How to convert your 'AWD' Adrenalin to true 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to convert your 'AWD' Adrenalin to true 4x4

06bluez

Reaction score
City, State
St Charles MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Sport Trac Adrenalin
After lots of research I figured out how to convert an AWD Sport Trac Adrenalin to true 4x4.

You'll need a windows laptop, Forscan with license, an OBDII adapter that connects to your laptop, and the 4x4 button module (7L2Z-14B166-AA)

Update the Instrument Panel configuration
Using Forscan, access the Instrument Cluster (IC) module and updated the 720-01-01 block. Here's what I changed:

From #### 6AF3
To #### 6AF1​

Update the 4x4 module wiring
After studying the factory wiring documentation, I noticed that Adrenalin's don't have a fuse or wiring in the F23 slot under the hood. I traced this back and discovered that two wires need to be spliced together on the black connector that plugs into the 4x4 module.

Jumper together the Yellow/Red stripe wire and the White/Red stripe wire in the black plug to the 4x4 module. This gives 12v constant power to the White/Red stripe wire which is not connected from the factory.

Install the 4x4 buttons
Swap out the blank buttons for the 4x4 buttons (7L2Z-14B166-AA). All the wiring is there behind the center console trim.

That's all there is to it! After this change you can now use the low range that has been in your transfer case hiding all this time! After this change there is no difference in how the Auto 4x4 operates and everything works the same as before with regards to the auto 4x4 or 'AWD'. Also having the 4x4 buttons as a quick way to engage 4x4 high is much more convenient than having to navigate through the settings menu in the cluster to change it from 'AWD' to Locked. Now just press the 4x4 Auto or 4x4 High buttons.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any other Adrenalin owners interested in this?!? Anybody going to make the update?

I'm definitely interested I just don't have enough confidence in my own abilities.

After studying the factory wiring documentation, I noticed that Adrenalin's don't have a fuse or wiring in the F23 slot under the hood. I traced this back and discovered that two wires need to be spliced together on the black connector that plugs into the 4x4 module.

Jumper together the Yellow/Red stripe wire and the White/Red stripe wire in the black plug to the 4x4 module. This gives 12v constant power to the White/Red stripe wire which is not connected from the factory.
Where’s this 4x4 modules black connector on the truck?
A picture would be great! Ordering switch, my son was just here with his Forscan setup , I see exactly where to tweek code. He does a lot of this on his F150. Just need that black connectors 20.
Also do you know if there’s a Forscan list for our ST’s tweeks? Seems model years 2011 and newer when looking for “ Explorer “ is all that’s out there. Your the only one I’ve seen involved with Sport Tracs and Forscan so far for 2008 to 2010.
Mine is a 2008 Adrenalin and I appreciate this tweek !
I’m going for it! Thanks

the 4x4 module is right behind the glovebox. easiest is to empty out the glovebox, squeeze in the sides and swing it down, then remove the 7mm bolts that attach it to the dash to get it out of the way. that gives you clear access to it. its towards the drivers side of the blower housing. the connectors plug in from the bottom. Here's a picture i found that is close to a 2007+
Photobucket

the 4x4 module is right behind the glovebox. easiest is to empty out the glovebox, squeeze in the sides and swing it down, then remove the 7mm bolts that attach it to the dash to get it out of the way. that gives you clear access to it. its towards the drivers side of the blower housing. the connectors plug in from the bottom. Here's a picture i found that is close to a 2007+
Photobucket
Thanks again! Waiting on the switch delivery now.

Update.
Switch installed, 2 wires spliced, Forscan code tweeked ! It was that easy 1 2 3. I now have 4x4Low ! what I called “ Tank Mode” on my old 78-9 Broncos!! Full control over 4x4 and 4x4 auto (AWD). The instrument display automatically is tweeked too after Forscan change. Turn key and you now see yellow 4x4 and 4x4 low icons are alive.The adrenaline’s manual awd lock is no longer a menu item either.
Also mine is a 2008 STA and removing glove box wasn’t necessary, both plugs Black and Tan in 4x4 module were visible just ducking down to floor level. Easily spliced wires and plugged back in.
Totally Awesome and simple alteration for an ST Adrenalin !!
Many thanks 06bluez !!

nice! glad to hear someone else decided to give it a try

I added the switch to my '10 STA. Directions were spot on, took about 30 minutes for the install (not including the learning curve for Forscan - someone needs to write a "Forscan for Dummies" book!). One caveat, when writing the new code to the IC module, Forscan popped a checksum error warning, I chose to continue and everything went fine. I will rarely use the switch, but the blank buttons in the center stack bothered me, nice to fill them in. Total cost including the switch and the ELM 327 Forscan OBDII adapter from Amazon was about $92. The enhanced Forscan program was free for a two month trial (can be renewed indefinitely).

