Explorer 'A' pillar replacement | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 'A' pillar replacement

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
While this was a fairly common issue on the earlier models, it is no longer so on the recent ones.

Peter
Dealership acknowledged the problem and is replacing the part.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

'A' PILLAR WINDSHIELD RETAINING STRIP WEATHERSTRIPPING

The weatherstripping/rubber seal that is attached to the A Pillar Windshield Retaining Strip (PN: BB5Z-803145-AA is deteriorating and part of it has torn away and come off. It looks as though this weatherstripping is part of the retaining strip. Can I order the weatherstripping separately? If not, is it a critical piece? Am I in danger of letting water in and damaging the interior and other things? Thank you in advance for your help.

BB5Z-7803145-AA.jpg

Does it look like the weatherstripping slides off easily? From looking at the pictures on the previous page I would think it is part of the Retaining Strip. now that some of the weatherstrip has already come off, have you driven in rain or washed the Explorer? If so, did any water enter?

Peter

Anyone with an answer to the separate part listing for weatherstrip? I fell for the trap of trying to save a buck buy buying the A Pillar moulding piece from an E-Bay seller and it came without the weather strip... and I am getting very frustrated trying to find it separately. Any help? It seems like these pieces flying off and others also getting the replacement without the rubber would mean someone out there has an answer?

Welcome to the Forum Anthony.:wave:

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Anthony.:wave:

Peter
Thanks for the welcome -

I realized your questions for the previous poster were never answered - it seems like the weather strip adheres to the underside of the plastic moulding. When I pre-fit the piece there is a gap between the edge of the plastic and the windshield - where this rubber piece is to go.

I have looked into weather stripping options and found this marvelous image from AliExpress - but it seems any option I find on amazon is more "foamy" and meant for inside doors or other areas and not that direct contact with wind/rain/weather...the surviving side is definitely rubber and not foamy..
upload_2018-10-18_11-48-20.png

On the good side - I have been driving for about three weeks now without moulding in place - an no leaks.

I am glad I found this thread. My 2011 makes a buzzing sound at highway speeds. I have narrowed it down to the weather stripping by taping down a portion of the weather stripping with blue painters tape and then testing. Just to be clear the weather strip I am referring to is shown in post #1 and the OP has an arrow pointing directly at the top part of the stripping. Can anyone help me verify that this seal is included with the A Pillar(shown as Part #BB5z-7803144-AA/BB5Z-7803145-AA in earlier post) or is this a separate part or attached to the inner pillar? I appreciate your help!

The wife sent me a picture of her Explorer with the passenger side exterior trim missing off of the A-pillar I've done some searching here to see what I need, but the thread is pretty old. She is out of warranty (mileage), so it's a job for me. I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if anything else is missing. What parts should I replace, what are the part numbers and where is the best place to get them? I see parts on ebay, but I saw a post where other parts may be needed than just the exterior trim piece.

Thanks!

Post pics if you have them

The wife sent me a picture of her Explorer with the passenger side exterior trim missing off of the A-pillar I've done some searching here to see what I need, but the thread is pretty old. She is out of warranty (mileage), so it's a job for me. I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if anything else is missing. What parts should I replace, what are the part numbers and where is the best place to get them? I see parts on ebay, but I saw a post where other parts may be needed than just the exterior trim piece.

Thanks!
Your thread has been merged with this one. It should help in explaining what is required. Just make sure you get the plastic clips along with the trim piece.
I believe this is the part. Not sure if clips are included.

Peter

My wife's 2017 Ex had the passenger side trim fly off on the freeway on the third day of ownership with 150 miles on the odo. Scared the hell out of me sitting in the passenger seat. Obviously dealer replaced under warranty. It's nice to know this will be a recurring issue. :banghead:

I was driving on the highway doing 60MPH and windshield moldings/trim on the driver side of the windshield flew off. This could have caused a very bad accident or hurt someone extremely bad, thankfully it did not. Ford/local dealer is saying this is not covered under there warranty as the car is 3+ years old. They wanted me to pay $350 to fix it. I have seen several others complain of this exactly the same thing. This should be a safety recall. I am left with all the nuts and bolts of the windshield exposed. I fear that other passenger side of the trim will also fall off soon. Is there any way to strengthen these trims to prevent it falling off. I tried to raise it to local ministry consumer protection forum and lodged a complaint that Ford is not taking any action for recall. Is they any way to raise it to Ford?

ford windshield moulding problem.jpg

Your thread was moved here. There are a few more on the same issue.
Save your breath. No recall will be issued for this issue. It has been occurring since 2011 but is quite rare with the later models. Recalls are only issued for safety-related issues in regards to your vehicle. This does not qualify.

