CEL came on, OBD II port dead

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
on my drive home today the CEL came on. Got home, broke out my trusty obd II scanner. Plug it in, nothing. I thought maybe it was the cable or the unit, so I tried it in my 97 mounty and it came right on.

Pop off the fuse panel to find fuse 5 is empty. Figure ok, ill just toss a new fuse in. Run out n grab a new 10a fuse, toss it in, still nothing. Dont know if it matters but my cig lighter doesnt work either.

I have an appt with the used car dealer I got this from this weekend, but I honestly dont trust them as there are just a lot of wierd issues, and they seem very careless (didnt put driver door panel back together correctly, didnt put plexiglass for reading lamps back in corectly).

id like to get the port working so I know exactly what code is being thrown.

Any other fuses im missing??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you HAVE a blown fuse somewhere. check again.

If it is your 2001, Fuse #17 a 25 amp fuse according to manual.

If it is your 2001, Fuse #17 a 25 amp fuse according to manual.

yes its my 2001.

17 is the cigar lighter. I havent tried swapping out that fuse yet.

Yep it does datalink connector and cigar lighter.

Yep it does datalink connector and cigar lighter.

Sweet. Swapped out the blown fuse 17, plugged my phone chgr into the outlet, it was a little loose, wiggled it around and heard that lovely electrical sound that means I just blew my last 25a fuse... SSIIIIIIIIIIIIIICKK

Guess ill pick up some more 25a fuses tomorrow.

swapped out with a new 25a fuse and the dlc works.

p0455

did i ever tell anyone here how much i love you all in a pinch?

I let the ground wire touch the back of my cigar lighter when I unplugged it last weekend and got an awesome electric show. It also blew my fuse which was #17 on my 2000. The manual says 25 amps but mine had a 20 amp fuse originally. Fine with me since I don’t use the lighter, just the obd port.

Back