Thermostat Thoughts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat Thoughts

03ExploKRV

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT V6
My 2003 XLT V6 was taking quite a while to warm up on cold mornings. I replaced the 195 degree thermostat with a 174 degree thermostat. It warms up quicker on cold mornings but I'm wondering if the colder thermostat is causing any issues anywhere being things were designed for the 195 stat.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, Guru, but it's been in the truck for three weeks now and has yet to throw a dash light. The only thing I've noticed is the gauge on the dash doesn't go up as far as with the 190 thermostat.

Ah, hell with it! I had to order a replacement housing and will just throw the 195 back in when I go to change that out.

Thanks man!

I would also suggest gong back to OE specs on the thermostat. Was your housing leaking? If so you were probably low on coolant, which can also cause heating to be inefficient. Been there on my older Sport Trac. Also, are you saying it is slow for air to get warm, or is there very little airflow form the vents? We were seeing very little airflow and that was caused by the max a/c door falling onto the top of the blower motor. Pretty common failure.. It is something you can repair though.

I can attest to fuel efficiency (MPG) difference from operating temps. My thermostat seems to prefer running cool. Never over 180* in the winter and barely 190* in the summer. For kicks I put a piece of cardboard down the front of the AC condenser to almost completely cover the condenser. Using forscan to monitor the temps my trans sits happily at 170* and engine usually 200*~210* now. MPG significantly improved! Maintained just over 17MPG doing 80MPH from DC to NY. (according to message center, previously was 16MPG) Never came close to that before! When it warms up I'm going to be replacing mine as well.

I can attest to fuel efficiency (MPG) difference from operating temps. My thermostat seems to prefer running cool. Never over 180* in the winter and barely 190* in the summer. For kicks I put a piece of cardboard down the front of the AC condenser to almost completely cover the condenser. Using forscan to monitor the temps my trans sits happily at 170* and engine usually 200*~210* now. MPG significantly improved! Maintained just over 17MPG doing 80MPH from DC to NY. (according to message center, previously was 16MPG) Never came close to that before! When it warms up I'm going to be replacing mine as well.

My brand new Motorcraft thermostat has me running 195-200 now.

I have one of these for monitoring the temp:
SGII_GA-01-00.png

» ScanGauge II

Was the old one stuck open when you removed it? The most common cause of slow warming is a thermostat that is stuck open.

I'd say the old thermostat was the cause of any change in warm up. The temp rating should have no affect on warm up times, that's based on total coolant volume and outside temps.

I'm surprised to read of any noticeable mpg change, most people can't tell the difference.

I had to do my radiator last May, and mistakenly installed a new 160 T'stat during the project. I did all coolant hoses and the T'stat, attempted to reach the timing chain but broke a WP bolt, and backed up(plus new balancer). My 302 has run around 170-180 during last Summer, and this Winter was 132-140 most of the time. I put a bunch of miles on my truck delivering mail, with a scan gauge displaying important data constantly. The older 95-01's have very large radiators, so seeing low coolant temps is very possible. I didn't get any CEL codes last year, but when outside temps stayed below about 50, then it'd trigger a code maybe once a day. In freezing temps, it generally does it once going to work, and maybe once every three days on the route. Mine is an extreme case, I meant to use a 180 T'stat, which will not throw a code. I have a 180 in my primary mail truck, a 99 SOHC Explorer. It ran about 180-190 all the time, and there was no real change in mpg versus the 195 OEM T'stat.

There is no extra wear from a colder T'stat, that is a myth, so help make it an old myth. Mileage can be effected depending on use, cruising down the highway versus city traffic. I've seen no real change in my constant stop and go job use. I prefer a 180 T'stat, for the(also immeasurable) better power. With the 160 T'stat I have just enough heat in Winter for limited use, for a DD I'd prefer a little more heat.

I did have to order another housing replacement as this Motorad I put in a year or so ago is leaking again. I went with the Gates model this time. I also had a Motorcraft OEM thermostat in there prior to changing to the lower temp stat. I have a new OEM spec. Stant that I'm going to drop in to the new housing.

I did have to order another housing replacement as this Motorad I put in a year or so ago is leaking again. I went with the Gates model this time. I also had a Motorcraft OEM thermostat in there prior to changing to the lower temp stat. I have a new OEM spec. Stant that I'm going to drop in to the new housing.

I personally would not trust Stant. OReilly sells Motorcraft if you don't want to wait on shipping from RockAuto.

Stant used to be great, like many brands it's hard to know any more. The Motorad used to be a small brand, now it's made by Murray I think. I have had two of those Failsafe T'stats in my 99 Explorer. One was popped open(locks open) from a tripped relay feeding the electric cooling fan.

I didn't catch that after washing the engine, the "marine" relay wasn't water proof evidently. I discovered it from a high idle, it hit 270* and lost about a liter of coolant. I found a 2 liter bottle nearby and added water after figuring out the relay issue. I bought a new Failsafe 180 for it and later "unlocked" the old T'stat, and reused it later. I think those are good parts.

Back