Peter

Thanks peterk9 for information. I have replaced the aseembly with new one. However I fear that it will fly off again. Is there any way to strengthen it to prevent fall off in future. Is strong adhesive glue a viable option?

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks peterk9 for information. I have replaced the aseembly with new one. However I fear that it will fly off again. Is there any way to strengthen it to prevent fall off in future. Is strong adhesive glue a viable option?

Thanks for your reply.
One member posted that there isn't really much that you can attach the glue to. Perhaps you could use silicone?

Peter

Well, add me to the list. My A-pillar cover blew off on a bridge. Took it to the local dealer. $530 to replace as the ripping off motion damaged part of the bracket as well . I then asked if my extended warranty covered it (since it's 2015). I was told the same as others have that trim and cosmetic parts aren't covered. I literally blew a gasket. I spent and am spending all this money on an extended warranty only to find something as simple as this not covered?!?

It's not like I don't have to replace it. It looks terrible and I'm sure it's not good to leave the brackets and such exposed to the elements. The dealer told me they'd knock a few bucks off, but I'm stuck. I don't have the time right now to do the install myself. I'm now told by the dealer to minimize taking the vehicle through car washes as the equipment tends to pull at the Explorer's trims. lol

By the way, the porter who took my XLT back to service said he's seen about 30-40 explorers come through with this exact issue.

I love my Explorer...just a little upset in this instance. I know the dealer doesn't control this but maybe someone higher-up at Ford sees these posts and can look at the issue. I really believe if it's an inherent problem with the part whether it be mechanical, cosmetic, and/or safety that it at least should be covered by the extended warranty.

Well, add me to the list. My A-pillar cover blew off on a bridge. Took it to the local dealer. $530 to replace as the ripping off motion damaged part of the bracket as well . I then asked if my extended warranty covered it (since it's 2015). I was told the same as others have that trim and cosmetic parts aren't covered. I literally blew a gasket. I spent and am spending all this money on an extended warranty only to find something as simple as this not covered?!?...................................................
All items that are not covered are listed at the bottom of the ESP brochure. It seems that many people that have bought the ESP don't know what is and what isn't covered.

Peter

All items that are not covered are listed at the bottom of the ESP brochure. It seems that many people that have bought the ESP don't know what is and what isn't covered.

Peter

Very true Peter and thanks as always for your help and input, but this appears to be an inherent problem with this particular piece of trim.

I’m just not happy paying $500 for something that keeps falling off their vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just replaced both sides today. I had the windshield replaces last June, 2018 and the glass man told me that some of the trim clips will break and that I may have to replace the trim. But only two clips broke on each side and they seamed to go back on tight. Well both came off at Interstate speeds, one two months ago and one last week. I had already purchased replacements along with new clips from everyone's favorite auction site. After looking at what was available on UTube and the comments here, I tackled the job this afternoon. What took the longest was cleaning the residual sealer off the rubber weather strip on the inner base. I figured that if the butel strip on the top trim was going to seal properly, the rubber should be as clean as possible. I bit of scraping with a flat screw driver and some 3M adhesive remover and I was good to go. Both sides had small tears in the rubber, likely from the glass installer, so I reinforced with some Gorilla duct tape cut to size. I replaced the broken clips, pealed off the butel strip protective cover, maneuvered the trim into place, lined up the tabs and popped it on by hitting with my fist over each clip, peeled off the outer protective cover; done! FYI, my local dealer wanted $125 for each outer trim part. They told me I should also replace the inner part for another $130 each. I didn't replace the inner part and got both outer pieces and the clips for less than the dealer wanted for one.

Back