Tom's '97 XLT registry | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tom's '97 XLT registry

Here's my registry. It's not going to really serve as much of a build log or anything, just to help keep track of the (minor) things I do to it along the way.
(Edit: yeah, that all turned out to not be true...... Keep reading to see what I mean)

This is my 1997 XLT. I bought it on 10/13/2010 with 117,500 miles for $2000. It has the SOHC V6, 3.55 rear end and the "Controltrac 4 wheel drive".

This is basically as it was when I brought it home:

Interior shots:pG[/IMG]
(lost photos)

Features:
side-step boards
6,000 lb receiver
Ford mudflaps (removed)
hood wind/bug deflector

This Explorer wasn't abused- just a little neglected. The interior is in good shape. The paint isn't in horrible shape- some dings and scratches here and there. All-in-all, good shape for a 13 year old vehicle.

Issues:
cracked and pitted windshield (fixed via post 61)
inoperable 3rd brake light (fixed via post 68)
inoperable fog lights (DS housing is smashed on backside and button on dash does not illuminate) (removed)
poor heater output (fixed via post 3)
coolant temp gauge not moving much (fixed via post 3)
pulsing front brakes (fixed via post 2)
slightly sagging rear end (fixed via post 7)
weak hood lift struts (fixed via post 5)
weak glass lift struts
weak tailgate lift struts
broken driver's seat recline handle (fixed via post 8)
leaking rear transfer case output seal (fixed via post 23)
worn shocks (fixed via post 7)
alignment out-of-whack (fixed via post 12)
lack of engine power (fixed via post 3)

So basically from here on out, this registry will be dedicated to how I have breathed some life back into this thing and some adventures along the way. I've already addressed some of the issues mentioned above. I'll try to post as many pictures as I can, but I know I've already failed on some.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are parking brake shoes? Looks like you have at least a couple more miles on those there LOL.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Years ago, just after I installed the F150 steering column gauge pod, I set the parking brake somewhere and then drove for several miles on the highway. See, the gauge pod completely blocks the parking brake indicator. Oops. Just haven't got around to it since.......

New axles are installed. New parking brake shoes installed- it can actually hold itself in position on my sloped driveway now!

I've been running an 80-series Land Cruiser snorkel for about 4 years now. I like the fact that it keeps my filter significantly cleaner than before. When I SAS'd the inner fender well liners didn't survive and therefore I end up ingesting my own dust churned up by my front passenger tire. After even short day trips on the trail, I'd check the filter and it was super dirty. Since the snorkel, I've logged a bunch of miles on roads where I was doing this:
DAB21189-0F47-48CC-8202-60D61B29CC8A.jpg

And after the trip my filter looked like it had been used for about 15,000 miles on the street. Vast improvement.

But I was never happy with how I mounted it. It looked stupid, in my opinion. I would actually make a point to take pictures at angles that didn't make it look stupid.
18624DBB-4996-435A-A62A-EA37E0CDB129.jpg

I just helped a friend install a snorkel on his 100-series Land Cruiser and I liked the overall shape of it. And I found an eBay listing that showed the dimensions of the 100-series snorkel and I liked the overall smaller shape. I was determined to install this one and not make it look stupid. I think I succeeded.
3BD1790A-8C30-4CC9-A1D8-CDC840CD3B91.jpg

I have a plan to reinstall it on a "new" fender this summer as part of a different project.

That does look better. Since the fender intake on the new snorkel, is back farther, what did you have do on the inner side to connect it to the filter box?

This is what plagued the original location. I didn’t know how to handle this problem. But after walking the aisles at the local Big Box Hardware store, I somehow stumbled into the appliance area and found some flexible dryer ducting. You can see the silver color poking through in the old hole.

While back, I thought about making one out of PVC pipe, but gave up on that idea. (cheesy) I researched parts for it and found K&N and Spectre, make flexible intake hose, couplers and adapters. It does add to the overall cost of the project by $25-$40.

Not sure what the tube size on the snorkel, and might be able to get hose to fit it, and a reducer for the stock inlet. I think Amazon even sells them.

Also looked at the see thru filter heads used on farm equipment for heavy trail dust. Dust collects in the bowl, and stops it from being sucked in. Just dump the bowl when it needs it. Saves the filters and engine contamination.

Just a thought. :dunno:

Are you talking about the pre-cleaners like this:
Air Intake Pre-Cleaners │Donaldson Engine & Vehicle

It’s a great idea. I’ve looked into it a little bit and it seems sizing is critical: too small and you really restrict your engine.

