List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 52 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

I was told by the dealership, that they will only repair this problem once, and if it comes back, it will be on my dime to fix the problem again. Was also told that they will not replace the entire hood, only sand, treat, and paint it. For this reason, I am thinking that it isn't worth having it fixed until near the end of the 5 year corrosion warranty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was told by the dealership, that they will only repair this problem once, and if it comes back, it will be on my dime to fix the problem again. Was also told that they will not replace the entire hood, only sand, treat, and paint it. For this reason, I am thinking that it isn't worth having it fixed until near the end of the 5 year corrosion warranty.
I'm not sure why there is this discrepancy in the procedure? I can only guess it is again a lack of communications on Ford's part. Several members with a 2016 have had the hood replaced.

Peter

My dealership said something similar when I took my 2015 in for the issue...I showed them the TSB and they replaced the hood, not repaired it.

Not an idiot. Just not knowledgeable about this issue. Not uncommon.

Peter
Not knowledgeable=idiot in my book. Time for a new dealership.
I'm not sure why there is this discrepancy in the procedure? I can only guess it is again a lack of communications on Ford's part. Several members with a 2016 have had the hood replaced.

Peter
Because the dealer is an IDIOT, and can't read a tsb. Again, time to find a new dealer.

My dealership said something similar when I took my 2015 in for the issue...I showed them the TSB and they replaced the hood, not repaired it.

Might you have this TSB, and be able to send me a PDF of it, or tell me where I might find it. When I asked about replacement, I was told NO! Thanks

Might you have this TSB, and be able to send me a PDF of it, or tell me where I might find it. When I asked about replacement, I was told NO! Thanks
see post 1023 above

Peter

Yes, see Peter’s post.

When the dealer replaced my hood I had to ask them to replace the decal too...they eventually gave me one to put on, but it’s not worth it. The replacement decal has your VIN handwritten on it...I think to discourage fraud/EPA violations????

Just following up on the sticker issue....

I decided to ask the dealer to get the label and I just had them put it on today.
It is the exact same label as the original. I know because the technician checked another 2016 Explorer that was in for service to check the label and the correct placement, and I was with him.

It is the exact same as the original... except the VIN is handwritten in a blank area on it. (original has no VIN, just a blank area that looks like it was left that way for this reason) I asked them why this was done and the technician said that Ford actually writes it on the label and then sends it by registered mail to the dealer to make sure they don't "get lost" or used by someone on another vehicle.

The dealer never fought me about it, they just said it was up to me and if I wanted it, they would get it.
I am glad I did it, just in case it is needed somewhere down the road.
(Best I can find is the only use right now is if a vehicle is sold across state lines, a few states may want to see it before registering it... who knows?)

Glad I found this site. I purchased a used 2011 Ford Explorer about 5 years ago. The Hood started peeling last summer and is pretty bad along the edge. Is this something that is still under warranty, I have about 82500 miles.
I read on a different site about a company called ZestarCorp. www.zestar.com. That a guy with an older Explorer that was more than 5 years old took Ford to a small claims court and won an award of $1668.00 for a new paint job on his roof. Go to YouTube and search "Zestar Corporation" and they will tell you information about how to take Ford to court for the bad paint jobs. Good luck! Oh by the way I'm taking my "16" Explorer in Thursday for the lead edge on my hood is also bubbling. I'm glad I read these blogs about getting a new hood instead of a repaint job. Thanks guys!

Unfortunately, the hood bubbling issue has nothing to do with a "bad paint job". The bubbling is caused by corrosion of the aluminum hood under the paint. There is however, another thread on paint issues where the post may be more appropriate.

Peter

Unfortunately, the hood bubbling issue has nothing to do with a "bad paint job". The bubbling is caused by corrosion of the aluminum hood under the paint. There is however, another thread on paint issues where the post may be more appropriate.

Peter
Hi Peter

I'm sorry I used a bad example, Zestar Corporation also helped get aluminum corrosion issues that were past warranty taken care of. Zestar has helped with several aluminum corrosion issues on Expeditions and Mustangs too. When they went to small claims court without a lawyer, they won over $5000.00. The main thing is there is still a way to get compensation when you are past warranty as with mbufano's 2011 Explorer.

Hi Peter

I'm sorry I used a bad example, Zestar Corporation also helped get aluminum corrosion issues that were past warranty taken care of. Zestar has helped with several aluminum corrosion issues on Expeditions and Mustangs too. When they went to small claims court without a lawyer, they won over $5000.00. The main thing is there is still a way to get compensation when you are past warranty as with mbufano's 2011 Explorer.
I doubt you would get any compensation from Ford since the factory warranty has expired and given the age of the vehicle. I'm no lawyer but he may have a chance in small claims court. Ford has issued TSB 17-0062 Aluminum Panel Corrosion for 2002 - 2017 Explorers and has increased the warranty coverage beginning with the 2016 to 5 years, unlimited mileage. To me, it shows that Ford is aware of the potential issue but I don't know if that helps in small claims court.

Peter

Just tried to follow this link and the link to the corrosion tsb isn’t working. It says “page not found 404”
Welcome to the Forum Brandon.:wave:
I just tried it and it works. Another way to access it is to go to the first page of this "Discussion" thread and go to the 'Sticky' section (top part) and select "List of Useful Threads" and then select "2011+ Explorer TSBs" and look at post #39.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Brandon.:wave:
I just tried it and it works. Another way to access it is to go to the first page of this "Discussion" thread and go to the 'Sticky' section (top part) and select "List of Useful Threads" and then select "2011+ Explorer TSBs" and look at post #39.

Peter
Thank you!! I just picked up my “new to me” ‘15 sport this morning! It has that paint issue on the hood so I’m trying to look into it.

Just tried to follow this link and the link to the corrosion tsb isn’t working. It says “page not found 404”
Hi Brandon

If you want to look into another way to help you with your paint issue, there is a group on Facebook that will help. The site is Ford/Mercury Peeling Paint Complaints. They talk about the aluminum corrosion issues and the peeling paint problems. I just joined the site. I have a 2016 Explorer with a bubbling front edge on my hood. Now I took it in to the Ford dealer on 3/7/19 and they called later that day and said Ford is giving me a new painted hood. It will be ready by Monday 3/11/19. I just told them about the TSB 17-0062 and I had no problems. I still joined that group on Facebook in case of any problems after my warranty is over.

They even talked about that Zestar Corp. helping a guy who was past warranty on his Expedition's aluminum hatch peeling. I googled Zestar Corp. and it sounds like this guy Steve from Zestar knows how to help to give you information on going to small claims court. This other Ford owner said tho you have to have the problem fixed and have all your receipts that you want recouped by Ford before going to court. He also said that Ford will call the paint shop to verify that you had it fixed and the car rental place if you rent a car for the time your cars in the shop. Good luck!

Am I to understand that Ford is supplying painted hoods to dealers,or is Ford paying for 3rd party body shops to do it? My wife’s 17 Ex is just now experiencing a small bubble on the leading edge of the hood.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Am I to understand that Ford is supplying painted hoods to dealers,or is Ford paying for 3rd party body shops to do it? My wife’s 17 Ex is just now experiencing a small bubble on the leading edge of the hood.
Tom, my Ford dealer called and said I was getting a new painted hood installed. I guess that my Ford dealer got the hood and had it painted. It had to be another body shop because they closed theirs and leasing the space to a body shop.

Back