2002 mountaineer- battery drain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 mountaineer- battery drain

chowceal

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mountaineer
i'm getting a 'door ajar' message. i believe it's the back hatch that is causing the message and battery drain. is there a fuse i can pull to test my theory out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is definetly a fuse. But ford likes to use a lot of different fuse panel configurations. I think they have a different one for each color vehicle.
Your owners manual will be the most accurate.

However, on my 2004 explorer and my 2001 Expedtion there is no way to drain the battery with a door ajar. I have kids. Doors get left open, lights get left on ALL THE TIME. THey usually go off by themselves after a while and it has NEVER resulted in a battery drain.

Quite often, what we think is a battery drain turns out ot be a bad battery.

There is definetly a fuse. But ford likes to use a lot of different fuse panel configurations. I think they have a different one for each color vehicle.
Your owners manual will be the most accurate.

However, on my 2004 explorer and my 2001 Expedtion there is no way to drain the battery with a door ajar. I have kids. Doors get left open, lights get left on ALL THE TIME. THey usually go off by themselves after a while and it has NEVER resulted in a battery drain.

Quite often, what we think is a battery drain turns out ot be a bad battery.
unfortunately, i dont have an owners manual. i believe its actually the switch causing the issue. thank you,though

For the side doors, spaying a little WD40 into the lock mechanism often will free up a stuck door sensor switch.

also.....check ya glovebox light switch ain't been damaged......that was a p.i.t.a fo me for about 6 months (and 3 new batteries)

Unless it’s running the dome light a bad switch won’t drain the battery.

First, are you sure your battery and alternator are in proper working order?

You can pull your rear panel and unplug the door ajar switch connector. You might have to use a jumper to make it think it’s closed. I really don’t think this will help anything, but would rule it out for you.

Or-

Unhook the battery.

Connect a multimeter tonthenremoved lead, and to the battery, so the battery cable runs through the meter.

Set to DC amperage. Note the reading.

Pull a fuse at a time and replace. Do until something noticeably drops the current reading. This is your faulty circuit.

I had to replace my 7 pin trailer plug a couple of years ago that was causing battery drain. The electric brake controller light was on without the trailer connected so it was easy to find.

Back