Two 4th Generation Explorers, Same two issues on both | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Two 4th Generation Explorers, Same two issues on both

absentx

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 V8 Limited
Hi everyone,

So I am on my second 4th gen explorer. First one was a 2007 Eddie Bauer V8 and my current one is a 2010 Limited V8.

On each truck I have ran into the same two annoying issues:

1. Very annoying wind noise coming right at the same level as my left ear when driving. Have tried adjusting, pressing on, pushing, messing with the window seal every which way possible to no avail. Has anyone had this issue and figured out a good solution?
  2. Center console both inside of and behind gets really warm while driving. I keep a small tube of ibuprofen gel caps in my center console and it got so warm in there they all fused together!
Both my trucks have had those issues in near identical fashion. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First the heating in the center console is normal from what I have experienced. It's caused by the heater ducts that run through the center console to the middle seat foot area. They are part of the front hvac system not the rear.

The wind noise I have heard door seals can cause wind noise. From my vehicle I have noticed wind noise when the window is fully pressed up against the seal almost like when the window closes it presses so hard it deflects the window or seal causing the noise. Usually i can remove the noise by slightly opening the window and not letting the window go up until the motor stops. Its hard to explain but try it next time you are driving pust the switch down just slightly and release it when the window just moves slightly see if the noise goes away. The widow should still be sealed i havent tried it but if its raining or at car wash i will make sure the window is fully up.

I too had the same wind noise in the driver's door when the window was in the full closed position. I tried adjusting every which way and nothing worked. I finally decided to permanently address the problem and used some 3M weatherstripping sealant and slightly puller the rubber weatherstripping back and gave the area a good bead of sealant and then put the striping back and rolled the window up to keep pressure in that area. The wind noise still hasn't come back after a month. Here's what I used: https://www.amazon.com/3M-MMM8001-W...ocphy=9008460&hvtargid=pla-593790487914&psc=1

can you post a pic of the exact area you did this? I have the same wind noise issue....

As for the center console getting hot, I have this happen randomly as well. Its not every drive, or even every long drive, and it happens in the suimmer as well, so I cant imagine the heater ducts are causing it.....

We've never had a problem with the center console getting too hot, and DW keeps all kinds of crap in there. Gum, makeup, mints, car sickness meds for when kids were young...still in there I think :).
I wonder if heat is able to build up if the middle-row vents are closed/restricted. Make sure those middle row vents are wide open.

Good Point thebrakeman...I'll check those rear vents. A lot of the time though I am running with all the back seats flat, and the area right behind the center console is a great place for a water bottle, but that usually gets real warm fast. Maybe I should try setting the back vents to cooler air??

JAWIT - that is the kind of solution I am looking for! I mean this is a really annoying issue at highway speed and we do a lot of three to five hour driving on the freeway to the folks house, cabin etc. Would definitely appreciate the images as well.

My '06 does not have a separate temp control for the middle row console ducts. Temp control is whatever the driver temp is set at. The only controls (I think) on the rear of the console are to direct air to the vents at the console, or direct it down to the floor. That may be another hint. If directed to the floor, make sure nothing is blocking those vents.

Absentx: here are the pics and the areas circled are where I peeled back the weatherstripping and applied a bead of the 3M sealant. As you can see, I applied it on the inside and outside of door. Hope it solves your wind noise issue too.

93CFA5DF-9809-4353-BBDD-E2A09F6881F9.jpeg

069D8B62-E670-4F80-B3D3-91C773C2C6F5.jpeg

Thanks JAWIT!

3M product arrived from Amazon today...I'll give it a try once its a bit warmer out.

I had wind noise from the front seat side windows and it drove me crazy. I replaced the weatherstripping on the driver's side window, but that did nothing except cost me $95!

I finally fixed it by pulling the weatherstrip off the metal that the weatherstripping attaches to, and bent that metal in slightly with a pair of 3" wide vise grips. Problem solved.

Other than these annoying items, both have been good? Wind noise would bother me, but looks like solutions here.
After driving Subaru's and Volvo's I am very tired of CV Axle sensitivities that cause freeway vibration, harsh ride from prematurely aging rubber and rattles all over.
How do they do in those areas? We have a 2010 Escape V6 we bought new with now over 200k miles and it as none of those issues. Only rattle is the back tailgate latch and grease twice a year takes care of that. Looking at buying a 2010 V8 for personal use and summer travel trailer towing

my tub of coco butter petroleum jelly has never melted from the heater i keep the rear console vents open all the time and heat on full blast.... only thing I can think is the rear vents are either not open or not opening fully causing heat to build up in the ducts making your console into an oven

Back