What parts interchange between the v6 and v8, and what should I keep? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What parts interchange between the v6 and v8, and what should I keep?

Scurvy

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.0l
My 2002 Expo (with the v6 engine) is done for, I'm going to get it hauled away for scrap this week or next, but I am trying to decide on which parts I should keep from it because I am going to be buying another one in the next 4-8 weeks. I was going to keep a handful of parts as spares for the next truck.

So my question is two parts, first, what parts interchange between the v6 and v8 engines, if any?

Second, what parts should I keep? So far, I'm thinking of keeping the starter, alternator, battery, hitch, and 1 wheel/tire. What other parts would have a reasonable chance of being useful in the future?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cruise servo, computers, front driveshaft, rear driveshaft, transfer case, rear diff, front diff, instrument cluster, seat belts, Ac pressure switches, electrical switches, wiper motors, seats if in good shape, blend doors front and rear, throttle body, lights if lenses are in good shape, airbags, 4x4 control module, battery, PATS transceiver and keys. If they can take the vehicle without wheels, then I would keep wheels, take off rear knuckles and toe links too. Anything of value. These are the parts that seem to be expensive to replace, but then again I haven't seen high failure rates for these so they probably will take up room and gather dust. Just make sense to me since as time goes on, more of these are obsolete.

I would rebuild some of the parts and sell them honestly and use others on custom projects but I am always building something so random parts do come in handy.

My advice is don't even turn down this road. Once you start you can never turn back, and, it never fails the thing you need is not in the huge pile of no man's land--

Cruise servo, computers, front driveshaft, rear driveshaft, transfer case, rear diff, front diff, instrument cluster, seat belts, Ac pressure switches, electrical switches, wiper motors, seats if in good shape, blend doors front and rear, throttle body, lights if lenses are in good shape, airbags, 4x4 control module, battery, PATS transceiver and keys. If they can take the vehicle without wheels, then I would keep wheels, take off rear knuckles and toe links too. Anything of value. These are the parts that seem to be expensive to replace, but then again I haven't seen high failure rates for these so they probably will take up room and gather dust. Just make sense to me since as time goes on, more of these are obsolete.

I would rebuild some of the parts and sell them honestly and use others on custom projects but I am always building something so random parts do come in handy.

That list is certainly more extensive then I was planning on. I'm thinking about filling a regular size rubbermaid tub at most. A lot of that stuff doesn't seem like things I'll be likely to need, and I can always go to the wrecker and get parts if I need it... I just figured I'm scrapping the car, might as well hold onto a few things... I should add the headlights, wiper motor, washer fluid pump, PATS transceiver to the list... Where is the 4x4 module located? that might be good to have too...

My advice is don't even turn down this road. Once you start you can never turn back, and, it never fails the thing you need is not in the huge pile of no man's land--

Hahaha yeah, years ago I had two Bronco II's, one of which I stripped for parts. Took basically everything but the engine block, tranny/tcase, and the seats... I used one of the rear axle shafts, thats about it before I sold the Bronco with all the spare parts... Thats why I was only planning on grabbing a small handful of things this time around, some of the smaller and more expensive items...

4x4 control module is fastened to the blower motor housing, directly behind the glovebox. Says "4x4 CM", only used on 02 and MY 03 Explorers.

Does anyone know if any of the under-the-hood parts (alternator, starter, throttle body, etc etc) interchange between the v6 and v8 engines?

Rockauto is great for comparing compatibility. Open two tabs, v6 in one, v8 in the other and go to town.

Back