• Register Today It's free!

radiator model interchangeability

herlilred96

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 limited
I have a 96 explorer 4.0 that needs a radiator. Can anyone tell me if the radiator from my 99 4.0 explorer will fit and work properly?
I bought a radiator from pick and pull but it also leaks. I bought the 99 to use for parts. But before I tear it all apart I thought I would ask. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A great source for cross-referencing parts is on the RockAuto website. You don't mention whether the '99 is a SOHC or OHV...but regardless, they list different part numbers for '96 vs either of the '99 engines. Anybody's guess as to what may be different...or, whether they could actually be interchanged.

As far as I know the 4.0 radiators are the same. As said, check the RA on-line catalog to be sure. You're lucky. The 4.0 radiators are a snap to change. The 5.0 radiators are a PITA.

Thank you all. I went ahead and changed them out and it worked perfect. We are back on the road and running cool again. I appreciate the info.

Thank you all. I went ahead and changed them out and it worked perfect. We are back on the road and running cool again. I appreciate the info.

We’re both engines OHV or was the 99 SOHC? Might pick up an OHV 2 core rad but trying to see if it’ll mount the same as my 2000 5L (currently single core ) have been told the 2000 5L and 2000 4L SOHC mount the same

We’re both engines OHV or was the 99 SOHC? Might pick up an OHV 2 core rad but trying to see if it’ll mount the same as my 2000 5L (currently single core ) have been told the 2000 5L and 2000 4L SOHC mount the same

I bought a new, unused radiator for an OHV 4.0L ('99 Ranger IIRC) to put in my '01 Sport Trac. It was identical to the SOHC 4.0L radiator. The fan shrouds were different, but I didn't need a shroud.

I bought a new, unused radiator for an OHV 4.0L ('99 Ranger IIRC) to put in my '01 Sport Trac. It was identical to the SOHC 4.0L radiator. The fan shrouds were different, but I didn't need a shroud.

Awesome thanks for the response !

Awesome thanks for the response !

I brought my old radiator when I went to pickup the new one and I measured and compared the heck out of the new one to my old one and they were identical. This makes sense that they'd be the same for the OHV and the SOHC. They're the same basic short blocks and 4.0L displacements going into the same basic design vehicles so why would Ford have 2 different rads?

The two rads you mentioned are the same on rock auto, 99 ranger OHV and 01 sport trac SOHC

However a 97 OHV from an explorer has different dimensions. That was one I was looking to pull (because it’s dual core) to put in my 00 explorer 5.0 but the dimensions for my 5.0 are the same as the rads you mentioned.

Mounting pointa look to be the same from pictures on rock auto just the aluminum width is less for the 97 explorer OHV

The two rads you mentioned are the same on rock auto, 99 ranger OHV and 01 sport trac SOHC

However a 97 OHV from an explorer has different dimensions. That was one I was looking to pull (because it’s dual core) to put in my 00 explorer 5.0 but the dimensions for my 5.0 are the same as the rads you mentioned.

Mounting pointa look to be the same from pictures on rock auto just the aluminum width is less for the 97 explorer OHV

The 5.0L V8 radiators are totally different, in pretty much every way, to the V6 rads and they mount totally differently than the V6 rads. The V8 rad is quite a bit wider than the V6 rad (and frankly it's a PITA to change). The V6 rads are a piece of cake to change. I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but I don't recommend trying to install a V8 rad in a V6 Expl (or vise-versa) due to the multiple fitment issues.

You definitely need the v8 radiator. However, I do have a tip.

1997 explorer v8 radiators have a different part number than later models. That is because they are 2 core, thicker and hold more coolant.

:)

The 5.0L V8 radiators are totally different, in pretty much every way, to the V6 rads and they mount totally differently than the V6 rads. The V8 rad is quite a bit wider than the V6 rad (and frankly it's a PITA to change). The V6 rads are a piece of cake to change. I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but I don't recommend trying to install a V8 rad in a V6 Expl (or vise-versa) due to the multiple fitment issues.

