06 Explorer Rear Window Release Motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 Explorer Rear Window Release Motor

Marty Caudill

Reaction score
City, State
Kite, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
I'm having problems out of the rear window electric release.. I thought it was the actuator motor,, bought I good used one .. And still won't work .. I'm not getting enough power to the actuator motor .. Took the old one and hooked straight to battery and it works as should .. What would cause it not to get the full 12 volts ,, I assume is what it should get?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Short answer power or ground problem. Check the connections and look for any green crusties on the contacts. If you have a multimeter check the voltage at the contacts.

I've checked all connections.. Only thing in the back that works is lock.. Rear wiper,, hatch release,, neither works.. Defrost strips kind of work.. I put a meter on the release hatch and it gave 12 volts for maybe 1/4 of a second.. Needs 12 volts for at least 3 secs to make the motor do a complete turn.. All I know to do is go let Ford suck $300-$600 out of me.. If anymore i can live without anything working back there.. Something in the harness about all i can figure out and I'm by far no electrician.. I can jump wires off the connector in the harness at the top of my back gate and make the hatch release and wiper work..

[QUOTE="Marty Caudill, post: 3757515, member: 345782"I can jump wires off the connector in the harness at the top of my back gate and make the hatch release and wiper work..[/QUOTE]

Then you have a problem in the wiring from there if that actually is the connector that supplies the power. You have a wiring problem. That's nothing anyone can diagnose remotely.
Good luck. If you are right then you are lucky - it's just the wire between the connector and the device - not the wire from the front.

That connector comes off main harness and goes to the defrost strips and wiper im pretty sure.. Know goes to defrost for sure..

I turn my key on,, and check charging system light comes on.. Dont know if that would have anything to do with it or not.. Or a whole different problem.. I turned my lights on for about 5 mins.. Headlights,, 2 6" led lights and a 20" led bar.. Started no problem

I recently chased down a problem with my glass release. It would not work via switch, remote or keypad. Fuse was good so I thought it was the motor.

AfterAtaking it all apart, it ended up that the exterior switch was bad...once I disconneted the switch, the remote and keypad started working again to pop the glass. I think over time, water got in the switch and caused it to corrode and stop working.

baddriver, thanks for posting the above info. I have been having similar problems with the back glass all winter. Occasionally the rear glass will be "popped" when I start the truck after sitting all night. Yet neither the exterior switch nor the remote will open the glass. Just waiting for warmer weather before I pull the panel off.

Due you happen to have a part # for the switch?

Latch switch button was first thing I unhooked.. Still having same problem.. On bright side,, I have a good extra spare wiper motor and latch motor as i just bought both before doing anything,, lol..

baddriver, thanks for posting the above info. I have been having similar problems with the back glass all winter. Occasionally the rear glass will be "popped" when I start the truck after sitting all night. Yet neither the exterior switch nor the remote will open the glass. Just waiting for warmer weather before I pull the panel off.

Due you happen to have a part # for the switch?

Sw5855..found it on Amazon for 20 shipped

Motorcraft SW5855 Door Jamb Relay https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C5HTZM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mopHCbK7NVXEN

Thanks, baddriver.

Marty. As noted in post 2 and 4, there is most likely an issue in the wiring from the main connector at the top of the liftgate and the components.
The liftgate glass actuator has only a ground wire (black w/grey stripe) and a hot wire (brown w/blue stripe) from the SJB.

I got it fixed.. Ran a good ground to actuator motor n fixed it.. Now the push button dont work but release on keypad does.. Guessing button went bad.. Put new wiper motor on and now it works..

Back