AWD vs 4WD for light/medium offroading | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD vs 4WD for light/medium offroading

CZ Eddie

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007-2010
I googled this topic and found most generic 4x4 sites prefer 4WD vs AWD for offroading.
Since the Sport Trac Adrenalin seems to have AWD instead of 4WD, I was hoping for some "personal experience" posts from those in the know.

Are you taking your AWD Adrenalin's off roading?
Do you find yourself wishing you had 4WD instead?

I've had trucks before but this (whichever Sport Trac I get) will be my first 4x4 with the intent of actually going offroading.
To play with my Cousin and his Jeep.
Nothing super serious.
Probably just a 2-3" lift with larger tires on stock wheels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really don't know much about 4wd/awd but I have a limited 4.6l

it's AWD? and also has control over 4H and 4L
I have got it stuck in snow where it wouldn't move too much, and switched to 4L and walked out of the snow essentially.

So in my opinion the control is required to get true 4WD, don't think the AWD will cut it off roading

AWD is perfectly fine for light off roading. I’m not sure if these are a traditional AWD, or not. I think they are 4wd automatic and use an electromagnetic clutch to send power to the front when slippage is detected.

You need to have a low range choice for off-roading. Even "light" off-roading can bring a surprise mud bog you need to get through. If you are intending this vehicle for off-raid use I would not choose an Adrenalin model anyway. The body cladding will not hold up to bumps and scrapes, and they are are more expensive to purchase as well. I would go with an XLT for your purposes. Mine is an XLT and although I do not really off-road having the low range means I can both get into and out of my steep driveway regardless of weather.

I’ve never needed low to ever deal with ANY kind of weather situation.

I’ve never needed low to ever deal with ANY kind of weather situation.
Trust me, you would to climb my driveway covered with ice... and especially need low to go down it. It is VERY steep, and there is no way to get a running start before attempting to go up it.

I’m certain my AWD Mounty would have zero issues with your driveway.

I’m certain my AWD Mounty would have zero issues with your driveway.
I am 100% certain you would not climb it in AWD.. And again, the problem is going down it and not hitting the neighbors car parked on the road directly across from my driveway... With AWD you have to ride the brakes to lower momentum, but with 4X4 Low I can lock it in low, shift into gear 1, and let it crawl down, never using brakes at all. Can't do that with AWD. My driveway is so steep that my Sport Trac with 17" tires will still drag the chin spoiler when turning off the road onto my driveway unless I go one tire at a time.. You truly do not understand how steep it is. And honestly, anyone that is that over-confident in t\heir ability to drive their vehicles scares the Hell out of me... And for the record, we also do own 1 vehicle that is AWD, but it gets to stay in the garage when our driveway is ice covered. AWD is great in heavy rain and in snow if the roads are relatively flat. I am in Middle TN, and it is not flat anywhere around where I am, nothing but hills to negotiate, so AWD is not overly helpful without an ability to lock it in. I have almost 40 years driving experience, so I am not new at this...

So CZEddie, it is up to, but...

LOL. Okay. Where I live it’s not uncommon to get 3 feet of snow in two days, and is all hills. I never have any issues, including plowing. I’m confident because I have tons and tons of winter driving experience with no real issues.

LOL. Okay. Where I live it’s not uncommon to get 3 feet of snow in two days, and is all hills. I never have any issues, including plowing. I’m confident because I have tons and tons of winter driving experience with no real issues.
Good for you, but snow and ice are VERY different. We see more ice here.. And you just confirmed what I said, AWD is great for SNOW and HEAVY RAIN, but not ice.. which is what I referred to.

As to off-roading, again, take your chances with AWD only... I will enjoy have Low range to pull me through just about anything. Of the people I know that do off-road, none of them use an AWD only vehicle..

4wd is no better on ice than AWD, in fact in actual driving it’s almost surely worse. If your engine braking can handle I’m sure I’d have no issues with in 1 with the ABS. Your tires are the limiting factor, not what’s driving the wheels.

well if we want to brag about our vehicle's abilities, My fiero would also go through a foot of snow no issues.

There are a lot of variables, On the ST I was running 265 18" all seasons, and it got stuck in about a foot of snow (slight incline parked it on the side of the road in dirt base, snow), couldn't get it out in AWD, put it into 4WD low - drove out like there was never an issue.

If you have 4 low you don’t have AWD, you have Automatic 4wd, which isn’t nearly as good.

I stand corrected, my automatic 4WD could not pull out of the snow in a slight incline (had slightly spun it down also trying)

so I decided to do a quick google search, and the OP should read this article
'4WD' or 'AWD'? Which setup is right for you?

and as always, we can take statements to make one technology look better than the other

"AWD isn’t quite as robust as 4WD, and it can’t match the acute power delivery necessary for low-speed off-roading like rock crawling. The maintenance and complexity of these systems can also get extraordinarily expensive, but ensuring they function as intended is crucial to your safety."

"All-wheel drive does have some clear advantages over 4WD, though. These days, computers are involved in most AWD systems. Sensors on each wheel monitor traction, wheel speed, and several other data points hundreds of times per second. An engine control unit (ECU) analyzes traction conditions and decides which wheel receives power. This type of system, usually called torque vectoring, appears on everything from the Subaru WRX to the Dodge Charger."

now a 9 year old truck may not have all the AWD technology mentioned above

The way that article uses the term “limited slip” makes it obvious the guy who wrote it doesn’t understand 4wd systems and how they work.

read-comments-michael-jackson-gif-10966818

if you want to off road a ST i recommend a lockable rear diff. all problems solved. (tru-trac)
if you are going to need clearance that is a different issue. these trucks can only be minimally lifted in the suspension and anything over 2 inch body lift you will need to add a steering column extender. and there is some issues with bumper / bumper cover clearances

@CZ Eddie
I'm sure you've seen this post below, and it's probably a great solution providing you have some technical background
the clearances are the same or close to a regular '07-'10 trac I believe, different spring rates on suspension and body skirting
I would get a set of 18" wheels and tires just to have a little more rubber.

and sort of confirmed below that the "AWD" is the same "auto 4WD", and of course just to make Mbrooks happy the AWD on a 1998 explorer is superior to it's successors

How to convert your 'AWD' Adrenalin to true 4x4

Back