Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
At times we all have to purchase tires, new or used or even purchase a used vehicle with used tires on them. It may not be known to many that you can determine the "age" of the tires. On every tire there is a 4 digit "date code". On the Wranglers on my '97, at the end of all the information starting with the tire size through load rating etc, there is an oval section with 4 digits in it. Mine reads "0915". That is the 9th week of 2015. If yours were to read "0108" I would say you might want to buy some new tires. Generally the safe life of rubber is 5 years.
If you notice in the heading "Tech Tip of the week 3318", that is the 33rd week of 2018. I'm using a tire date code.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great tip. If stored inside I would think the usable life would be a fair bit more.

Yes, if the tires are stored inside when not in use they will last longer, same thing if your truck is mostly parked in the shade or garage.

However, I would not advise to change your tires only because they are past a certain age. Modern tires resist deterioration way longer on average, mostly in part to the advance in compounds. Of course if your truck sits in the desert sun or is regularly submited to rough terrain (rock abrasion) then the lifespan will be affected. As always, inspection and good judgement supersedes predetermined spoil dates ;)

Suggestion for the tech tip titles, it would be beneficial to add the subject : For instance
Tech Tip of the Week 3318 : How to tell the age of your tires

maybe in Canada they last longer
From Michelin:
A few milestones and tips:
1- Keep five years in mind

After five years or more in use, your tires should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year by a professional.

2- Ten years is a maximum
If the tires haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tires. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator.
This applies to spare tires as well.

3- Proper care expands a tire’s lifespan
You can increase your tire's longevity by maintaining the correct air pressure, performing regular tire rotations and vehicle maintenance.

Check our Scheduled care tips
For original equipment: follow the vehicle manufacturer’s tire replacement recommendations.

How to check the manufacturing date
Look for the DOT number on your sidewall.

Do I need new tires? | When to change tires | Michelin US

Ha! I wish

We don't have as much sun as the southern states, but we have harsh winters, road abrasives and beautiful backroads :)

This morning while I was under "MO" the 5.0 checking the gear oil and installing the receiver hitch, I took a close look at my Wranglers. They have about 11,000 miles on them since buying them new. I looked at the date code and they are exactly 52 weeks old. Last year when I ordered them from an online discount tire outlet, the Goodyear P23575R15s cost $308 for 4 of them delivered to my back porch. I had them in 21 hours from the time that I ordered and I read the date codes on them and they all matched and were two weeks new. I could smell new rubber from 10 meters away.

maybe in Canada they last longer
From Michelin:

After five years or more in use, your tires should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year by a professional.

If the tires haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tires. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator.
This applies to spare tires as well.

I understand they recommend as a precaution and even so, only after 10 years. I'm only saying don't waste ressources and money simply because your tires are 8 years old, that's only one of the variables of deterioration.

your thinking about it too hard and I did say might...read the Michelin info
better safe than sorry

Yes, you did say “might” but you also implied that tires were not safe after 5 years...

But what it "boils" down to... Tire condition is the responsibility of the vehicle owner.

I don't trust a tire after 5 years. Tread separation will cost more to repair the damage it caused than to replace the tire.

Tires surely last more than 5 years. I typically wear a set out in 2, but wouldn’t have qualms running on ire’s that were 6-7 years old as long as they weren’t cracking.

RV tires typically see service longer than 10 years, and they often sit long periods of time, and see loads far exceeding anything a typical passenger car would see.

Depends on where you live, anything rubber or plastic is the first to rot off my cars here in Phoenix. The tires on my jeep are 3 years old and the rubber is already cracked in the tread grooves. The suspension bushings have been replaced twice.

Back