But to be honest, my set up as-is, works pretty well. Well enough that I doubt I’ll change. I’ve moved the intake so I’m not sucking in my own dust. The pre-cleaners are good for spinning the dust out that the snorkel does suck in- but I don’t run in too many big caravans that kick up a ton of dust.

Yep, Pre-cleaners, that's it.

A couple rigs can make it hard to see if your not in the lead. I always end up in the back of the pack it seems. Sometimes when we have 6-10 rigs blazing down the trails, I can't see 20 ft in front of me. lol

One thing I always wished my swingout tire carrier had was a way to keep it open. I thought about making some kind of pin that dropped into a hole, but I ultimately went a different direction.

I went to my local pick'n'pull and got a lift strut from a 1st gen Escape. No real reason. Should have maybe looked at an Expedition instead- but it might not be too late. $5 later and I had myself everything I needed:
C27C9C81-8227-4021-B44F-9F797FCE818D.jpg

All closed it fits really well:
DDC18939-5868-4D76-9083-A5DA2D02C05B.jpg

If I need to open the swingout all the way, it's easy to pop the spring steel clamp that secures the strut on the ball stud. And while the strut does assist with opening the swing out, it doesn't need to. I haven't tested it on any kind of incline. Soon though.

Well it was an interesting year for the Explorer. Went to Moab for a quick trip. Tried to do a trail way south of town to some old dwellings but we turned around early due to the driver of the Jeep in the group being concerned about the health of his Jeep.

The next day we did Hell’s Revenge. I’ve done this trail about 5 times before and the addition of the 35s made it nice. Didn’t get many pictures.

Later I took another friend 4wheeling close to home. This was supposed to be a quick trip: leave in the morning and back mid afternoon. It was almost midnight when I got dropped off.....

The trail descends down to a river. The plan was to eat lunch at the river and head back.

When we got to the river, I saw this across the river:

Long story short, this 2017 4Runner sat in the river with water over its dashboard for a couple hours before getting pulled out to this location. Unfortunately, it’s on the wrong side of the river. We tried to get it started, but the electrical system was hosed and engine was pumping out gallons water out the exhaust pipe.

Decided to try to pull him out but I knew it would be tough. It’s very steep and the trail is fill of crushed granite- basically ball bearings.

But it wasn’t long before I was no longer to produce wheel spin. With my 4.56 gears and the loose surface, I should have been able to spin easily. The only forward motion I could manage with this flooded anchor attached to me was via my winch. It took a long time to get him clear of a narrow section of the trail but just short of making the steep climb away from the river. My transmission was getting hot (210+) and we kept having to take breaks to let it cool back down (to 190 or so). We decided to leave his rig and head out in the Explorer. But midway up the steep climb, the Explorer came to a stop. After some figuring, I discovered that it was my transfercase binding up and preventing the truck from moving- which is why my winch was the only thing that allowed me to move while towing him. Once I forced the tcase out of 4lo, I was able to drive out. I stopped midway out to let my buddy catch up and I pulled the fill plug on the tcase, the fluid that came out was dark and scalding hot (this was the next day):

Once up to the road, we met the sherrif that was apparently out looking for the 4Runner driver, we started to head home. But it wasn’t long before the entire tcase just grenaded and I coasted to a stop. I had to get strap towed into town by my buddy. I left it there overnight and got it towed the next day.

Photobucket is being a bigger PITA than usual. Maybe I’ll get around to updating the pics.

I stopped using photobucket years ago after it broke the internet and every forum that had pictures hosted on its site.

what fluid was in your t case?

2017 4runner is expensive rig to be going swimming!!!

I stopped using photobucket years ago after it broke the internet and every forum that had pictures hosted on its site.

Yeah, I know. But after I ran out of the free storage they give you, I upgraded to a paid account. Then a couple years after that, they made the mistake of screwing everyone over- except those with paid accounts. So, since I’ve got so much tied back to those photobucket links, I decided to keep it.

I’ve been noticing that my Explorer leans a little to the driver side. It’s a little unnerving while on a shelf road above tree line. I think I found the culprit:
C946413B_844B_412B_90B4_9F218452A5FA_IMG_3064.jpg

The passenger side isn’t quite as bad. Ordered new springs and this time I’m going to keep the helper/overload spring that comes with the leaf pack.

Back