Just found this thread. I have both a 2006 Ex and Mounty. Both are V8. The Mounty is AWD and the EX is 2wd.

The Mounty is having intermittent issues with the trans not shifting automatically but will shift up and down fine via the shifter.

I need to get it to the shop and see what is happening.l Looks like it is electrical in the valve body. Stop cycle the key and all is fine again...

Once that is done I'll be doing this update to it!

Thanks for the research and the write up.

After lots of research I figured out how to convert an AWD Sport Trac Adrenalin to true 4x4.

You'll need a windows laptop, Forscan with license, an OBDII adapter that connects to your laptop, and the 4x4 button module (7L2Z-14B166-AA)

Using Forscan, access the Instrument Cluster (IC) module and updated the 720-01-01 block. Here's what I changed:

From #### 6AF3​
To #### 6AF1​

Install the 4x4 buttons
Swap out the blank buttons for the 4x4 buttons (7L2Z-14B166-AA). All the wiring is there behind the center console trim.

That's all there is to it! After this change you can now use the low range that has been in your transfer case hiding all this time! After this change there is no difference in how the Auto 4x4 operates and everything works the same as before with regards to the auto 4x4 or 'AWD'. Also having the 4x4 buttons as a quick way to engage 4x4 high is much more convenient than having to navigate through the settings menu in the cluster to change it from 'AWD' to Locked. Now just press the 4x4 Auto or 4x4 High buttons.
"After this change you can now use the low range that has been in your transfer case hiding all this time! "

No such luck! The AWD transfer case contains NO parts functioning to provide 4X4 operation as you say. Only a viscous clutch providing power to the front wheels. There is NO 4X4 LOW drive motor, no 4X4 LOW range. Entire different animal.

Just found this thread. I have both a 2006 Ex and Mounty. Both are V8. The Mounty is AWD and the EX is 2wd.

The Mounty is having intermittent issues with the trans not shifting automatically but will shift up and down fine via the shifter.

I need to get it to the shop and see what is happening.l Looks like it is electrical in the valve body. Stop cycle the key and all is fine again...

Once that is done I'll be doing this update to it!

Thanks for the research and the write up.
Any other Adrenalin owners interested in this?!? Anybody going to make the update?

Did my 2010 STA a few weeks ago--works fine.

From #### 6AF3​
To #### 6AF1​

Install the 4x4 buttons

Update.
Switch installed, 2 wires spliced, Forscan code tweeked ! It was that easy 1 2 3. I now have 4x4Low ! what I called “ Tank Mode” on my old 78-9 Broncos!! Full control over 4x4 and 4x4 auto (AWD). The instrument display automatically is tweeked too after Forscan change. Turn key and you now see yellow 4x4 and 4x4 low icons are alive.The adrenaline’s manual awd lock is no longer a menu item either.
Also mine is a 2008 STA and removing glove box wasn’t necessary, both plugs Black and Tan in 4x4 module were visible just ducking down to floor level. Easily spliced wires and plugged back in.
Totally Awesome and simple alteration for an ST Adrenalin !!
Many thanks 06bluez !!
Do you have neutral?

delete - duplicate

I can't live without 4X4 LOW

I just wanted to add to this post because I just purchased a Sport Trac Adrenalin AWD and one of the things that was bugging me leading up to the purchase was that I couldn't find a lot of information about the AWD(really an auto 4x4) system it used. Finding this post and knowing that I have an option to enable 4x4 low further encouraged me to go through with the purchase. Thank you so much!

I just wanted to add to this post because I just purchased a Sport Trac Adrenalin AWD and one of the things that was bugging me leading up to the purchase was that I couldn't find a lot of information about the AWD(really an auto 4x4) system it used. Finding this post and knowing that I have an option to enable 4x4 low further encouraged me to go through with the purchase. Thank you so much!

glad to help. the 'awd' bugged me for years until i finally figured this out after learning more about Forscan.

if anyone's wanting to do this mod to an Adrenalin and trying to find a 4x4 button module (7L2Z-14B166-AA) i have an extra one i can send to you, LMK...

if anyone's wanting to do this mod to an Adrenalin and trying to find a 4x4 button module (7L2Z-14B166-AA) i have an extra one i can send to you, LMK...
Hey @06bluez !

Thank you so much for your work figuring this out. I want to do this mod. Do you still have that switch available I'm interested in buying it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey @06bluez !

Thank you so much for your work figuring this out. I want to do this mod. Do you still have that switch available I'm interested in buying it.
yes i still have it. PM me

Back