So, a stock Wrangler and Explorer go into the woods.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So, a stock Wrangler and Explorer go into the woods....

doonze

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, Ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 X Sport
Been a disappointing day. I was too pick up my new 93 Explorer today, but 2 hours before we were supposed to meet for me to pick it up I get a call from the sellers. They are out of state due to family emergency and so of course can't be home to give me the keys... So maybe I'll be an Explorer owner by Monday? I can dream... :(

So anyway, something I've been wondering about. My best friend used to own a Wrangler and he used to take me off-roading from time to time. He would take that thing places I though no vehicle should be able to go. It was bone stock. So how does a stock Explorer measure up off road to a Jeep? He swears most of the places we went only a Jeep could ever get there, but I don't know if they are as "bad" as their rep. What are your guys opinions?

I mean I know they've got the wheel base of a match box car, and that's a + in their favor, but do they have any major advantages design wise we don't? Better suspension? Better axles? Better 4x4, or is it mostly just hype? What about modified Explorers, do they pull ahead?

Like I've said, my first 4x4 in my 18 years of driving, learning as I go here. I pretty much know what 4wd IS, I pretty much know how 4wd works... It's USING 4wd that's going to be the learning curve here! LOL :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One thing I hate, is how all Jeep owners around here are so into theyreselves, like their **** dont stink, just cus they drive a jeep.

(Around here, every jeep owner thinks hes the ****)

It's a second gen but pretty much the same as a first gen. Actually first gens are a little more capable...

i believe explorers are better.

you have a 31 spline 8.8 rear end. (jeep guys put them in there trucks) heeps a d35
stronger front ends (ring gears i think are bigger)

Jeep peeps dont' know ****. That's why they have a jeep and we have an explorer. They end up changing their axles out for Ford axles so they don't break. The cherokees don't have a frame and have cooling issues. Grand cherokees are expensive to lift and come in automatic. If you get a explorer sport the wheelbase issue is mostly moot. If you get a 4 door you are wheeling in luxery and style.

In regards to sticking that thing places that no other vehicle should go, that's probably true. Stock for Stock I will definitely tell you a stock wrangler will go more places than a stock Explorer. That is what they are built for. Ground clearance, weight, power to weight ratio, approach and departure angles, all Jeep again.

Built vs. Built? Well that's a different question, You can say the same argument that Explorers are setup with Jeep axles (look at Jefe's Explorer with a rubicon axle and pretty much a jeep lift kit). They are built for different reasons. If you throw enough money at anything you can make it go places. I could not have built a jeep to do the things my Explorer can do, likewise, I cannot go places that jeeps with similar money thrown at them can go.

I prefer my truck for what I do but I get spanked all day long by regular jeeps on certain terrain and spank them on others.

I never realized how much bigger a 4 door Explorer on 36s is vs a Jeep even with a stretched wheelbase on 36s until Moab last year when Shawn and Diff Wack Dady both jumped into the same obstacle one after another. Diff Wack Daddy's rig is one of the most capable on this site and definitely has it's places where the longer wheelbase is a good thing, but this wrangler was built for similar money and I would say schooled everyone in our Group in Moab. This is where a lighter, smaller jeep is a good thing, Kevin was diggin his spare tire in the ground trying to climb out of this and the jeep had all kinds of room to get repositioned. It took a while but the Jeep finally climbed out. Now, on those same obstacles, I've seen several videos and pics of upside down Jeeps laying like a turtle in those hot tubs because the owner gets on the gas and it goes over backwards. The Explorers wheelbase would probably not let that happen.

http://rides.webshots.com/video/3098413850089462589qpSFhc

http://rides.webshots.com/video/3071637690089462589FxZWGm?vhost=rides

I was just talking smack : ) Jeep peeps tend to make jeep only clubs and are snobs for the most part. Can't wait for my explorer to kick some jeep ass!

Ha, looks like I am ahead of the game. I am heading off to college in a few months and I am taking my explorer. I will be turning it into an off road vehicle and in about a year, my mom is giving me her 05' Jeep Lareado. I will be using that to tow the explorer around. Plus, my dad and I are rebuilding a 84' CJ-7 Jeep Renegade.

The great thing about building an Explorer is that its something different. People don't see Explorers running around on 33's or 35's every day and it gets attention. You see Jeeps lifted every day and its nothing special. You can surprise people with what a built Explorer can do.

A few years ago at Uwharrie I was climbing a steep switchback trail with loose rock. About 100 ft from the top I lost traction and stopped. The jeep guys up top started laughing. I opened the door and slid out with the bottom of the door jamb at my chest, and I'm 6' tall. I walked around to the front and locked the hubs... then I heard 'Oh S***, that was 2 wheel drive!' from the guys up top. That made my year, and that was with a stock limited slip rear and 3.73's.

Cool, that's about what I thought, about 70% driver, 25% Vehicle, and 5% luck. For some people Luck and Driver might be reversed!! LOL.

I do see the point about entry and exit, jeeps (wrangler) don't have much sticking out past their front or rear axles. Not like many other SUV's. I remember that from my friends Jeep.

But it answers my question, no one said "explorers suck off road" so if I use my head, and explore my limits I should be fine. Kinda like learning how a new sports car takes the corners, that's more what I'm used too, building autocross cars and all.

Again thanks for the input all, I got a link sent to me on some 4x4 guides so I'm going to check those out too. Knowledge is power, and there are better ways to learn then a turtled explorer!