How are they different in every way? All the specs on rock auto for the 2000 SOHC 4L and my 5L are exactly the same.

There’s an OHV dual core rad for sale close to me in good condition. Was looking into if it would work before I bought new

You definitely need the v8 radiator. However, I do have a tip.

1997 explorer v8 radiators have a different part number than later models. That is because they are 2 core, thicker and hold more coolant.

:)

I noticed that more of the older 2nd gens had the 2 core, I’m probably going to buy a new 96/97 dual core :)

How are they different in every way? All the specs on rock auto for the 2000 SOHC 4L and my 5L are exactly the same.

There’s an OHV dual core rad for sale close to me in good condition. Was looking into if it would work before I bought new

Trust me. I've replaced 2 Expl V6 radiators and 3 Expl V8 radiators. They are not the same at all and I don't care what RA's catalog says. @Turdle is right about the double row core on the older 5.0L rads, but they still mount differently than any V6 rad.

Trust me. I've replaced 2 Expl V6 radiators and 3 Expl V8 radiators. They are not the same at all and I don't care what RA's catalog says. @Turdle is right about the double row core on the older 5.0L rads, but they still mount differently than any V6 rad.

Perfect that’s what I needed to hear, thanks for the heads up !

Perfect that’s what I needed to hear, thanks for the heads up !

The V8 rad is so wide it barely fits between the frame rails, which are all the same width regardless of which engine you have. The V8 rad attaches to the A/C condenser using "fanny-pack" clips. The V6 rad is held in place with 2 bolts and then it sets on 2 rubber lined brackets on the bottom. It is not attached to the A/C condenser at all. That's what makes it so easy to replace. If you have to have a double core radiator I'm sure they are available for both the V6 and V8. though you might have an issue with the fan shroud being different between the dual core and single core rads.

The V8 rad is so wide it barely fits between the frame rails, which are all the same width regardless of which engine you have. The V8 rad attaches to the A/C condenser using "fanny-pack" clips. The V6 rad is held in place with 2 bolts and then it sets on 2 rubber lined brackets on the bottom. It is not attached to the A/C condenser at all. That's what makes it so easy to replace. If you have to have a double core radiator I'm sure they are available for both the V6 and V8. though you might have an issue with the fan shroud being different between the dual core and single core rads.

I don’t think my AC condenser is attached to my rad but I’ll have a look. I have the shroud for the dual core already so I’m good there. Might need to hit up a parts vehicle to make sure I have all the clips, mounts, wind fairings etc

My single core does not do the job. Heavy explorer with lots of goodies blocking air flow

Your 5.0L V8 factory radiator is connected to your ac condenser, yes it is, with big plastic clips.
If you know how they go together you can get them apart pretty easy but it takes practice :) this first time can be a real bear
If they are not connected then it is not a factory radiator.
The V6 and V8 Gen II radiators are similar, but not the same.......as Koda2000 already correctly pointed out
The v8 trucks should only have the dual core installed, in fact all automatic trans V6 and V8 explorers should have the dual core IMO, I hate to see shops install the cheaper single core just to make more $$$$

The problem with the V8 rad is not so much removing it, it's getting the new one installed. There's a plastic piece on the driver's side of the A/C condenser that is not really attached to anything. Getting the new rad into place is a pain because stuff is moving around and when you get one side lined up the other side may not want to go in. I'm sure Ford mounted the rad to the A/C condenser to make it easier to install both pieces as one unit on the assembly line, but unless you want to drain and refill you A/C system you have to deal with it. It can be done, but expect some swearing and asking yourself why Ford did it this way.

I watched a video on replacing a 5.0 rad before I did my first one. That helped a lot, but it was still kinda of pain and the next 2 I changed weren't any easier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@410Fortune the rad has been replaced before and I think at that time it was replaced with a single core

I agree all autos should come with dual core. Any input on bypassing the rad with my tranny fluid and just running it through an aux cooler

I have a temp gauge and it gets way higher than it should. I believe it’s partial because of the rad. Aux cooler has a fan on it I control with a switch

Back