New member from New Zealand | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New member from New Zealand

bener

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
3.0 Diesel Toyota Surf
Hi everyone, I'm looking at buying a 2004-2005 explorer and converting it to LPG, so I've got a good list of questions for the forum!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

LPG?

that's a new one.

I'm sure that someone here has tried it.

@imp perhaps?

Yeah there are installers here that do it, using sequential injection. LPG is around half the price of gasoline here so it's popular for larger vehicles.

Welcome to the forum!

LPG?

that's a new one.

I'm sure that someone here has tried it.

@imp perhaps?
@shucker1
Only to heat my house once, in Indiana. New to the job and house, tank was buried in the yard. Got a foot of snow, ran out of LPG while at work, my mother, then living with me, called the propane guy, but the fill connection was buried.....neighbor walked over, moved the snow a bit with his boot, knew exactly where the fill-pipe was! That Hoosier was buying his retirement property already, in his 50s, in PUERTO RICO! I knew why. imp

LPG burns the valves out. Save your money and just service it regularly.
They also run less power on LPG.

Si

I would have been using an additive to avoid that, it's part of the system, but I've ended up buying a Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD, so I should be kicked out the forum now haha!

Thanks for all your input everyone!

LPG burns the valves out. Save your money and just service it regularly.
They also run less power on LPG.

Odd.

GE has a whole fleet of locomotive conversions with LPG.

A lot of Offshore Supply Vessels (OSV) are running LPG instead of diesel these days too.

The big stationary units I work on actually are fueled by natural gas.

Welcome.

Odd.

A lot of Offshore Supply Vessels (OSV) are running LPG instead of diesel these days too.

I think the older conversions had this issue, newer conversions use sequential injection, and they have a bottle of additive under the bonnet that is mixed with the fuel to stop that happening.

The explorer hasn't been officially sold here since 2000 so nobody bothers with updating stuff on them anymore

Si

Are you in NZ? Yeah after gen 3 they weren't made in RHD, but Lovato and BRC still do new sequential kits for them - after the warnings from owners here I decided to avoid the gen 3, which is a shame as they were a great setup inside and out !

No mate. I'm in the UK. We never got the 3rd gen. Only the 2nd gen. Didn't sell very well

Si

Oh I see! That's a shame!

Odd.

@shucker1
But do those gizmos you work on even HAVE valves?? :bow:

Hope yer doing OK! Best wishes.....imp

@imp,

Yes the big Cooper Bessemer's are (2) stroke engines but they do have a mechanical fuel admission valve.

They also have a air start valve. We blow 200 PSI compressed air in the combustion chamber to get them moving and started.

We do have a Cooper series called the LS or LSV line that is a 4 stroke as well as the Superior Brand name.

Back