My friend has a Grand Cherokee and I have been able to tell that he can navigate better in smaller areas but in hill climbs and mud My Exploder owns him. Alot of it depends on the driver too. Another problem with the Grand Cherokees is bumper clearance. They rub on everything.

The driver is the biggest part of it.. Ive seen people hit holes wide open petal to the metal and talk about how tough it was .. then I just ease through the same thing barely spinning a tire..

10 year old thread... oh well, I have a little time. I test drive cars for Roush Industries, mostly Jeeps at the moment. Here are some highlights:

Wrangler - The Jeep people visualize when they hear Jeep. LOL, wow, this is hard to summarize, I write about 3 pages of comments on different Jeeps every day. There are many different trim levels:
1. Sport - As bare-bones as it gets, no electrical to the doors... talking crank windows. But, that means no cable to the door, so it comes off in seconds.
2. Sahara - Add back all the power conveniences.
3. Rubicon - Off-road by design with factory front and back lockers, and sway bar disconnects, all operated from the drivers seat. Integrated AUX power circuits for aftermarket lights and whatnot.
4. Gladiator - New for 2020, you probably have not seen one of these yet. They add a pickup bed and heavier towing capacity. (Rides like crap, I hate driving them)

Also new for 2020, a diesel engine for the Sahara, Rubicon, and most likely the Gladiator later on. So, if you see a Wrangler at a diesel pump, yeah, that's new. Enthusiasts are chomping at the bit for these but the one I drove just felt heavy, no real advantage that I can see.

And...... the Wranglers suck. All of them. I have done extended driving of pretty much every Wrangler they make, and they all develop body squeaks and rattles within the first 25,000 miles. They are not well built... I would not own one and you shouldn't either.

That said, the most exciting vehicle I have driven in a very long time was a Grand Cherokee Trackhawk. It's a ridiculous car really, but a little crazy can be fun. The Trackhawk gets a V-8 Hemi and supercharger for an output of 707 hp, top speed of 180mph, and a decent towing capacity.... and pretty decent 4x4 too, and a very nice leather interior, I mean, real soft leather, not the black-dyed junk. $85k though, and in the end, it's just a fast Grand Cherokee. I cannot think of a single reason to own one, but I want one anyway. A more reasonable alternative is a Grand Cherokee with a normally aspired Hemi. Really just as fast unless you have an autobahn to play around on. There was a diesel Grand Cherokee, discontinued this year. Too bad, that was a nice vehicle, good 4x4, rock solid.

The regular Cherokees, the Renegade, and the Compass aren't worth talking about. There are far better alternatives out there.

Ah... what else... I have been driving Chevy Blazers... junk. I mean, they aren't terrible, but they are, at this point, just another SUV with a Blazer badge.

So..... we also have a 2020 Explorer Police Interceptor in for testing, but I haven't got my turn yet. Hopefully soon!

sounds like a fun job. my uncle was a state trooper back in the '70s and on up to about 2000 when the mustang trooper cars came out he got to drive on to Spokane from Olympia wide open it must have been a thrill.

I used to take my stocker limited slip explorer on 31’s into pretty rough spots. So long as you watch the clearance of the diffs, you can run pretty aggressive. Get’s even better if you lift it and add bigger tires.

A more reasonable alternative is a Grand Cherokee with a normally aspired Hemi.
I'll make an admission here...
I have both Explorer and Grand Cherokee.

The GC is an '05 Limited with the V8 Hemi. Yes, the Hemi is a LOT OF FUN with that "go pedal"!!! :burnout: It's a good thing gas is cheap nowadays! It is stock, has over 200k miles on it, can tow my boat w/o issue, is capable with the limited 4WD use I use it for, and is under-sprung with stock springs. Luxury in the dirt!

The '93 Explorer has nowhere near the interior luxuriousness of the GC, but it is nice and in good shape. The Ex is a "mellow" drive around town. By that I mean, I never speed in the Ex. In the GC, I'm lucky I don't get tickets on a regular basis! I feel more connected to the road/dirt in the Ex, and I like that feeling of being in touch. It's a totally different experience. I would drive my Ex more, but I kind of like the fact that it still has just barely over 100k miles on it. Great truck for it's age!

Drivetrain comments: The GC has a transmission in it that is suitable for a big truck. In fact it's the same trans used in all the V8 trucks except behind a Cummins. It's fully electronic and looks like it's on steroids under the Jeep! Heavy too! Front drive shaft joints leave everything to be desired (Rpezza style sucks)! Full-time 4WD makes the thing corner like it's on rails.

The Ex is just more fun in the dirt, even though I think the drive train isn't quite up to the toughness of the Jeep (in early 90's stock trim). Yes, the auto-hubs aren't that great, but they work for my use. I like u-joints better than CV joints. Explorers are easier to work on.

For the most part, the Ex gets better mileage in city driving than the GC. Highway mileage is a different story.

I like both, but for different reasons. And they each are in my stable of vehicles for different uses!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had a 2wd '95 Grand Cherokee for a while. Never really took it off road, but it was planted. The 4.0 I6 was silky smooth and a joy to drive. What finally took it out was electrical issues.

I have owned 4 Explorers 1st gen, 2nd gen, and 3rd gen Sport. None has felt as stable as that Grand Cherokee. If I had an opportunity to get one again I would.

However, the Explorer's are definitely just as fun and actually have more room in the 4 door's than the GC. I also like the body on frame better.

What really bugs me is the Jeep attitude, the Jeep wave, etc. It's not as much the vehicles themselves, it's the people who drive them. That and they are damn expensive for what you get.

Back