Custom DRL /Signal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom DRL /Signal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty cool looking! Did you put new LEDs into the headlight unit for the orange?

I second that request!

I retrofitted the headlight, custom wired all individual LED circuits and wired them appropriately to Signal/DRL/Showmode functions. All plug and play with stock harness. I'm making a few one off sets of these to be sold. Heres some more functions like what I call modern police mode, all controlled via your phone.

Unfinished early state of LED wiring

NeBMDZd.jpg

This is incredibly impressive, nice work!

I retrofitted the headlight, custom wired all individual LED circuits and wired them appropriately to Signal/DRL/Showmode functions. All plug and play with stock harness. I'm making a few one off sets of these to be sold. Heres some more functions like what I call modern police mode, all controlled via your phone.

Unfinished early state of LED wiring

NeBMDZd.jpg

Fantastic! This is a mod that is genuinely great and would probably result in a free subscription if you posted a detailed how to thread.

Awesome work.. here in NY youd get arrested at the first hint of them LOL I live in the nanny capital of the world.. Supreme Emperor Cuomo presiding over the death to NY.

This is incredibly impressive, nice work!

Thanks. Hopefully Ill have this first set done and on the vehicle by end of month.

Fantastic! This is a mod that is genuinely great and would probably result in a free subscription if you posted a detailed how to thread.

Ill be sure to post all my progress of the build until completion.

Awesome work.. here in NY youd get arrested at the first hint of them LOL I live in the nanny capital of the world.. Supreme Emperor Cuomo presiding over the death to NY.

Thanks. Lol so obviously you wouldnt want to be driving around with the white\amber show mode or the blue and red leds. Its more so for car shows\parking lots, etc. Also what ideally will happen is when the car is unlocked\started it will play an animation. Then when the parking lights are turn't on it will animate into them being lit. Then it will reverse animate off whne they are turnt off and reverse animate when the car is shut down\locked.

One thing im running into right now is my 2016 explorer has the signature led lighting around the headlights. However this spare set I purchased must of been off perhaps a different model because the internals do NOT have the led emitter for the signature lights. Is it true that may be BASE models of the explorer do not have the signature lighting?

With that being the case, I need to somehow figure out how to determine which connector pins on the headlight are neg\pos for the signature leds in their stock\oem form. Does anyone know where i can get that information? Obviously i could source another headlight that has them (xlt/platinum?) and tear them apart but id rather not have to spend the $800 for that right now lol.

Sorry I cannot be of help on the signature lighting. Not even sure what it really consists of.. I have a 15 which of course does not have it that I am aware of anyway. LOL.. I have a sport with smoked lenses from factory. I have upgraded the Halogens to Diode Dynamics HID.. My housings have a shutter for low /high and have the yellow blob above headlights. ..Nothing LED about them. I run my fogs as DRLs as I have updated them to LED vs halogen and use Forscan to change the settings ..

Base models won't have signature lighting, you're exactly correct.

Try BBB industries for wiring diagrams. If you strike out, send me a PM.

Very nice touch

Base models won't have signature lighting, you're exactly correct.

Try BBB industries for wiring diagrams. If you strike out, send me a PM.

Looks like plane for the diagrams are having issue. Will check again tomorrow, thanks.

I put together this btw as I saw alot of controversy over it on other threads. I still need to gather the data for auto mode during daylight.

Switch Position: OFF

Daytime running light=ON

Result:
P: LED ON, Main OFF
D: LED ON, Main OFF

Daytime running light=OFF

Result:

Switch Position: Parking (led dims 50%)

Daytime running light=ON

Result:

Result:

Switch Position: Auto

Daytime running light=ON

Determined as DARK OUT: Yes(Headlights lowbeams trigger as ON)

Result:
P: LED ON, Main ON
D: LED ON, Main ON

Determined as DARK OUT: No(Daylight, low beams not triggered)

Result:
P:
D:

Determined as DARK OUT: Yes(Headlights lowbeams trigger as ON)

Result:
P: LED ON, Main ON
D: LED ON, Main ON

Determined as DARK OUT: No(Daylight, low beams not triggered)

Result:
P:
D:

I believe the above applies to U.S. Explorers only since the DRL system is set up differently in Canada.

Peter

2019s are also different.

I'm seeing 2019s roll around with both signature LEDs and the parking light configuration of the base vehicles--sigs + steady burn ambers when park lamps are on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not just NY. Going back 20+ years to when I was a volunteer firefighter in FL, possession of red lights without a permit was illegal, and possession of blue lights was illegal unless you were a law enforcement officer. Period. Nothing about operating or not; simply having them in the vehicle was illegal. I've seen a NY volunteer firefighter get stopped for having a blue light on his dash, since it is reversed in NY. He did not get a ticket, but was told to stash it while he was in the state.

Given the number of times people have impersonated an officer and pulled people over illegally, I wouldn't be surprised if simple possession was illegal in most states.

Back