Radio screen blank | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio screen blank

Zman302

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer and the radio screen is totally blank. But it still has sound and you can even scroll through the stations, you just don’t know which one you’re on. I tried resoldering the power supply board with no luck, and even got one from a Mercury Mountaineer at the salvage yard, and it does the exact same thing. Today I got one from another explorer, and it doesn’t work at all, like not even any sound. The fuse for the radio is good, and when you turn the headlights on you can even see all the lights for the radio buttons work, but just a blank screen. I tried wiggling the wires in the connectors while it was hooked up, but the screen never turns on, what else in those can cause just a blank screen in the radio?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a power supply that feeds the display, they like to burn out.

Go through the archives.

You'll find all of the info you want/need.

I assume you have the Ford/Pioneer Mach radio in your truck. It's the one with the RDS button where the CLK button is on the cheaper radio (which otherwise looks the same). They all lose their displays eventually. It's because there are resistors mounted to power board that get too hot and break their solder joints. It can be fixed and modified to move these resistors further away from the circuit board. The PO of my 2001 EB had mine repaired shortly before I purchased the truck That was in 2011/12 and its display still works. There is a place called Fix My Radio you can send it to for repair. It will cost you about $100 plus shipping though.

If your radio has the CLK button. Dorman makes a replacement power board for it.

My Radio has the rds button. I used the dorman power supply with no luck, however it is not the power supply only in these RDS equipped MACH radios---

You also need to fix some tiny overheated ( from bad caps in power supply) solder joints, shown in post 1 here

1997 Mountaineer Radio lights out

My Radio has the rds button. I used the dorman power supply with no luck, however it is not the power supply only in these RDS equipped MACH radios---

You also need to fix some tiny overheated ( from bad caps in power supply) solder joints, shown in post 1 here

1997 Mountaineer Radio lights out

The Dorman replacement power board does not work in the Mach/RDS radios. I've spoken to Dorman tech support about this. For a long-lasting repair, I recommend you contact fixmyradio.com (assuming they're still in business) but upgrading to a new radio is probably your best option economically... I know, I'd rather keep the OE radio with its steering wheel mounted controls. CD changer and sub-woofer too, but a new radio would have the AUX input for your iPhone.

The Dorman replacement power board does not work in the Mach/RDS radios. I've spoken to Dorman tech support about this. For a long-lasting repair, I recommend you contact fixmyradio.com (assuming they're still in business) but upgrading to a new radio is probably your best option economically... I know, I'd rather keep the OE radio with its steering wheel mounted controls. CD changer and sub-woofer too, but a new radio would have the AUX input for your iPhone.

Thanks for the correction.

I sent the power supply to an ebay radio center to have it repaired

replacementradios on eBay

After receiving it and display still out, and contacting the ebayer, I discovered the bad solder joints mentioned in my earlier post. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Thanks for the correction.

I sent the power supply to an ebay radio center to have it repaired

replacementradios on eBay

After receiving it and display still out, and contacting the ebayer, I discovered the bad solder joints mentioned in my earlier post. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

For a bit more money these repair places can add an AUX port.

@Zman302

Just saying - You might consider posting a pic of the radio you have currently installed...

Don't see any mention of any particular type of head unit in the OP's post:

"I have a 1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer and the radio screen is totally blank. But it still has sound and you can even scroll through the stations, you just don’t know which one you’re on. I tried resoldering the power supply board with no luck, and even got one from a Mercury Mountaineer at the salvage yard, and it does the exact same thing. Today I got one from another explorer, and it doesn’t work at all, like not even any sound. The fuse for the radio is good, and when you turn the headlights on you can even see all the lights for the radio buttons work, but just a blank screen. I tried wiggling the wires in the connectors while it was hooked up, but the screen never turns on, what else in those can cause just a blank screen in the radio?"

21 Years later, and how many owners down the line, any number of FORD Head Units could be installed in the 1998 Explorer.

Hence, a picture would probably help out his cause - but hey - just saying...

It’s got the rds button on it. So what does that button do that’s so special?

W/o a working display - nothing. With a working display it allows you to see how to set the clock, displays information about the radio channel and music your listening to, traffic info and some other stuff. My point was that if the radio has the RDS button it's a Mach unit and Dorman does not make a replacement power board for it. You can pay to have it repaired and modified or replace it with an aftermarket radio.

So I tried 2 different Mach radios from the salvage yard, both had blank screens. And I ordered one on EBay that they tested, and even showed a picture of the screen working, but I plugged it in, and the screen was blank also. There has to be something in the vehicle causing it to do that. The connectors appear to be fine, I tried resoldering the power supply board in my old one with no luck. Does anyone know of any fuses or what color of wires feed the radio display?

The RDS button in the 98-01's mean that the HU is made by Pioneer, and it's either the Mach or Premium version. The Mach uses a sub in the rear, and only outputs high frequencies to the four door speakers. The Premium HU only has four full range speaker outputs.

FYI, a good radio shop could also install low level outputs, RCA outputs. My Mach has those five, added by a man who retired many years ago. I'd like to duplicate it for a spare of course.

Any radio 20 years old will have internal faults in the electronics, common things you read about with these Pioneer decks too. If you want to maintain the nice stock look, you'll have to find a way to repair them.

Among other things, the radio display power is fed from the cabin light dimmer wheel/switch - don't know which wire.

Try this - it's FREE :thumbsup:: With your Ex running, and the radio turned on, and the dimmer wheel at full intensity position, flick the dimmer wheel a couple of times towards the drivers door.

If the display doesn't light up, change the intensity position of the dimmer wheel a couple of different positions, and continue to flick it towards the driver's door.

To clarify; you want to flick the switch sideways so you will feel that you are overcoming the spring tension of spring-loaded wheels within the switch as you flick it.

If the radio display comes on while doing this, you need to rebuild your dimmer switch, or spend $60-70 on a new one.

NOTE: If the dimmer wheel/switch is the problem, a 21 year old dimmer wheel/switch off of Ebay will be in the same condition as the one you have.

Also, just saying, since you now have a collection of radios, you might want to test all of them to eliminate the dimmer wheel/switch. Switching radios it's a simple 5 minute swap-out. Never know - you might get lucky :chug:

YMMV and hope that helps

So I tried 2 different Mach radios from the salvage yard, both had blank screens. And I ordered one on EBay that they tested, and even showed a picture of the screen working, but I plugged it in, and the screen was blank also. There has to be something in the vehicle causing it to do that. The connectors appear to be fine, I tried resoldering the power supply board in my old one with no luck. Does anyone know of any fuses or what color of wires feed the radio display?

Years ago I bought a Mach radio off eBay where the seller showed a pic of the display working. When it arrived it did not work and the seller would not refund my money (eBay did). I eventually replaced the radio in that vehicle with the non-Mach version (no Amp/sub woofer output).

Even if you can locate the break in the electrical components and successfully repair it, the repair will not last very long. ALL of the Pioneer Mach radios suffer from this design flaw. Unless you can find someone who knows how to fix and modify the problem, the screens go blank. There used to be several places that repaired these radios, but at about 20 years old I don't know if anyone still does. Mine was repaired 9 years ago by the previous owner and still works, however the company that fixed it no longer exists.

Back