Trac 2WD is rated to tow 7160. 4X4 lowers that a bit to 7,000.

In other words, a V8 Sport Trac can effortlessly tow your Ranger while towing your trailer.

I towed a 19ft hybrid with a 2001 sport trac (v6), as mentioned doesn't cut it uphills..
got an '07 4.6 limited, and it does a much better job (very noticeable the extra ~100hp)
probably still somewhat underpowered, speeds do need to be kept lower, mileage halves...

Back