Transmission Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Issue

Jez141

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 limited
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to find out if anyone has had the issue i am experiencing with my 2006 Explorer V8 with 6R60 Trans.
I have not had the car very long so have not put many miles on it yet and had a few issues when i got it, so far i have replaced all the plugs and coils (had loose plug) done full fluid service and new Cats (P0420)
I have also dropped the trans pan and replaced fluid and filter but i am getting when trying to stay at a steady 40 mph the trans feels like it shifts up and down constantly not sure if this is Torque converter lock up or not?
You can see the Tach jump about 200rpm when its doing it but get it up to 60-70 and doesnt seem to happen then? Any ideas Guys?
Thanks Jez

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was it doing this before the pan drop?

How did you refill ?

It needs to be hot and running.

I would definitely say torque converter. I can feel mine doing it occasionally, but only around 60 when Im on a slight downgrade, I think its just the slight downhill is confusing the transmission, it wants to lock up, but then thinks i am decelerating so unlocks, over and over and over till i get to the bottom of the hill or change speeds.

Both 5 &6 are overdriven gears. Driving 40mph on a flat road would require very light throttle pressure and therefore trans is "searching" for appropriate gear for given throttle input.
Same would happen driving up or down hill with minimum throttle. Turn off OD or increase throttle pressure.

It would be helpful to know if the computer is commanding the converter to lock and unlock, if it is maybe a reprogram or a tuner could help. A good scanner may be able to watch this command in the data stream.

These are known for converter failure and worn valve bodys and bushings, last two we did both had converter shudders and TCC issues, both had bad converters.

Thanks for the reply's i will see what live data i can bring up on my scantool and check lockup
I'm not really sure if it was doing it before the pan drop as i didn't drive it much before but did make sure i refilled correctly

Well looks like its going to be a torque converter replacement. Just wanted to ask if you guys could recommend any particular company or brand of converter? Thanks

When mine failed at 200k, I just went to Ford dealer and got one over the counter for about $ 270. You can find them cheaper on line for maybe a 100 even, but I did not trust them. I gave the parts guy the VIN and he ordered the exact replacement. I preferred to pay 100 more or so and do it once, it's not as simple as changing an air filter :)
80k later no issues.

When mine failed at 200k, I just went to Ford dealer and got one over the counter for about $ 270. You can find them cheaper on line for maybe a 100 even, but I did not trust them. I gave the parts guy the VIN and he ordered the exact replacement. I preferred to pay 100 more or so and do it once, it's not as simple as changing an air filter :)
80k later no issues.

I have gone for a genuine item but i end up having to pay ridiculous shipping charges on top as cant get parts for these over the counter from UK ford dealers :-(

Did nor realize you were in UK :)

Update your sig.

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to find out if anyone has had the issue i am experiencing with my 2006 Explorer V8 with 6R60 Trans.
I have not had the car very long so have not put many miles on it yet and had a few issues when i got it, so far i have replaced all the plugs and coils (had loose plug) done full fluid service and new Cats (P0420)
I have also dropped the trans pan and replaced fluid and filter but i am getting when trying to stay at a steady 40 mph the trans feels like it shifts up and down constantly not sure if this is Torque converter lock up or not?
You can see the Tach jump about 200rpm when its doing it but get it up to 60-70 and doesnt seem to happen then? Any ideas Guys?
Thanks Jez
Does it do it with the OD off? If no then it is probably the torque converter shuddering. My shop told me that doing a flush and service with Amsoil usually fixes it. Just had mine done and it completely fixed my issue. While driving steadily at 40-45 mph it would make a shudder sound like driving over rumble strips but without the viberation. 2007 Explorer V8

UPDATE.....

Have now fitted my rebuilt Torque Converter and refilled transmission
Went for a test drive and as soon as converter should have gone into lockup the wrench light came on!!
Puled the codes and i am now getting a P0741 tcc stuck off which i wasn't getting before not sure where to go now?
Do i replace tcc solenoid or go back to the vendor i bought the Torque converter from?
Converter was a bit banged up in shipping but not sure if that could cause it
Need to go back into it today and see what data i can get from my scantool
If anyone has any ideas??

Well just to finish this thread off i managed to get a full refund from the supplier of the Torque Converter
Ordered another from different supplier and i have just fitted it and all is now good!
Nice smooth shifts and no judder and TCC lockup working perfectly again........

Back