Pursuit mode | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pursuit mode

The way I have been taught as well as experienced using pursuit mode at work.....it adapts to how it is driven. It is hard to explain but when we push the cars at work, its done in ways you would never do to your own vehicle and will adapt to that driver over time. Enough time may have passed from when it was driven in this manner that caused it to "learn its new driver". It is also worth noting that the vehicle now has significantly less weight in it.....SIGNIFICANTLY. For ***** and giggles I wonder if throwing a crazy amount of weight in would cause it to kick in.....

I was told but never confirmed that we were able to turn it on and off using the dash options.

The first time I got to drive a patrol car with pursuit mode on it, it scared the **** out of me when it downshifted for me.....I understand the desire to use it....hope this information somehow helps!

Thanks for the info. As far as pushing the vehicle, I have and continue to push the vehicle at times (in a closed environment) far beyond what would cause this mode to activate. Since my last writing, I have gotten the vehicle to activate twice now when engaging in a sharp right turn while accelerating. That is the ONLY time the mode will activate. Like I mentioned, I have really pushed this vehicle at an attempt to make it turn on. Applying full force to the breaks at 80 mph and then full throttle will not even activate it. Just prior to taking this vehicle to Ford there was never any issues with the mode activating. My trunk is loaded with weight and even has a full size safe in the back, which has not changed since I brought the vehicle into ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info. As far as pushing the vehicle, I have and continue to push the vehicle at times (in a closed environment) far beyond what would cause this mode to activate. Since my last writing, I have gotten the vehicle to activate twice now when engaging in a sharp right turn while accelerating. That is the ONLY time the mode will activate. Like I mentioned, I have really pushed this vehicle at an attempt to make it turn on. Applying full force to the breaks at 80 mph and then full throttle will not even activate it. Just prior to taking this vehicle to Ford there was never any issues with the mode activating. My trunk is loaded with weight and even has a full size safe in the back, which has not changed since I brought the vehicle into ford.

Since you were able to get it to activate it leads me to believe it has everything to do with "learning the new driver". I wonder if ford somehow reset the module controlling the system therefore restarting the "learning the new driver" causing it to not activate as much due to not being pushed to the extremes several times a day. Again this is all strictly my experience with using it. It only kicked in while I was going code somewhere and doing excessive breaking and accelerating over and over again for up to 10 minutes.

A buddy of mine is a ford technician, ill run this by him and see if he has any insight.

The way I have been taught as well as experienced using pursuit mode at work.....it adapts to how it is driven. It is hard to explain but when we push the cars at work, its done in ways you would never do to your own vehicle and will adapt to that driver over time. Enough time may have passed from when it was driven in this manner that caused it to "learn its new driver".
The retail unit to some extent does something similar as far as "learning".

Peter

Since you were able to get it to activate it leads me to believe it has everything to do with "learning the new driver". I wonder if ford somehow reset the module controlling the system therefore restarting the "learning the new driver" causing it to not activate as much due to not being pushed to the extremes several times a day. Again this is all strictly my experience with using it. It only kicked in while I was going code somewhere and doing excessive breaking and accelerating over and over again for up to 10 minutes.

A buddy of mine is a ford technician, ill run this by him and see if he has any insight.
Thanks. Again there was no issue with this prior to bring it to Ford.

I did a whole video on pursuit mode

At the time I did not know that aggressive cornering could trigger it, but I have since demonstrated (to myself) that it is indeed true..

I was going to bring mine into the dealer for warranty work before I hit 36k miles but now maybe I wont..

I did a whole video on pursuit mode

At the time I did not know that aggressive cornering could trigger it, but I have since demonstrated (to myself) that it is indeed true..

I was going to bring mine into the dealer for warranty work before I hit 36k miles but now maybe I wont..

What were you bringing it to the dealer for? It would be a shame to lose pursuit mode. It was even worse when I called Ford to complain about no longer having the mode and the response was there is no such thing as a pursuit mode. Even after explaining it to them and them talking with their fleet management, they still claim pursuit mode does no exist.

What were you bringing it to the dealer for?

Both my rear D pillar covers are cracked in the same spot at the top
The car creaks when you pull out of a driveway like it's falling apart
The steering wheel makes noises when you turn it, especially when it's cold.
The rubber strip on the rain gutter is lifting off
The rubber seals at the base of the windows are buckling
Needs the rear link recall done
The seal along the door edges are worn and ripped
The paint is wearing through where the seals contact because the chassis flexes so much
The gas door rubs the body (also wearing the paint out)
Service the PTU, though I may do this myself.

All this with 34k highway miles. Ford build quality is awesome.

I believe members have posted that in order to replace the 'D' pillars, you have to take out the rear side windows. Several have just left them as they are. Others have had issues with the rubber door seals as well and it seems to be an easy job to replace them.

Peter

Did you have a chance to speak with the Ford technician about this?

Ford build quality is awesome.

Yeah, it's none too impressive. My 1996 Explorer Sport was MUCH better screwed together than this one. I don't (as yet) have any real complaints (well, maybe the hood flutter which seems to have improved), but overall the feel is kinda cheap.

The criteria to enter pursuit mode has been significantly reduced basically making it useless IMO on the updated pcm calibrations due to complaints ford was getting from drivers complaining about their vehicles not driving correctly after inadvertently entering pursuit mode when not intended.

Unfortunately, the ONLY way to get your old pursuit mode back to how it was or should be if you ask me is to reprogram the ecu with the original calibration or get a custom tune to re-enable it correctly.

The criteria to enter pursuit mode has been significantly reduced basically making it useless IMO on the updated pcm calibrations due to complaints ford was getting from drivers complaining about their vehicles not driving correctly after inadvertently entering pursuit mode when not intended.

Unfortunately, the ONLY way to get your old pursuit mode back to how it was or should be if you ask me is to reprogram the ecu with the original calibration or get a custom tune to re-enable it correctly.

Is this true just for civilized units or is Ford also reprograming active duty as well? You would think they should tell customers they are making changes ?!

How did you find this out? So basically it was taken off of my vehicle when I did the recalls???????????????

Both my rear D pillar covers are cracked in the same spot at the top
The car creaks when you pull out of a driveway like it's falling apart
The steering wheel makes noises when you turn it, especially when it's cold.
The rubber strip on the rain gutter is lifting off
The rubber seals at the base of the windows are buckling
Needs the rear link recall done
The seal along the door edges are worn and ripped
The paint is wearing through where the seals contact because the chassis flexes so much
The gas door rubs the body (also wearing the paint out)
Service the PTU, though I may do this myself.

All this with 34k highway miles. Ford build quality is awesome.
Did they fix it all?

Did they fix it all?

I never brought it in... It's such a pain dealing with a dealer. Taking off form work, etc. Now I'm over 36k. I have to see what is covered under Ford's extended warranty I have.

I never brought it in... It's such a pain dealing with a dealer. Taking off form work, etc. Now I'm over 36k. I have to see what is covered under Ford's extended warranty I have.

If you have the top tier plan (premiumcare), it's almost exactly the same as the original bumper to bumper. In fact they have a list what ISN'T covered as it's that comprehensive

Says PremiumCARE 84 month, 100k miles, $100 deductible
I remember them saying that this covered some sort of maintenance that the 3/36 didn't. But I haven't read the details.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Says PremiumCARE 84 month, 100k miles, $100 deductible
I remember them saying that this covered some sort of maintenance that the 3/36 didn't. But I haven't read the details.
From reading your list of issues, I believe the only thing that is covered is the toe link recall which would be done without charge even without the ESP. I had the recall done last week.

Peter

Back