Removing plastic trim around steering whel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing plastic trim around steering whel

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Fellows. I need to gain access to the turn signal switch wiring on the column.

I've watch some You tube Vids and they make it look real simple. I removed the 3 screws got the plastic halves separated but for the life of me can not remove the trim. Its got tilt-wheel lever and I geuss that lever will unscrew (haven't tried that) . I've lifted the coluum up, down and all around.

Perhaps I need to be a bit more aggressive but Im concerned about breaking these plastic parts.

Do I have to pull the dash out some to get the upper half of the coluum trim out? Hope not.
Thanks,
ptf18

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IDK if the '02 is the same as the '01, but I've had my steering column trim off to replace the rubber boot for the shifter handle. IIRC I just removed the 3 screws from the bottom and removed the top half. It required a little finagling, but nothing major. If necessary you can unscrew the tilt lever and remove it. I think there are some flats on the shaft where you can use a small adjustable wrench on it if you can't do it by hand.

I think you have to unscrew the tilt lever. Removing the dash is more involved than it should be, and I don't think it would help getting that trim off. As I recall, unscrewing the tilt lever allows the upper trim to slide toward the wheel enough to get it off.

Thanks Fellows. I made another attempt yesterday.... with a GOOD attitude.... Still can not not get the trim pieces off. I tried unscrewing the tilt lever and that just gave me the "funny" look and didn't budge.

The "issue" I'm having (common problem) is that with the tilt steering down the R/H turn signal blinks like crazy. I've had this same "issue" previously. Back whenever I gained access to the signal terminal connector and safety wired its 1/2's together. From what I understand the connector 1/2's "wiggle" apart after some time, make an open circuit for the R/H turn signal (like a burnt out bulb would) and thus you get the "crazy blinker.

I think I'm going to pull the dash out......

When you get access to the connector, which is near the top of the steering column, you'll find the wiring harness doesn't have much slack in it. Near the bottom of the steering column the harness is taped tightly to the column, a brace, or something down there. Carefully cut the tape to gain the extra length the wiring harness needs so you can use the tilt feature without issue. The harness is long enough, they just taped it in place with the top portion tight and unable to move, with the slack below the column where it does no good.

429CJ.... A big Thank you for that info..... Do you know if you can access the problem tape from underneath the dash/steering column? OR do you have to remove the trim (I'm having a problem with) in order to get to the tape?

The tape you need to cut is toward the bottom of the steering column nearer the floor, so you'll access it from under the dash, not through it. Gaining access to the connector you need to repair does require removing the trim you're having trouble with.

Back