Replacing power steering rack | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing power steering rack

Lebult

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer LTD 4.6
Anyone done this on their own that could pass on some tips?

I have the workshop manual and I've followed the steps but there's so little room in there, I can get the rack unbolted from the steering column. I can't get enough leverage with one hand and the other is holding the socket because the u joint on the socket extension pops keeps popping it off at the tiniest bit of force.

I suspect I'll have issues getting the lines off too

Do you have access to a lift? If not I wouldn’t do this honestly. There was a reason I paid good money to have mine done. Plus you will need an alignment for sure regaurdless of who does it.

What are the symptoms that would indicate the need to replace the rack? I assume something is worn, and will continue to get worse.
I have a small dead spot in the steering. Could this be an issue with the rack, 1 or more of the shafts, or could be either?

I had fluid leaking from the driver side boot, so the seal was toast.

I'm not sure what might cause your issue. Air in the system maybe? Broken/worn tooth on your rack or pinion ? Don't know if the clock spring would affect that.

Is it in the same steering wheel position each time? That could be a broken tooth on the rack

Back